A bridge too far...for now...

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE

I know I must sound like a mental patient, but after spending a couple days with the S4...I had to un-box the Icon and fire it back up. I just like the OS such much, and the screen pops, so I am going to give it a go. In fact, my Olde Lady's 14 days is up tomorrow, and she announced she is keeping hers as well. So, I apologize for the bipolar in-out, but I am just hoping that 8.1 delivers. Don't get me wrong, I still have major disappointment with aspects of the phone (GLACE, DAMMIT), but I guess I'll just knuckle in and hope for the best.

Sorry to bother, and forgive me in advance for all the dumb azz WP questions I am sure I will have...

Lol. All good. I believe everyone here is ok with answering them.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE

I know I must sound like a mental patient, but after spending a couple days with the S4...I had to un-box the Icon and fire it back up. I just like the OS such much, and the screen pops, so I am going to give it a go. In fact, my Olde Lady's 14 days is up tomorrow, and she announced she is keeping hers as well. So, I apologize for the bipolar in-out, but I am just hoping that 8.1 delivers. Don't get me wrong, I still have major disappointment with aspects of the phone (GLACE, DAMMIT), but I guess I'll just knuckle in and hope for the best.

Sorry to bother, and forgive me in advance for all the dumb azz WP questions I am sure I will have...

Glad to read you are back on the team! I feel the same way about this phone. The things that I like I really like and the things that get under my skin all seem like they should have been solved long ago. But two weeks in, the column of likes is growing and the column of annoyances is down to a couple. Give me active notifications and a good system clock and everything else is upside.

Which is really about 8.1. If this is the major, game-changing release that all the hype is pointing to, there ought to be a wonderful upside, filled with cleverly-thought out innovations that Microsoft developed on their own in the two years they've been working on it. If so, your last-second decision to stay on the team will pay off in spades.

Best of luck to you!

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Welcome back. I'm using my note 3 while the ol'lady uses my icon. I really like the larger screen and swipe but I do not like Android nearly as much as Windows Phone.

I'm still torn on what phone I will use for the next year. .. If I could get the screen size, battery life and swipe on a wp device right now I'd be thrilled.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

MazoMark

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It's not you, it's me...seriously, it may well be the way I use the phone. The Icon was my second phone, I have one I have to carry for work, so I didn't keep it clipped to my belt or in my pocket. Last night, after the conversion, I had my S4 on the Qi charger on the counter, and the ease of just walking by and "glancing" (no pun intended) down and being able to tell if I needed to pick it up was a feature I decided was worth switching back. In the car, I have a magnetic mount (awesome, by the way), and when I get in and out I can "glance" at the phone and see if I missed anything. Not unplug it, power it on, check, plug it back in, remount it. Big deal? Naw, I know, but convenience was key. Honestly, if there were no more WP on the horizon for Verizon (nice, eh?), I would have learned to live with it. But since there are, I can wait for one that better suits me. Whomever was responsible for the lack of Glance on this overlooked a small but significant population of users, and that's too bad.

But I'll be back, just in a different WPC forum.

Thanks

Thanks for giving me a good chuckle to start the day! I've been following your "saga" with interest. I'm on Android now, but I am very tempted by Icon. Among the things I know I would miss from Android from a previous experience with WP are Google Now and Active Notifications (I have a Moto X). Until you have these two functions on a phone, you just don't realize how useful they are. I'm hoping the 8.1 update brings similar functionality to WP. If it does - I'll be joining you.

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Nice one man ! I'm a windows phone user too... And I do find somethings with the OS which I felt that Microsoft should have thought of and implemented. But oh well. There is only so much we can say, and so much they can do ! I'm sure that now you have converted to WP, it is only a few weeks more till we see what Microsoft had been working their asses off (hopefully) for us, to make up for what they have not given us ! Until then, enjoy your Lumia Icon then !

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
All,

Well, boxed it up and sent the Icon back today, this particular devices just wasn't for me. Why bother reporting that here? To say thanks to all of you who took the time to help me. What IS going to happen is me getting another WP phone (as soon as one drops for VZW <ahem> ATIV SE). I love the OS, and was learning to live with the app situation, knowing it will improve, someday. You guys got me through the Android withdrawls, and my S4 already doesn't look as snappy and shiny as it used to, so bring on the next iteration.

The phone itself was nice enough, good feel and external design, but the whole lack of LED/notification thing was just a bridge too far. I never could get past having to pick it up just to see if I missed a call. But thanks to the simplicity and design of the OS, I will be back to WP (not to mention all your help).

So know I know WP is right for me, just not this WP.

Thanks all, and be well.

Notification Lights Overrated:
http://m.pocketnow.com/2014/03/20/notification-lights-overrated

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Regarding the notification light I have to agree that it is over rated. I thought I would miss it after having it on various phones for many years. Turns out I'm glad the F'n thing is gone. What an annoyance. YMMV of course. Just never realized it till it wasn't there.

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Um, sorry no. The lack of Glance is a huge pain in the azz, the LED light was the simpler alternative. I get that not everyone minds having to power on to see whats doing, but enough people do that make it an issue (just read through these forums). Miss, Nokia/Verizon/Whomever.

It's like the people who bash the Samsung WP..."no physical camera button?!? No way!!" I don't get that. As a bottom tier OS (market share-wise), we should welcome ANY manufacturer to the WP party, whether we like their stuff or not. The more choices (and LED notifications, and SD cards, and removable batteries) the better for all of us. Honestly, some of the Nokia fanboys remind me of Apple fanboys. And to the casual user, it's not a positive thing.

But that's just one fat guy's opinion. Peace to all...

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Im currently using a Moto X and the voice controls and notifications are really nice however I am going back to Windows with the ICON. I simply missed certain apps and the beautiful aesthetic of the OS. Somehow I always find my way back. With this newest transition I feel compelled to point out a couple of things:

1.) The 'lack of apps' meme IS STILL TOTALLY OVERSTATED. I have PLENTY of apps currently with the Moto X. Its nice. Is it the reason I chose the phone? NO. Being an 'app junkie' means that you simply have more apps that you will rarely if ever actually use! I have all kinds of apps and I only have a literal handful that I use on a regular basis. You know what? I had the same thing on my old Lumia 928. I simply love WP and it continues to improve. Looking forward to 8.1 Blue. The app situation? Overblown and NOT a factor when it comes to choosing a phone that works for me.

2. The lack of Glance. Ummmmmm REALLY? I mean its a nice feature. It really is. It is also a feature that I routinely turned off when I had my Lumia 928. I know that it used very little battery but I just never got in tune with Glance as a means of staying on top of certain notifications so I opted to save a little more juice and turned the feature off. I'm amazed by the sheer number of people who flat out do not want the phone because of that one feature. REALLY?! The Lumia Icon has SO MUCH to offer and yes it should have Glance but it is by no means a deal breaker. The things that some people choose to nitpick over never cease to amaze me. Oh well, to each their own as they say.

Overall really looking forward to getting back to WP. Been away too long and I'm coming home.

WP7_Genius

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Im currently using a Moto X and the voice controls and notifications are really nice however I am going back to Windows with the ICON. I simply missed certain apps and the beautiful aesthetic of the OS. Somehow I always find my way back. With this newest transition I feel compelled to point out a couple of things:

1.) The 'lack of apps' meme IS STILL TOTALLY OVERSTATED. I have PLENTY of apps currently with the Moto X. Its nice. Is it the reason I chose the phone? NO. Being an 'app junkie' means that you simply have more apps that you will rarely if ever actually use! I have all kinds of apps and I only have a literal handful that I use on a regular basis. You know what? I had the same thing on my old Lumia 928. I simply love WP and it continues to improve. Looking forward to 8.1 Blue. The app situation? Overblown and NOT a factor when it comes to choosing a phone that works for me.

2. The lack of Glance. Ummmmmm REALLY? I mean its a nice feature. It really is. It is also a feature that I routinely turned off when I had my Lumia 928. I know that it used very little battery but I just never got in tune with Glance as a means of staying on top of certain notifications so I opted to save a little more juice and turned the feature off. I'm amazed by the sheer number of people who flat out do not want the phone because of that one feature. REALLY?! The Lumia Icon has SO MUCH to offer and yes it should have Glance but it is by no means a deal breaker. The things that some people choose to nitpick over never cease to amaze me. Oh well, to each their own as they say.

Overall really looking forward to getting back to WP. Been away too long and I'm coming home.

Yep just like me I ventured to Android and iOS and I always come back home to WP lol....I like to try new OSes and in the end WP suits me best.

mofoliar

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I enjoy WP few apps not here but I will make it...dont miss notification.used to be addicted but all good now...2 days and loving the icon..

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The thing with Glance for me on my 928 is that it doesn't auto show intelligently like the Moto X, and I have to wave my hand over the sensor more vigorously or hold mu hand over it longer than I'd prefer for it to activate. This make it less convenient and almost takes longer than just turning on the screen.

The Android notification light is nice and I liked it when I used an Android phone. However, I felt I became a slave to it. Constantly checking if it was blinking like a paranoid freak.

Sent from my Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The thing with Glance for me on my 928 is that it doesn't auto show intelligently like the Moto X, and I have to wave my hand over the sensor more vigorously or hold mu hand over it longer than I'd prefer for it to activate. This make it less convenient and almost takes longer than just turning on the screen.

The Android notification light is nice and I liked it when I used an Android phone. However, I felt I became a slave to it. Constantly checking if it was blinking like a paranoid freak.

Sent from my Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

Okay. That sounds unhealthy.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99