Alternative sat nav for UK

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I've finally had it with Here. It's incapable of plotting a decent route. Whatever settings I choose, it goes out of it's way to avoid motorways and picks a dreadful route of narrow twisting country roads.
Todays route added 40mins to what should have been a 2hr 20min journey. I'm really peed off, used Drive for a long time and don't remember having any issues.

I'm looking for recommendations for reliable alternatives

I've had a go with Waze and the routes seems a lot more realistic, but I don't really want to rely on a phone signal.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I've thankfully not had that experience ( lots of twisty back roads between Eastbourne and London!!!) but there is navigon or gps voice navigator navigator.

I've got navigon for Europe and its as accurate as my tomtom stand alone, and the gps built into my car.

Its expensive but i am sure there are other options... Hope that helps 😊

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
No, I've definitely not got it set to avoid motorways. For example the Here Carnforth to Worksop route drags you all the way through the middle of the Peak district, an awful journey. But the best route ( using AA or Waze) takes the M62 / A1 and shaves 40 min off the Here route. Also have issues where Here says turn left (or right), but then when I've turned it recalculates and adds mileage, as if I've taken the wrong turn, but there was no other turn.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I've used ALK's CoPilot on varying devices for years. I'm not in the UK anymore, but when I was it seemed to do a pretty decent job. It has its quirks, but broadly does what it says it will do.
I haven't tried the Windows Phone 8 version yet.

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Navigon and CoPilot are the 2 I would recommend in place of HERE Drive.

FWIW I use Here Drive + and have no issues whatsoever.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Just thought I'd check Copilot against Here for the next journey I have to do. carnforth to Holywell. Here is 2.19 and 115 miles, compared to Copilot which is 1.48 and 100 miles.
The Here route even looks stupid on the screen, detouring south, then back north again.
Just realised CoPilot is ?25, which I don't have this month. Really annoyed as one of the reasons I bought this phone was because Here mapping was included.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I have seen this problem. One thing that can help is to set the option to choose Fastest Route but it always defaults back to Balanced Route for next time. Never had this issue on my old Symbian phone.

daniel_sherlock

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes had this last week, took me down some very interesting routes. Rather than one motorway about 6 country lanes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs