Lumia Icon on Straight Talk?

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that's a rather new development. Straight Talk just recently started adding Verizon SIMs to their BYOP kits. They say that pretty much any Verizon LTE phone is compatible. They have always been compatible with Straight Talk's AT&T and T-Mobile services, since Verizon LTE phones are SIM unlocked.

One question: do the BYOP starter kits come with Sprint SIM cards?

No, they don't include Sprint SIMs, although they do list Sprint as a company on their website. I should have been more specific and said they include all GSM SIMs and Verizon Micro/Nano SIMs. I really can't believe they finally allowed Verizon SIMs. I was originally going to use this Icon on Straight Talk AT&T but Im so happy I don't have to go through hoops to use my Icon to its full potential. Plus, I got my Icon for $80 from a guy on Craigslist in near perfect shape.

anon(5408816)

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
This whole thing seems crazy to me. Assume that by being on ST for Verizon that firmware and platform updates will come straight from Microsoft with no man in the middle nonsense? Also assume that I can keep my number and that it still includes voicemail?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
This whole thing seems crazy to me. Assume that by being on ST for Verizon that firmware and platform updates will come straight from Microsoft with no man in the middle nonsense? Also assume that I can keep my number and that it still includes voicemail?

I don't quite understand what you said here. But to clarify at least one thing, the carrier or phone service you're using makes absolutely no difference as far as updates. If you have a Verizon Icon, you will get updates whenever Verizon pushes updates to the Icon. It doesn't matter if it has a Verizon SIM, ST Verizon, ST AT&T, ST T-Mobile, AT&T, Vodafone, Y!Mobile, or any other carrier. It doesn't even have to have a SIM card; it can be inactive and on WiFi only. Location doesn't matter. As long as it's powered on and online somehow, it'll get the updates based on the OS version installed.

As far as your question about phone number and VM, Straight Talk is an MVNO that uses Verizon service, among others. But you do have a different carrier. You would need to port your number from Verizon to Straight Talk. I'm not sure about voicemail, as I've never used ST's. But I'd assume it's quite normal.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Not true that AT&T limits their LTE to their branded phones.
The Icon won't get LTE on AT&T because it doesn't support the LTE bands that AT&T uses.
Icon supports LTE bands 4,13 (700, 1700/2100), AT&T uses, mostly, LTE bands 5, 17 and rarely maybe, in some areas, band 4.
Icon will work on any GSM network that has the bands that matches it's bands.
All of the Verizon branded phones are GSM unlocked already, there is nothing to unlock. Simply pop a compatible GSM SIM card in and you're good to go.

Fred

I am using icon on straight talk using tmobile sim. It gets LTE service. I have tried using at&t sim too, but unfortunately at&t limit their LTE to at&t branded phones only hence only 3g for icon.
Only little problem on tmobile is that the signal meter will show no service when the phone is on LTE. Everything works fine though for data and calls and mms.

vepac

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
So if the vzw LTE phones come gsm unlocked out of the box, does that mean I can move it to Cricket Wireless if I wanted? Having no 4G isn't a problem for me since I am mostly on WIFI and when I browse the web on my phone on the go, 3G speeds will be fine.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

Yea, you will get updates just like normal from Verizon. I ported my number from AT&T (was using a 920) over to my Icon on Verizon. It is literally however things would be if you were in a contract with Verizon, only you get a little more data (3GB LTE) and pay way less. Just think of it as being on Verizon for (over) half the price. You lose customer support and hardware replacement insurance and everything. You also do not have Visual Voicemail, but I'll happily lose that for LTE Verizon service at $45 a month to use the Icon at it's full potential, instead of having to work with it to be able to use it on GSM networks. You just pop in the nano LTE SIM, get things configured with Straight Talk customer service, and you're good to go...

The kits are available at WalMart and they include every single SIM for all carriers (except Sprint), activation card, network access card, etc

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
So if the vzw LTE phones come gsm unlocked out of the box, does that mean I can move it to Cricket Wireless if I wanted? Having no 4G isn't a problem for me since I am mostly on WIFI and when I browse the web on my phone on the go, 3G speeds will be fine.

Yes you can, however, with the Icon you will lose MMS. Some have claimed to get it to work but I've never tried it...

shann123

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes you can, however, with the Icon you will lose MMS. Some have claimed to get it to work but I've never tried it...

While I can't vouch for Cricket directly, I have tried it on Straight Talk with an ATT SIM and MMS worked no problem, you just have to set the APN settings properly using the access point app.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
While I can't vouch for Cricket directly, I have tried it on Straight Talk with an ATT SIM and MMS worked no problem, you just have to set the APN settings properly using the access point app.

With an Icon? I have the latest Developer Preview and I don't have the option to set MMS, only APN...

shann123

May 21, 2014
Visit site
With an Icon? I have the latest Developer Preview and I don't have the option to set MMS, only APN...

Yeah, on the Icon. You have to download the Access Point app directly but you can't get to it through a store search, Here's the link. Under settings you'll get "Access Point" at the bottom of your settings list and that will have MMS and Internet. I created a new APN and activated it. Then I went into Cellular and SIM and selected the new APN there too. I can't help you with the APN setting for Cricket, I haven't ever used them. One note is that when I went to Page Plus (Verizon MVNO) after Straight Talk I had to manually set the Verizon APN.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, on the Icon. You have to download the Access Point app directly but you can't get to it through a store search, Here's the link. Under settings you'll get "Access Point" at the bottom of your settings list and that will have MMS and Internet. I created a new APN and activated it. Then I went into Cellular and SIM and selected the new APN there too. I can't help you with the APN setting for Cricket, I haven't ever used them. One note is that when I went to Page Plus (Verizon MVNO) after Straight Talk I had to manually set the Verizon APN.

Thanks for that tip, I'll keep that in mind in case I every want to go back to AT&T Straight Talk....

Padr1n0

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't quite understand what you said here. But to clarify at least one thing, the carrier or phone service you're using makes absolutely no difference as far as updates. If you have a Verizon Icon, you will get updates whenever Verizon pushes updates to the Icon. It doesn't matter if it has a Verizon SIM, ST Verizon, ST AT&T, ST T-Mobile, AT&T, Vodafone, Y!Mobile, or any other carrier. It doesn't even have to have a SIM card; it can be inactive and on WiFi only. Location doesn't matter. As long as it's powered on and online somehow, it'll get the updates based on the OS version installed.

As far as your question about phone number and VM, Straight Talk is an MVNO that uses Verizon service, among others. But you do have a different carrier. You would need to port your number from Verizon to Straight Talk. I'm not sure about voicemail, as I've never used ST's. But I'd assume it's quite normal.

This is not true. Verizon is very notorious for not letting you upgrade without their SIM in their device. I have had a few galaxies that wouldnt update even on wifi without a Verizon Sim. Even my Icon gives me problems when updating Dev Preview builds.

Padr1n0

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm using my Icon on Verizon Straight Talk with full LTE and everything. The activation kits now come with CDMA LTE Nano SIM cards for every carrier.

How is the service so far? Have you tried installing the Dev Preview? I have finally gotten tired of using my Icon on Tmobile. Im going to pick up a ST sim today.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
How is the service so far? Have you tried installing the Dev Preview? I have finally gotten tired of using my Icon on Tmobile. Im going to pick up a ST sim today.

Yup, works just fine. The only problem I have run into is problem from still being on Black (since we don't even have Cyan yet). Full LTE, MMS just fine, no need to put in APN settings on nothing.

PhreePhlyer

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I assume you now have Denim. How is straight talk working out? I can't imagine any issues, but you never know with updates. Also, I assume that the SoftCard service doesn't work through Straight Talk, does it?

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I assume you now have Denim. How is straight talk working out? I can't imagine any issues, but you never know with updates. Also, I assume that the SoftCard service doesn't work through Straight Talk, does it?

Nope, Straight Talk doesn't work (never has on Straight Talk because they don't carry the secure SIM), but everything else works fine after the Denim update.

PhreePhlyer

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Great to hear about the update going well. Sucks about SoftCard, but I figured it would be because of the unsecured SIM. Was hoping VZW had provided secure SIM to ST.

Looked at the prices and I will save a load of cash going that route. My contract is up in May, so I might check this out.

RobsmyClone

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
I just went to Walmart and bought a BYOP activation kit. It took 2 minutes to setup, just don't use the MEID, use IMEI number and you are good to go. now I just need to figure out how to update my Lumia Icon on Straight talk.

js14873

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I activated mine today and all is working now. A couple hiccups:

1. The website to check my phone's compatibility gave me an error that the transaction didn't process, so I had to call them with my IMEI to confirm.
2. During the activation process, I got another error at the final submit point where you both activate your phone and create your account in the same page. Somehow it created my account but did not activate, so I had to try to activate again and log in to my account instead of creating a new one.
3. After activation, I had no LTE. I used ST's support chat and I don't know what they did, but they told me to restart my phone and after that I had LTE. I had restarted about 4 times before then so it had to be something they did on their end.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo