iOS to Windows Phone app equivalents?

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
So here's the thing - I'm coming back to MS as my phone OS having jumped ship at around Windows Mobile 6.5. Since then I've been on Android and more recently iOS.
I've ordered a 1020 which should arrive in a couple of days. I've had a good read around here and think I know what I'm letting myself in for. But one thing I thought I would do is check out the Windows Phone Store and see if the apps I've got on my iPhone are published there too. And if not, ask you guys for suggestions of alternatives (preferably ones that also have Surface equivalents).
Maybe this list would help others, so feel free to add your own I guess. Are there any other "must-haves"? I've not included any news/sports/tech sites as I tend to just have them as browser favourites. I tend to steer clear of "unofficial" apps as a rule.
I'm sure some of the list below won't have equivalents as they're too customer/location specific, but help a man out/correct me if you can!

iOSWindows PhoneNotes
iMessagen/aRemember to deactivate
AmazonAmazonOK.
BejewelledBejewelledAddicted, oh yes.
ColesAussie supermarket. Assume no WP app.
DomainDomainOK. Aussie real estate.
eBayeBayFor cheap Chinese tat.
FacebookIs there an official one? Or OS integration a la iOS?
FetchTVAussie TVoIP. Assume no WP app.
FlickrFlickrOK.
GPS Track?For recording off-road excursions
Instagram?Is there an official one?
KindleKindleOK.
Last.FM/CloudScrob.?A way of scrobbling tracks to last.fm?
LastPassLastPassDreadful password manager. That work uses.
LinkedInLinkedInFaceBook for grown-ups.
MyDLinkMyDLinkFor viewing home-based webcam.
MyMacca's?Order Big Macs before heading to McDonald's.
NABNABAussie bank.
Nando's?Hot chook shop.
Nat GeoNat GeoOK.
NovaMind?Mindmap diagrams.
OneNoteOneNoteI'm hoping it's built-in - I practically live in OneNote.
PandoraPandoraOK.
PayPalPayPalOK.
PerthRiderPerthRiderPerth public transport stuff.
PinterestPinterestOK.
RDP?MS RDP app? Have used 2X in the past.
RoboFormRoboFormLess sucky password manager.
Runkeeper?Run/bike GPS logger.
Skype?Assuming built-in to WP?
Pink Fong Songs and Stories?For the snotgobbler.
Speedtest.netSpeedtest.netFor measuring 4G loveliness.
SpotifySpotifyOK.
StumbleUpon?Browse things I might like.
Swan Taxis?Local taxi firm.
TeamViewerTeamViewerMore computer remote control options.
Telstra 24x7Telstra 24x7Mobile network operator.
Nice Daddy - Touch! Farm and Touch! Safari?More for the nipper.
TuneIn RadioTuneIn RadioOK.
TwitterTwitterOK.
VMUGVMUGVMware User Group.
WhatsAppWhatsAppOK.
WoolworthsWoolworthsAussie supermarket.
Words with FriendsWords with FriendsOK.
Xbox SmartGlassXbox SmartGlassOK.
YouTube?Is there an official one?

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Skype and Instagram have official clients for WP. The closest thing to an official Facebook app is the one developed by Microsoft. Facebook recently published their standalone Messenger app though. No official YouTube app, courtesy of Google.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Your "stay away from unofficial apps" rule does not transfer to WP very well. WP, unlike other markets, have extremely talented third-party developers! Rudy Huyn for instance, I would rather have one of his apps than an official. His apps tend to run smoother, give more features, and look much nicer. Not to mention the support he gives to these apps is unparalleled.

GPendolino

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Oooooooo, one thing I gotta tell you, WWF doesn't actually work (for me anyways).

The reviews for it seem to indicate that others are having the same problem. Even as of today's date (3/5/14) the most recent reviews on it indicate that people cannot load this app on their phone.

I cannot actually blame Nokia or MS for this. The makers of WWF should jump in here and save the day. However, after dealing with them when I used to play Hanging With Friends on the iPhone, and NEVER getting any response, I'm not surprised.

I will miss WWF :(

Anglerdk

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Rdp, connectme have some interesting features. Mocha rd is good and Remote Desktop from topperware too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Even as of today's date (3/5/14) the most recent reviews on it indicate that people cannot load this app on their phone.
I thought you were talking about some wrestling thing for a mo.
For Words with Friends, I thought the same. Then I went into the Games app, and there he is, large as life. An odd kind of integration, doesn't show up in search and gets hidden away "within" another app.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
That's a good point.
I think I'm just wary of any Android-style "apps" which are nothing more than a shortcut to someone else's website yet require permission to access Contacts etc. Scams basically.
I'll take a look at ModernCalc though :D

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Instagram has an official app. Also, 6tag is a 3rd-party app that was created in conjunction with Instagram and with their approval (and help).

ScrobbleMe isn't official, but it submits played songs to your profile the same way Audioscrobbler or Universal Scrobbler or Vinyl Scrobbler would.

But believe me. On WP8, if you stick with only official apps, you're going to have a very lousy experience overall. The dedicated devs for WP do beautiful work. For example, compare the Flickr app with the 3rd party options. Then look at the WP7 app for Soundcloud and then compare it to Audiocloud or Soundrivin'.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to leave my input and go along with the group consensus that third-party apps are part of what makes Windows Phone great. "Official" apps typically suck, because the developers simply don't care about Windows Phone, and are merely publishing a cheap excuse for an app just so they can say they offer one.

Meanwhile, he third party developers are truly dedicated, and offer unrivaled support. MetroTube and myTube both kick any official YouTube app's ***. And Rudy Huyn? He's a Windows Phone god: you've never seen a well designed app until you've use one of his.

So explore, venture into the unknown. Instead of staying huddled under the dry, boring "official" umbrella: venture out to the unofficial apps, some suck, but many are incredible.

GPendolino

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I thought you were talking about some wrestling thing for a mo.
For Words with Friends, I thought the same. Then I went into the Games app, and there he is, large as life. An odd kind of integration, doesn't show up in search and gets hidden away "within" another app.

Yeah, it's in the games collection.

What I was referring to (and I think this is what all of the other people that rate the app with 1 star are referring to as well) is that after we launch it (so by this time we found it in the games section) it crashes.
So far it's carrying 2 out of 5 stars.
Most recent review yesterday 3/7/14:
"Crashes everytime I open the app. Obviously Zynga has no respect for the Windows platform as they haven't addressed the hundreds of crash complaints. POS."

Words With Friends | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I prefer Microsoft's Network Speed Test to Speedtest.net it just looks nicer < shallow> and I use Endomondo for tracking runs (or walks in my case).
I haven't found a Pinterest app that I'm totally happy with, i use Pinterest Lite which is reliable or Pin.it which has more features, but is less reliable.
I don't use apps for stuff like Ebay/ Amazon, I just pin the url to the start screen.
If you want to customise your start screen then the Skinery Themes app is good.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett