Icon & WP 8.1

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Will the Icon get the Windows Phone 8.1 update with all of the features? Do we think Verizon will be equally difficult in rolling out the update as they were in rolling out the phone? And... Do we get "glance?" Anyone have info?

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
The Icon will definitely get the Windows 8.1 update, and we should be able to have all the features.
I think Verizon has been pretty good about updates, so I don't think we will be waiting too long.
I don't think we will be getting "glance", but it would be a nice surprise if we did.

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I doubt VERY seriously if Icon will get Glance. Given that Nokia Tech Support states that the screen on the Icon is "not compatible" with Glance and Nokia is the developer of Glance, seems to stongly suggest that we will NOT be getting it. Unless Nokia develops a "newer version" of Glance specifically for the Icon, don't go looking for it. The Icon will DEFINITELY be getting the WP8.1 update. In fact, I'm already running the WP8.1 Developer Preview. There are a few bugs that need adjusting, but for the most part, I'm rockin it! Verizon is just as anxious to get the final release distributed as we are to get it, but they are waiting for Nokia to release the software to them and then Verizon will need to test it on their network before releasing it to us. I'm guessing sometime in June/July time frame. Nokia hasn't released it to Verizon yet because Nokia and Microsoft are still working out a few bugs and Nokia hasn't completed the firmware upgrade to Cyan yet. Once all this is done, we should be getting a very high quality upgrade. Worth the wait if you don't want to Developer Preview your Icon at this point.

UPDATE: It's now July 29th and Verizon received the update from Microsoft and Nokia on July 15th. That's two weeks of testing so far. It should NOT take more than one more week to test this!

Last edited:

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Will the Icon get the Windows Phone 8.1 update with all of the features?

Yes. Minus Glance.

Do we think Verizon will be equally difficult in rolling out the update as they were in rolling out the phone?

That depends on what you consider "difficult." When I had my Galaxy Nexus, Verizon was the last US carrier to update to Jelly Bean from ICS. But when Nokia released Black last fall, Verizon was fairly quick to send it out. I think Android takes longer because there are so many different versions still out there.

And... Do we get "glance?" Anyone have info?

No. The screen for both the Icon and 930 do not support Glance. Something to do with it missing a certain type of memory chip. No big loss IMO.

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Completely agree. I had Glance on my 928 and although having the ability to see what time it is was nice, having to push a button to see the time isn't a difficult task and probably saves my battery by not having Glance screen lighting up everytime I wave my hand in front of the phone.

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a question. I am getting my icon today and think i will stay on 8.0 until the official release. Should i even bother setting up my home-screen and downloading apps? or does the update not reset everything?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss