How to: use apple earpods (mic too!) with L520

nyolc8

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I just got an 520 two weeks ago and I had an ipod touch before. I used apple earpods with that. The 520 headset soundquality is suck compared to the earpods quality. If I just plug earpods into the L520, only the speakers and the middle button workd, so if someone call me while I listen music, I can't talk to him. I found a method which enables the mic somehow. So here is the trick:

- push and hold all three buttons on the apple earpods
- plug the headset into the 520 while you holding all the buttons
- after plugged in, continue holding the buttons for 5-10seconds

now mic should work on the earpods with your lumia 520. Note: middle button won't work when you plug in the headset like this.

I tested this many times and always works. Hope this helps others too.

voidcx

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
You, sir, are a legend. I've been waiting for this type of tut for a while...I also use earpods with my 520 because they have the best build and audio quality

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

nyolc8

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
My phone now "stuck" in this mic working mode. So now I don't have to press any button to get the mic working with an apple headset. BUT now button not working even with nokia headset. lol? How to restore this? :straight: Any idea? Anyone else got this?

Edit: just wondering... I plugged in headset today the first time since black update... maybe that changed how these things work?

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I generally do not recommend using Apple accessories, particularly headsets, with other mobile devices. The reason being that they wire the headsets differently than the recognized standard. That's why you're running into these issues. They have their own non-compliant standard that causes this type of mess.

JyhJiin

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a lumia 520 (cyan firmware) too and got an EarPod few days back. But the middle button didn't even work by default. That's pretty sad actually

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes