Nokia 928 and T-mobile

ewgoforth

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I've switched from a Verizon 928 to a T-mobile 521. I liked the 928 a lot better and was wondering if I could get another one to use on T-mobile. I've read mixed things about getting mms/sms to work on T-mobile. Has anyone here tried?

Eric

Vmartinez39

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I use my 928 on Tmobile prepaid. Everything works. Everything works, SMS, MMS, Data

The only problem is if you send SMS, you can only send it on E(Edge). If your signal is 3G or higher you'll get an error and has nothing to do with APN or any of that crap.

Download the ACCESS POINT and you won't have to set anything.

I think Tether will work as long as you Download ACCESS POINT and NETWORK+

SMS will be an issue and only issue. If you keep it on EDGE everything will work. MMS will be sluggish on Edge.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I use my 928 on Tmobile prepaid. Everything works. Everything works, SMS, MMS, Data

The only problem is if you send SMS, you can only send it on E(Edge). If your signal is 3G or higher you'll get an error and has nothing to do with APN or any of that crap.

Download the ACCESS POINT and you won't have to set anything.

I think Tether will work as long as you Download ACCESS POINT and NETWORK+

SMS will be an issue and only issue. If you keep it on EDGE everything will work. MMS will be sluggish on Edge.

Agreed 100%, the same issue is on 822, which I reported in the 822 Forums. Thanks for posting this here.

Vmartinez39

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Update with T-Mobile

I was looking into Foreign SIM hack to tether: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/251258-5.htm

The OP was Boss to figure this out. I tested it on T-Mobile and it unlocked Internet sharing as long as you have a foreign SIM to swap with. I use an AT&T MVNO and there are extra steps to unlock Internet sharing with those carriers, but didn't fully test it. Others confirm it does work.

As for me Internet sharing works too. Granted don't have a data plan but still was able to tether. If only they can fix that SMS working on Edge only this phone is fully supported for T-Mobile.

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been using a 928 for t-mobile as well. Everything worked fine as long as it was on 2g. Now sms messages won't even work on 2g. Frustrated with all of this. Will have to look to get a new phone. T-Mobile only has 925, but it's only 16gb. Looks like i'll be forced to switch to android.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I've been using a 928 for t-mobile as well. Everything worked fine as long as it was on 2g. Now sms messages won't even work on 2g. Frustrated with all of this. Will have to look to get a new phone. T-Mobile only has 925, but it's only 16gb. Looks like i'll be forced to switch to android.

Get an unlocked pentaband Rogers Lumia 920, it will get LTE on T-Mobile.

ewgoforth

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded network+ and access point and was able to get mms working after I added an mms apn. The mms apn I added was basically the same as the default settings, except that I changed the APN to epc.tmobile.com. I can send mms, but not sms. I can receive both mms and sms.

I can get on the internet, etc. I don't ever see the LTE connection show up. I see 3G, H, and H+. Any idea what H and H+ stand for?

-Eric

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded network+ and access point and was able to get mms working after I added an mms apn. The mms apn I added was basically the same as the default settings, except that I changed the APN to epc.tmobile.com. I can send mms, but not sms. I can receive both mms and sms.

I can get on the internet, etc. I don't ever see the LTE connection show up. I see 3G, H, and H+. Any idea what H and H+ stand for?

-Eric

H and H+ are HSPA and HSPA+. T Mobile HSPA+ will get you up to 40Mbps which is pretty good download speed.

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
MMS works.. everything works except SMS.. why doesn't SMS wok? I've added the APN settings even though access point does it already.. blah!

ewgoforth

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
According to https://t-mobile.jive-mobile.com/#jive-document?content=/api/core/v2/documents/4219

6.Use the device common procedures to check that the Short Message Service Center (SMSC) number is programmed correctly as +12063130004. If you reprogram the SMSC number, send a text message to your mobile number again to see if the issue is resolved.

However I can't find any way to change this. From some other research I've done, it appears the smsc number is set somehow in the sim card,

-Eric

ewgoforth

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
MMS works. SMS works when on Edge. Same as what others have reported. I found the SMSC settings. Go into the messaging app, then go to settings but the right value is in there.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site

This is what I had to do unfortunately. I hated android at first but I have now grown much more fond of it now they my LG G2 is upgraded to 4.4.2 KitKat. Much smoother and I don't have to worry about missing apps. I still miss my camera on my 920 and I like windows phone interface so much more.

The 925 has little memory and not a good option. I hope T-Mobile releases a Icon variant on T-Mobile.

Sent from LG G2 on T-Mobile. come on T-Mobile get a flagship Windows Phone!!!!!

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Ive been using this phone with Tmo since it came out. i had everything working perfect including SMS (mms works also). But recently i cannot (always) send SMS when i have LTE as highest connection. It works for 1st 2-3 messages then I have to shift to 2G, otherwise I get Error:1.
SMS -works
MMS-works
Tethering -works*
LTE -never had it

*I fixed tethering few days ago, after hard reset, using the same guide someone provided here (for 920). Don't know if its related or not, but after that I'm having problem with whatsapp notifications 9/10 times I don't get notified

ewgoforth

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
It seems like part of the problem with the 928 on t-mobile is that it comes with proprietary versions of network+ and access point. Perhaps the version of the messaging app is also proprietary? Does anyone have a link to the messaging app on the Windows Phone Store? I can't find access point or network+ by searching either, but was able to download them using links others provided.

Vmartinez39

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Access Point
Network+

You have to google search them to get them to install on AppStore. Its inconvenient because doing an AppStore search you can't find them.

I wish the 928 really support T-Mobile, but has to be set on 2G for everything to work, specifically SMS. Worst part is MMS on 2G can be unreliable. Sending MMS is unreliable. Receiving is just a crap shoot depending on 2G signal. Takes few tries to download MMS.

swtjen81

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
THIS WORKED FOR JME JUST NOW!!!

Access Point fast.t-mobile.com did not work for me! USE THIS!!epc.t-mobile.com.

I didn't have to put in the IP type.

://apn.gishan.net/settings/738_12_t-mobile_apn_settings_for_nokia_lumia_928.php#alt-conf

IT WORKED!!!! it all depends on how your reception/service is wherever you are located when you
change these settings.

make sure you put in everything correctly!!!

GOOD LUCK!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb