SanDisk Extreme 64 GB microSDHC Class 10 UHS-I

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone here using a card like this in their Ativ? I experience major problems and it seems to be some sort of an compality issue with the Ativ.

When I try to use the card the phone does not find any files from it. Example when taking a picture, it takes it, but camera roll is empty when trying to view it. Even from the camera app its not possible to swipe right to view the taken pictures. When putting the card to pc, the files is present and written. Same with music thats been put via card-reader in pc or via cable directly to phone. The album covers shows up on "new" in the music hub, but cant be played and albums folder is empty.

I tried 2 different cards, both work normally on my Surface. I tried to format the cards on the phone and PC.

I have no problems using my SanDisk Ultra 32gb card i nthe Ativ, that works prefectly.

Seems pretty clear combatility issue to me, Im just wondering is anyone else using this card succesfully or do I have cars from bad batch?

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, both cards format and phone makes the folders. The phone just cant access the data stored on them. Im not even able to view a photo taken seconds before. Tested one card on Lumia 620, works without problems. Its a compatibility issue.

ylap

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, have no problems, but I use the same card of 32 GB size. All sources says ATIV S supports only up to 32 GB cards. So 64 GB may be a problem.

Bonka

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I would run H2testw or something similar on that 64GB card. What file system are you formatting with? exFAT or FAT32? I would also use a 3rd party formatter like guiformat or diskpart. There are a lot of QC issues with high capacity SDXCs could be a faulty card at the end of the day.

If the above fails, I would do a factory reset on the phone.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Factory reset is probably out of the question for me, too much work to get everything back to normal.

I have formtted the cards exFAT, but also on the phone, which should be the best way always. I think it has to be a compatibility issue as I get identical behaviour with 2 cards. Both work on my Surface and PC without any problems and I tested one of the cards in Lumia 620 with GDR2 and it worked perfectly.

Maybe firmware update would help, Im running the latest developer preview, last firmware update from Samsung is GDR2. Iactually have a friend that is running the official GDR3, so he has the latest firmware from Samsung, I need to test a card in he's phone.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Factory reset is probably out of the question for me, too much work to get everything back to normal.

I have formtted the cards exFAT, but also on the phone, which should be the best way always. I think it has to be a compatibility issue as I get identical behaviour with 2 cards. Both work on my Surface and PC without any problems and I tested one of the cards in Lumia 620 with GDR2 and it worked perfectly.

Maybe firmware update would help, Im running the latest developer preview, last firmware update from Samsung is GDR2. Iactually have a friend that is running the official GDR3, so he has the latest firmware from Samsung, I need to test a card in he's phone.

My guess is that the Extreme versions are incompatible, I'm using a 32GB Ultra version in my ATIV S with GDR3 and the latest Samsung Updates, formatted as exFAT, with no problems. Sorry I can't be more helpful than that :-(

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
My guess is that the Extreme versions are incompatible, I'm using a 32GB Ultra version in my ATIV S with GDR3 and the latest Samsung Updates, formatted as exFAT, with no problems. Sorry I can't be more helpful than that :-(

Incorrect.

I use the Samsung 32GB Class 10 microSD and experienced the EXACT same issue.

Windows Phone has compatibility issues with Class 10 cards in general, not Extreme cards.
Class 10 cards cause duplicates of photos, videos and music in your library and if you delete one of the multiple copies, the remaining copies become corrupt or deleted. (NOTE: One way of avoiding duplicates is to transfer media to your card via a dedicated SD slot. But photos taken WILL have duplicates no matter what.

And then I hit a point where I can't find my photos, videos or music anywhere, no matter how many times I re-formatted it.
How I fixed it was because my ATIV S shattered and while waiting for my new screen to arrive, I didn't use my phone for 2 weeks. After that, the problem fixed itself and everything is fine/

Geo L

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I just got Londisk 32GB Micro SD Class 10 SDHC. It si working fine.
I was thinking to get 64gb microSDHC Class 10 UHS-I, but for now I am fine with 32gb.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Spoke to SanDisk, they said 64gb is not officially supported on the Ativ. They said talk to Samsung, if Samsung says it works, they will replace the card.

For now, 32gb Ultra is working fine.

tbb007

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
FWIW, I've had issues with SanDisk 64 gb class 10 cards in a couple of devices (including a Samsung Galaxy media player); they work for a while, then one day can't be recognized, and when I put them in the computer, they need to be reformatted.

SanDisk has authorized warranty replacements twice, but I'm not sure what I'll do when I get the latest replacement. Maybe let my wife try it in her camera.

When I ordered my Ativ Neo, I just decided to go with a 32 gb class 4 card. No problems after a week or so. Fingers crossed.

Geo L

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I just got SanDisk Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC Class 10, it is working fine, the phone accepted it fine, as 62.5GB.
The only problem is the writing speed, is very low compared with the 32gb CL10 I have, writes only 4.20 Mbps vs 16Mbps on 32Gb.
I think is class 4, or 6 not 10.

IMG_20140320_135050421.jpg

Last edited:

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Well I did some more testing with intresting results....

So I have the SanDisk Ultra 32gb on the phone. I started to see doubles appear on the photos hub, so I decided to tests with ll other cards I have. While I was at it, I decided to test also the speeds.

Something came up: NONE of the other of the cards I was able to access the data. All cards tested are new, I opened the box for this myself. So when I put the card to the device, it sees it, I can format etc, but when I take a picture I cant access it over the pictures hub. Other data too is not viewable... So now Im thinking I need to hard reset my device, which is a PITA. Ill wait for the 8.1 update and do the reset then.

Well see if it sorts thi and even the 64gb Extreme card starts working. I also have a friend with Ativ, I need to test these in he's device. Previously I had Samsung 32gb Class 10 card working on my device just fine, not the exact same card, but still it should work without a doubt.

Speeds:

SanDisk Ultra 32gb UHS-1 = 5,10mbs
SanDisk Extreme 64gb UHS-1 = 9,58mbs
Samsung 32gb Class 6 = 9,10mbs
Samsung 32gb Class 10 = 5,80mbs

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
All my cards are from big chain store fronts.

Beware when buying cards from eBay. I once bought a Samsung 32gb class 10 card. German seller with long history, that card was great. Opened up my 8gb HTC 7 Pro and made it 32gb. That was a good card.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Okeyyyy plot thickens... Tested the cards in my friends Ativ S, all seem to be working just fine. Even the sanDisk Extreme 64gb worked. I put it in, formated it and took few pictures. All appeared in the pictures hub llike they should.

Problem is then in my Ativ S. I guess I have to do a hard reset, which I hate... Maybe its about time though now that WP8.1 is coming hopefully in few weeks.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok problem solved. There was something wrong with my phone, did a hard reset yesterday, which actually gave a new known problem where programs wont instal anymore from store. (Ativ+GDR3 problem), so I had to flash a new rom.

Now the SanDisk Extreme 64gb card works normally.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire