Omg scratches

Status
Not open for further replies.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that there are some small scratches along the edge of my screen. Since I had a flip cover case on it, my screen seemed protected. They are along the right and left side. Not a big deal, but I don't know how they got there. Looks to me like stress scratches but I only keep the phone in my shirt pocket, never my pants. Anyone else see these?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nope. I don't use a case or screen protector, I just keep my phone in my pocket. Not had any scratches or cracks anywhere.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hmm past the 14 days, and no insurance, besides not worth a claim even if I had it. So I guess it's up to Nokia.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Glad I got the phone free. Looks like NokiaCares is trying to say it is my fault. In that case, this is my last Nokia phone. Now that I know they are there, I keep noticing it. ☹

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not something I've read about before now. The odds are that something you've unknowingly done has created these marks, might be the case you're using it together with how you're storing the phone when not in use.

I don't see how Nokia would see itself at fault for accidental damage caused by yourself.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It's not something I've read about before now. The odds are that something you've unknowingly done has created these marks, might be the case you're using it together with how you're storing the phone when not in use.

I don't see how Nokia would see itself at fault for accidental damage caused by yourself.

First off, I never put it in my pants pocket.
Second, I never dropped it.
Third the case's edge does not touch the screen.
Fourth The phone is stored on it's back, face up. With the flip cover (which has a soft inside) covering it.
I did not rub it on the edge with sandpaper or a brillo pad. I did clean is using a lens cleaning cloth. There is no reason for these to appear. I had this phone for 2 or 3 weeks. So then explain how they got there?

screen.jpg

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
You bought it without scratches. Now there are some. Unless MS or Nokia sent some undercover agents to scratch the edges of your phone, there's simply no way it is the their fault. Which means that unknowingly, they were caused by you.
If it was a manufacturing defect, I would rather blame Corning than Nokia.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok. but this is still the first I've seen of this particular problem.

Cases with screen protectors are a two edged sword. They can keep stuff out, but also serve to retain any dirt that somehow finds its way under the cover. So, if you get dust or small pieces of grit in the soft lining of the cover, then it's just going to be continually rubbed into the glass.

Same thing happens when you wash/polish your car with a small bit of dirt in the cloth - you end up with swirls all over your polished bodywork. I've never used a case on any of my phones and rarely had screen problems.

But maybe there's some Gorilla Glass that's softer than other batches.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You bought it without scratches. Now there are some. Unless MS or Nokia sent some undercover agents to scratch the edges of your phone, there's simply no way it is the their fault. Which means that unknowingly, they were caused by you.
If it was a manufacturing defect, I would rather blame Corning than Nokia.

So, somehow I got up in the middle of the night and used a brillo pad on the side of my glass, not the whole glass, just the edge where it is done. Please that is the only scenario that even has the remote possibility to be true. It is a manufacturing defect and Nokia should replace it. They can then bill Corning if they want. I did not cause the scratches, I did not inadvertently do something to cause them to be there. If you can't accept that then there is no reason to go on with this conversation. This is NOT my first smartphone, nor will it be my last. It may be my last Nokia, but that is yet to be seen.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So that is what must have happened, I woke up and scratched my screen in the middle of the night. Well @Nokiahelps figures that is what happened too. Fine, this is the LAST Nokia I will ever own, I may even dump WP too. I had my HTC one for about 4 months and not a single scratch on it. I think I will toss this phone in the trash and buy me another HTC One..... Better built than Nokia.... And NO I will not sell it, it cost me nothing, and that is what it is worth to me. Therefore I will have more fun bring a sledgehammer to it then to sell this crap phone to anyone else.....

jchapman01

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I think I will toss this phone in the trash and buy me another HTC One..... Better built than Nokia.... And NO I will not sell it, it cost me nothing, and that is what it is worth to me. Therefore I will have more fun bring a sledgehammer to it then to sell this crap phone to anyone else.....
you, sir, are stupid if that is what you do. Every screen can scratch. You're either a liar or very stupid if you believe that you have been careful every minute of every day when using your phone. Surface scratches happen. Would you attempt to return your car like a petulant child if scratches "miraculously appeared" on your fender?

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
you, sir, are stupid if that is what you do. Every screen can scratch. You're either a liar or very stupid if you believe that you have been careful every minute of every day when using your phone. Surface scratches happen. Would you attempt to return your car like a petulant child if scratches "miraculously appeared" on your fender?

Sorry, I don't need your insults. OK.. If I scrap this phone, then it is my choice. Lucky where, I live I have the freedom to do things like that. Is it stupid? Maybe? Maybe not. But no one has explained how it happened. I did not pay for the phone, I did not renew my contract to get the phone, it was totally free. AT&T gave it to me for the crap they put me through to get it. My HTC One DID NOT SCRATCH after 4 months of not taking good care of it. This phone did scratch (Or mini-fractures) after only a few weeks of babying it. And unlike a CAR, I did not park it in some shopping mall, I did not go 55 mph in the dust or snow or rain. It was totally covered when I wasn't using it, and I never clean the screen with anything but a lens cleaning cloth I carry with me ALL THE TIME!! Since I do not know you, and you don't know me, I would refrain from coming to such conclusions. And I know I am STUPID, I am continuing to argue with idiots. It ends here...

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I get your frustration, and I know scratches on the screen are hard to ignore. But the thing is, no one is blaming you for the scratches. As a fellow poster pointed out, cases are a double edged sword. Besides, even though you keep the phone in your shirt pocket, the ginormous screen surface area of the 1520 exposes it to a lot of contact with foreign bodies.
Believe me, it doesn't take a sand paper to get the screen scratched. My brother has a 1020 which he has covered with an Amzer case and put on a screen guard on the phone. However, the curved screen of the 1020 always leaves a small portion on the bottom of the screen uncovered where dust particles accumulate. That area has been badly scratched. But hey, ain't no one blaming the screen guard company or Nokia or Corning, right? It's just the way it is.
The best thing is to forget about it, and use that pretty phone for everything it does offer :)

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
For now that is what I am going to do. And wait for HTC to come out with a WP version of the One. I love the OS, this Nokia is now on my do not buy list. And I was just whining about them, sorry I got a few Nokia fanboys feathers ruffled. I will find a way to remove the scratches then install a screen protector on it. Nokia has offered to look at it, but it isn't worth trouble. I just wanted to know if it is my fault, or could it have been a defect. But since everyone including Nokia thinks it was something I did, then so be it. Warranty now void. 😢

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss