Would this be a good Lumia to get for a first time WP user?

Kevin OQuinn

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I've always been interested in trying out a Windows Phone for my personal device, but never wanted to be "stuck" with it. I already know that the cameras are really good, so that's not an issue. I guess I'm really afraid of buyer's remorse, and knowing myself I would fail to go back to the store within the return period to get something else if I were to not like the device.

Then someone told me that the Lumia 925 from T-Mo was going to be on sale on neweggflash for $250 off contract. There's about 18 hours left on the sale.

My question is, will this give me a "proper" WP experience? Does it have the latest software from Nokia, like the 1020 and 1520 do? Will I get to experience all the newest camera software features, and have access to every app there is? Does it have support for T-Mo LTE?

I've done a little research, but it's difficult to find current information on the phone, and all the reviews are from when it launched.

Thanks in advance.

gollyath

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
It's a solid phone, but depending on your needs, you may feel limited by the 16 gb of storage. Im sure that it can be updated to gdr3, both Nokia and Microsoft are great about updates.
Nokia loves to send out all of its camera (and other) apps to be available to all nokia phones, so no worries there.

Not sure about T-mo LTE, but if it is, my gut tells me that newegg would have it on their site (ideally).
Best of luck.

Kevin OQuinn

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
It's a solid phone, but depending on your needs, you may feel limited by the 16 gb of storage. Im sure that it can be updated to gdr3, both Nokia and Microsoft are great about updates.
Nokia loves to send out all of its camera (and other) apps to be available to all nokia phones, so no worries there.

Not sure about T-mo LTE, but if it is, my gut tells me that newegg would have it on their site (ideally).
Best of luck.

Aside from being able to take great pictures no matter what, this would let me know if I could get whatever the next flagship is as my main line device. With BUILD being next month I'm sure new devices will follow relatively shortly thereafter. I was never willing to drop $500 on a device, but $250 is far more palatable. The storage is less of an issue I think, because I can upload my pictures to the cloud.

Thanks for the feedback.

BritDad

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I have an 820 with 8gb storage plus SD card; most space is taken up by apps not photos, so cloud storage isn't such a help I think. I would pick a phone with large internal storage, or SD card support since wp8.1 will allow apps to be saved to SD card. Hope this helps you choose.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
You will absolutely get a great WP8 experience with the Lumia 925. The only issue might be the storage since it's only got 16GB if you need music on your phone or want a lot of games that take up a lot of space. The design is gorgeous and the build quality is very impressive. It's very lightweight but has a premium feel at the same time.

The 920 unlocked is another excellent choice. You can find them for $230 on eBay. I came from a 920 and actually miss a lot of things about it (I still have it as a backup) such as the more curved back, 32GB of storage, speaker at the bottom as opposed to the back like the 925, etc.

Either phone will give you an awesome experience on the platform, though.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I've had the 925 for just a little bit north of 3 weeks now to replace my unbootable 8X. So far it's been quite a solid device, I love the way the blacks look on the device which greatly masks the fact that it's 15:9 aspect ratio. The sound quality I'm still getting used to, it's definitely not as loud or as bassy as my 8X but I've found some levels on the equalizer that are similar. The device is a little slippery in the hands so it requires a tight grip otherwise you'll drop it. I love the fact that I can use the device with gloves on. It does support T-mobile LTE including the future 700mhz band which would be much needed as I'm having difficulty maintaining a reliable LTE signal in my residence sometimes I even drop to edge which rarely happens on my 8X. I probably have a faulty device but I'll just upgrade in a few months to something else since I now have jump on my plan. Other than that I've been enjoying the 925 and all the unique Nokia apps that were preinstalled.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it. Though it turns out that my finances are not where I thought they were so I can't take advantage of the deal. In case anyone else wants to, though, here's the link:

Nokia Lumia 925 T-Mobile 4G LTE No Contract Smart Phone – NeweggFlash.com
It's possible that the 925 will be even cheaper once the new devices announced at Build are released.

Another option is to check the Marketplace forum. You might even find someone selling a 925 at a good price.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
It's possible that the 925 will be even cheaper once the new devices announced at Build are released.

Another option is to check the Marketplace forum. You might even find someone selling a 925 at a good price.

Forgot about the marketplace! Kevin could also find another WP there too!

DeNachtwacht

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
The reason for the current price drops is not very difficult to explain: during BUILD a lot of new phones will be released so after april/may 2014 the Lumia 925 prices will drop even more. So in your (financial) case, I'd just wait that 2 months if you don't need the phone right now. You have a chance you'll get the phone even cheaper than $250, and get the extra bonus of a preinstalled Windows Phone 8.1.

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
You can try a Lumia 520 for < $60 or a 521 for < $80. At worst, you'll lose $80 but you can always use this as a standalone GPS, media player, or mini-tablet. I'm not sure of Amazon's return policy, but you'll have either 14 or 30 days to try out the phone. The downside of these phones is the lack of LTE, subpar camera and lack of front facing camera if you're into selfies or video calling. Otherwise, the feedback is that one can get a good idea of the fluidity of the OS. I'm using my 520 as a media device, but when I was using it as a phone, the calls were clear and 4G data (or more correctly 3.5G) on AT&T was fast enough for me.

intrinity1

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
My first jump was a 521 because I needed a phone for work. Less than a month later of using it, here I am using my 925 in addition to my 521 as a work phone. I was so impressed with the usability of WP and how great it ran on the budget 521 I decided to get the 925 as my daily driver. Take the leap! You will not be disappointed.

Dave Bhullar

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I've always been interested in trying out a Windows Phone for my personal device, but never wanted to be "stuck" with it. I already know that the cameras are really good, so that's not an issue. I guess I'm really afraid of buyer's remorse, and knowing myself I would fail to go back to the store within the return period to get something else if I were to not like the device.

Then someone told me that the Lumia 925 from T-Mo was going to be on sale on neweggflash for $250 off contract. There's about 18 hours left on the sale.

My question is, will this give me a "proper" WP experience? Does it have the latest software from Nokia, like the 1020 and 1520 do? Will I get to experience all the newest camera software features, and have access to every app there is? Does it have support for T-Mo LTE?

I've done a little research, but it's difficult to find current information on the phone, and all the reviews are from when it launched.

Thanks in advance.
I own a 925. In terms of exclusive Nokia apps, yes it has all the latest stuff like the 1020 and 1520. The only thing I don't like about this phone is its 16gb memory which can nearly fill up in a couple of months. Right now I have about 1.5gb of free space but I could easily fill that up if I wanted to. You really need to manage the space properly. It doesn't make the phone unusable as I've been using mine for more than 6 months now, but it can be a problem. If you compare this to the 1020, aside from the camera and some technical differences that you won't really notice, its this limited space that might make you regret later so you wanna make sure you're gonna be good with 16gb. Other than that its a great phone, I think its the lightest Lumia ever made, I really like the design, its a Lumia but its a little bit different.