ICON running on At&t....

Rperk211

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
is anyone using the icon on at&t? i really want a windows phone. the 1520 is to big for me and i feel like the 1020 is a step back for me. i have a iPhone 5s and I'm so over Apple. i really like the icon, but id like to know if i buy it can i just pop my sim card from my iPhone in it? i know i won't have 4G. thats not really a big deal for me. Is there any thing else i have to worry about?

PLEASE HELP

tcman88

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
is anyone using the icon on at&t? i really want a windows phone. the 1520 is to big for me and i feel like the 1020 is a step back for me. i have a iPhone 5s and I'm so over Apple. i really like the icon, but id like to know if i buy it can i just pop my sim card from my iPhone in it? i know i won't have 4G. thats not really a big deal for me. Is there any thing else i have to worry about?

PLEASE HELP

you won't get MMS either. Voice , text and 3G data

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
The 1020 isn't a step back. If I had to select the Icon or the 1020 for a GSM carrier, I would definitely select the 1020.

Rperk211

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
thanks for all the response's. but despite all the good info i went and ordered the phone any way. it should be here tuesday. i will make sure to post all my findings.

wish me luck....

bruinsphan

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I had the icon and was using it with at&t for two weeks. I loved the phone and everything worked great except the inability to receive mms messages. This turned into the deal breaker for me as I depend on group messages for a lot of things. If not receiving mms is no biggie for you than you should be very happy.

Rperk211

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
thanks for the advice. and yes i think that would be a deal breaker for me too. So i canceled my order. Now i could use some more advice...... should i now wait to see what new windows phone comes out for AT&T or should i get a 1020 no and try windows to see if i even like it. ..... by the way i am currently using the iPhone 5S. Any thoughts?

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
you should be able to find a 1020 for a pretty reasonable price off contract if you want to save a subsidized upgrade for something newer.

i currently have a 1020 and had a 5s and a 1520 and my sister has an icon. the 1020 still takes some of the best pictures i've ever taken with any phone i've ever used.

the screen looks like a step back when you go back and forth between the gorgeous (but way to large imo) screen of the 1520 and the amazingly sharp screen of the icon. but after you readgust to it, it's still a great screen. i miss my third row of icons.

personally at this point, with build looming ever closer, i wouldn't sign a contract for the (now) antiquated 1020, but i would probably pick one up off contract on CL or the like for the $300 or so they're going for. if you don't want your iphone anymore, you could probably make a trade or a buy/sell and net some cash in your pocket.

so the tl;dr version:

screen is a step back but still great
you won't notice the processor improvement in the sd800 (for now)
camera is still the best out there

Rperk211

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
great advice. as for my iPhone I'm not going to get rid of it just yet (might go back) ..... but i think you make a good point and i will start looking for good used 1020.

anon(26204)

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Dont know what I did but I got mms working using straight talk/att SIM. I'm able to send and receive.

I'll post screenshots of my apn settings tomorrow morning :)

sequoia464

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
i picked up a like new 920 on ebay for 159$ cant wait for it to get here.

​I also recently picked up a 920 to use until there is an Iconesque phone (929?) that will function fully on either AT&T or T-mobil's towers.

So far I'm actually pretty happy with the 920 - not in a big rush to spend another $500 or so for a replacement.

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure he is talking about buying a used 1020 off of craigslist or ebay. You should be able to pick one up for $300-$400 in good shape.

I don't think that's what he meant. He sais: you can buy cheap off-contract. Which means in the store. Or maybe there are off- on- contract options for used phones bought from private parties? I did not know about such. In any case, comparing apples to apples off-contract Lumia 1020 is $610, and Icon $550 if I am not mistaken.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs