Lumia 1020 still worth it?

DepletedQuark

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I recently became a father (yay!) and I feel like I need to upgrade my phone to be able to take better pictures of my son... The 1520 is WAY too big so that's out of the question. That leaves the 1020. But the thing is I keep reading it's a slow phone by today's standards, is it true? Or is the lack of speed exaggerated?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I recently became a father (yay!) and I feel like I need to upgrade my phone to be able to take better pictures of my son... The 1520 is WAY too big so that's out of the question. That leaves the 1020. But the thing is I keep reading it's a slow phone by today's standards, is it true? Or is the lack of speed exaggerated?

there is no lag when you press the shutter , its the saving the picture that takes the time for the following reasons

a) it takes a 34mp image and a 5mp image
b) the 5mp image has oversampling in place which is done after the picture is taken
c) it saves both pictures

now as you can see it is doing a lot of stuff (probably more then above) hence the slow shot to shot time , I repeat there is no lag when you press the shutter , it is just the saving the picture that takes a bit longer then normal as there is more going on then normal with say the iPhone or sgs range of phones and many more pixels and calculations being pushed and calculated behind the scenes ........ you can make the phone just save a 5mp image in the settings and this will make the shot to shot time faster other users say but I am happy using it to capture a 5mp image and either a 38mp image or raw image to go with the 5mp image ;-)

I personally think the shot time thing is exaggerated and the 1020 is perfect for capturing ''keep forever'' photos rather then lower grade camera phones , for me xenon flash is the key , children move and xenon flash freezes time , surely that's a perfect match? the only reason people use burst mode on other phones is because there phone takes blurry pics when the subject moves , so they hold the shutter down and hope that 1 in 50 shots wont be blurred , you don't have to do this on the 1020 , you just switch xenon on to always and shoot , the subject will be frozen in time , no blur , no pixilation , minimum noise and a photo that's worth keeping to look back on in 10 years time ;-)

everyone is different and I can understand why people use burst mode to get a decent shot of moving subjects but with xenon flash you can freeze time and this is why I think the burst mode / shot to shot time thing is exaggerated ;-)

I have been saying the same thing in other forums for a while now (since the 1020 came out) and was glad to see steve from aas say the same thing as me in this article

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/19406_Camera_gimmicks_help-but_for_b.php

scroll down the page and there is a pic of child and he beasically says the same thing as me about xenon flash ;-)

Truman82

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Been wondering how well 1020 will age, as the 2 year support from Ms will be up soon? On Android those updates were a major thing in keeping a device "alive". Wonder how it is on wp?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Been wondering how well 1020 will age, as the 2 year support from Ms will be up soon? On Android those updates were a major thing in keeping a device "alive". Wonder how it is on wp?

it comes with a 2 year warranty, 36 months of update support from Microsoft and is built on same hardware base as 925 , 920 , 820 etc so I am sure the updates will keep running for a while , the phone has only been out since sept so it is only about 6 months old at present mate with another 30 months of update support from Microsoft ;-)

Truman82

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Aye, been wondering should I buy it after the price goes down (at 8.1 devices release I think). Saw a picture comparison here between 1020,925 and iPhone 5s. To my eye the quality wasn't that better on 1020? Ofc they were taken on auto... But should one buy the device if he takes mostly pictures on auto?

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Aye, been wondering should I buy it after the price goes down (at 8.1 devices release I think). Saw a picture comparison here between 1020,925 and iPhone 5s. To my eye the quality wasn't that better on 1020? Ofc they were taken on auto... But should one buy the device if he takes mostly pictures on auto?

I don't know the comparison you was looking at so cant comment on it , however I am sure if you had the files to play about with you would notice a difference , looking at uploaded pics on a laptop/pc screen will never do the photo justice unless you have the original to look at and can zoom in etc , sometimes I stream my photos from my 1020 to my 42" Samsung tv and I am amazed at the quality coming from the 1020

have a look through the photo thread at the top of the page you will see how capable the 1020 is

if you use the camera in auto its still a great camera because it is more versatile then say the galaxy s4 iPhone 5s etc because you have ois , a bigger sensor , oversampling from the 41mp sensor , xenon flash , better mics for recording (rich recording rocks and the quality is amazing) , better camera software to take the picture (nokia done a great job on the camera app) which all equates to better quality in the day time and much better shots at night even if you are using auto mode

I just got back from Thailand I took a g3 micro 4/3rds and my 1020 I used both but the 1020 was so much more handy as it was with me all the time and it took some great photos that even in 10 years time I will look at and think what a lovely picture

in daytime the difference between the 925 , iPhone 5s etc will be smaller as they do produce some nice shots , however the depth of field will be better on the 1020 (bokeh) and the amount of detail captured will be in favour of the 1020 which also gives you the option to zoom later , it can be great to take a picture , then zoom into it later to look at things you never even noticed when you took the original picture , this is where the 41mp camera shines ;-)

both the iPhone 5s and 925 are very nice phones and in the right conditions take great pics , the 1020 takes that even further and produces great pics in all types of conditions because of the hardware it packs ;-)

here are some links

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/124223-nokia-lumia-1020-camera-review

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/ne...-1020-review-one-camera-to-rule-them-all.html

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/nokia_lumia_1020_review/conclusion/

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Noki...show-significant-quality-improvements_id51521

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/07/nokia-1020-review-at-last-a-terrific-camera-in-a-great-phone/

Last edited:

Truman82

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for reply. The comparison I meant was made by wp central. U have good points there which I have to take into consideration.
Have read some "complaints" how the battery lasts "only" a day.. Tho on my 2000mah battery on s2 lasts the same so no problem there. Only thing I have left to do is to go and try out some 5 Inch phone to test is it good size for me, or would the 4.5 inch do it better. (presumably the new lumia devices will have that 5 inch..)
One gripe I had about 1020 was the "slow" shot to shot time of camera. Then finally I realized that I don't really need my camera to be that fast.

Btw what do u think, can we still expect updates specifically to 1020 camera in future?

daniel_sherlock

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Wait for new lumia announcements with win 8.1 coming and the Microsoft merge. But the camera is still dam amazing, isn't that slow! Its taking a 41 and a 5 mp photo come on people

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I think so; so much so that I just ordered a Yellow Lumia 1020 from the Microsoft Store, off contract, on Friday. I've had my accessories already ordered for a while, so now I'm just waiting for the device.

It's such a distinctive device - and given that I tend to place aesthetics high on the list, I will be proud to carry a device with that camera hump :)

Anglerdk

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site

the 1020 is quite big since it is so fat. Slow is a relatively term, but sometimes I have to wait a few seconds before I eg can use the camera. So if you want wp8 I would go for a quad core model, and my guess you will not miss the extra camera wise on the 1020 (I wait approximately 5 seconds after a camera shoot to the next, since the phone cannot handle the large data size..)

I would perhaps look at Sony Z1 compact if you want a smaller phone

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_267 using Tapatalk

neonspark

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm convinced MSFT has lost all direction in the hardware space so I suspect the 1020 will remain a collector's item. Kind of like the prior pure view with Symbian. Will MS ever release a similar phone? the company that brought us the Kin, the Zune, and the xbox 1 probably would like to but yeah right!

I'll keep my 1020 for as long as possible. yes it is DOG SLOW but quality wise, nothing really touches it. It's just like a polaroid camera where once you take the image...you watch it come up after a few seconds :)

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Figured I would throw my 10 pence in here.

Is it worth it - absolutely if you want the best camera available that will fit in your pocket and will most likely be in your pocket day to day.

This does however come with a caveat. If you intend to just shoot on AUTO and never get deep and dirty with the manual controls, I would seriously think about it and if necessary just go for a 925 - still takes great pictures but why waste your money on a 1020 if you aren't going to use the camera properly? It's like buying a full frame DSLR and leaving the camera to do all the work!

The camera start up time and the time between shots does take some time to get used to if you are used to the rapid fire sludge that you get from an iPhone for example, however if you are willing to LEARN how to use the camera you will not be disappointed. I'm getting better photos with a god damn phone than any of my friends can with their DSLRs, and they are pretty good at what they do!

astroXP

Jul 1, 2011
twitter.com
Until some rumor for the Lumia 1040 (yeah, I just made that up but you got the point) starts floating around the internetz, I would say the 1020 is still pretty worth it.

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
My 1020 is now barely a week old and I've used it quite a bit. While I really do understand and share the concerns regarding the rather slow shot-to-shot times, I think it is an issue you learn to deal with. Especially since it's a problem which is more or less known, you know about it before you get it. Personally I don't mind the waiting times at all.

Wgere I can't complain at all btw is the daily operation speed of the device. The OS runs smooth, I have yet to experience any lag at all. However I have to admit I don't have too many live tiles or apps installed. Some actions require a second, mostly covered by some kind of animation, but I can't complain at all.

The only drawback IMO is the battery performance. Coming from a BlackBerry Q10 it takes some time getting used to keep an eye on the battery meter. My 1020 has problems making it through a typical day.

I got the phone for a really good price btw from updating my contract. I don't care about the threat of a new camera flagship phone this year. The 1020 is fast enough for my tastes, so I don't see any need for myself to get the successor. Only reasons which would tempt me over would be 1080p screen to get more space on the home screen and maybe a larger battery. Other than that, for my usages, the device is fine the way it is.

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Only reasons which would tempt me over would be 1080p screen to get more space on the home screen and maybe a larger battery. Other than that, for my usages, the device is fine the way it is.

There are rumours of WP8.1/GDR3 including the extra row of live tiles for devices with a 1280 x 768 screen as well as 1080p.

sukku

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
:grincry:I am wondering the same. I have Lumia 920, thinking to upgrade to 1020. Its listed around 430$ on amazon. Is it worth an upgrade ? For its 2GB RAM,Camera & AMOLED :) ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett