ICON running on At&t....

Andygoes

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, my Icon arrived yesterday and I popped in a T-Mobile SIM. Everything is working fine, but I'm limited to EDGE/2G. Group MMS works, picture MMS works. The phone is pretty freaking awesome, but yea, going with a 1020 with full capability is a good idea for now, it seems!

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
FWIW, my Icon arrived yesterday and I popped in a T-Mobile SIM. Everything is working fine, but I'm limited to EDGE/2G. Group MMS works, picture MMS works. The phone is pretty freaking awesome, but yea, going with a 1020 with full capability is a good idea for now, it seems!
Thank you for sharing this. EDGE is not good enough... The problem with 1020 on the other hand is that it needs to be unlocked, and trying to unlock AT&T phone... I read the international version of Icon (Lumia 930) will be announced on April 19.

juststart

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
What is the general consensus of the icon running on att? Was wanting to try and get an aio sim put in. I have an icon but no vzw service currently.

Andygoes

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Update! LTE apparently works fine on T-Mobile in my area in southern Michigan! I just changed my max connection to LTE for my commute this morning and, though it shows I have no connection, emails were coming in. So, I fired up the Hardware Tests app and it said I was connected to T-Mobile's LTE. Then I did a speed test in Network Speed Test and got about 26Mbps down, but still no connection on data indicator. Called my wife to test voice and indicator changed to H+ on the call, but has gone back to no signal as I type this.

Moral of the story: don't trust the data indicator, at least not while on a different network!

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
sorry i haven't logged in here for a while and it never seems to tell me when i've been quoted...

not that it matters probably, but yea i did mean from craigslist off contract (used/new 3rd party) vs on contract at the store.

Blackout3890

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I just got an Icon today and my AT&T SIM worked fine once I had them update my plan with the IMEI number. The internet, texts and calls work but no MMS and I can't figure how to update it with 8.1. I feel like I'm just over looking where to do the MMS APN settings.

jiovine

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I just got an Icon today and my AT&T SIM worked fine once I had them update my plan with the IMEI number. The internet, texts and calls work but no MMS and I can't figure how to update it with 8.1. I feel like I'm just over looking where to do the MMS APN settings.

So do you get LTE? Curious as I have an Icon and thinking of taking it to straight talk AT&T

Blackout3890

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
So, do I have to edit and add BOTH internet and MMS APNs? The internet and data works fine, just an issue with the MMS. I'm assuming it is LTE. I have it selected to connect to LTE and it is quite fast. It displays "H" or "H+" where LTE would normally be.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So, do I have to edit and add BOTH internet and MMS APNs? The internet and data works fine, just an issue with the MMS. I'm assuming it is LTE. I have it selected to connect to LTE and it is quite fast. It displays "H" or "H+" where LTE would normally be.
Install Access point. Then you can go to Settings > Access Point and update data / MMS settings in it and can check if that works.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I have it selected to connect to LTE and it is quite fast. It displays "H" or "H+" where LTE would normally be.
"H" is HSPA (possibly just HSDPA); "H+" is HSPA+. Both are fast, but LTE is faster.

You aren't going to get LTE on AT&T's network with Verizon's handset. The OP got LTE on T-Mobile's network with the Verizon phone, probably because of a big frequency swap that T-Mo and VZW did in January. (I'm guessing that T-Mo is now using the VZW spectrum in the area where the OP lives.) Sorry.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I have an Icon on Verizon but I also have an AT&T family plan.

So what I gather is that the Verizon Icon will work on AT&T but no LTE and no MMS.

Do you simply put an AT&T sim card in and go or do you have to add in APN settings?

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks!

I will wait for the 8.1 update before moving it over on the family plan as I don't think I'd get it if I had an AT&T sim card in..

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I was able to just put the SIM and go. Just no MMS.

Try the Nokia Access Point app, I put my AT&T GoPhone SIM into my 928. I don't have data with that account, and initially had data disabled. MMS failed, so I tried turning data on. Still failed. Downloaded the Access Point app, and now even without data MMS works on my 928.

Didn't try it with the Icon yet since I need to grab a SIM adapter first.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo