My Experience In The Verizon Store While Picking Up A Icon

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Well...I went with a friend to the Verizon store yesterday so that they could exchange their G2 for a Icon. The G2 was a nice phone but my friend kept getting the error "Google Process Force Closed" etc. It happened like over 10 times yesterday, even after factory resetting the phone. So I persuaded him to get a Icon or yes..a iPhone.lol. So we went to the Verizon store and explained the situation to the Rep. The Rep was like he'll just give him another G2. But my buddy was like no, he wanted to exchange it for the Icon. The Rep then asked my buddy if he was sure that that he wanted the Icon and of course my buddy was like yes. The Rep begin to belittle Windows Phone, saying that the hardware is not up to par with Android or iOS and that the apps selection is horrible. He then told my buddy that he should think twice before grabbing the Icon. I was like wth...seriously. So then I got into the mix and told the Rep that the Icon has one of the best cameras on any smartphone other than maybe the 1020, the build of the Icon is a lot better than any Android phone period and that the apps are coming. He looked shocked to know that I also knew about phones.

So after all that, the rep went to the back to grab a Icon. When he returned, we asked if there was any cases available. His response was that all the cases are in the back because they didn't think the Icon would sale.I just stood there and shook my head.

So as the our rep was doing the exchange, another rep approached a customer that was waiting to be helped. When the rep asked the customer if they could help them, the customer response was that he wanted to buy the Icon and right after that another customer went over to the Icon that was sitting on display in a lonely corner and also said that they were going to get one as well.

It just really shocks me to enter a store and the reps don't mention Windows phone at all or look at you stupid when you inquire about one or actually buy one.

This is the same sort of experience I had when trying to get a Lumia 520 for my mum at an O2 store here in the UK as a replacement for her Galaxy Nexus. The rep insisted that the Galaxy Nexus was a better phone and I was that shocked I couldn't think of anything to say.

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I know a vzw rep and he's an android ******. He's always giving me crap about WP. I constantly prove him wrong about 90% of the time. He only wins when it comes to fitbit and smartwatch apps.

He admits that reps street people away from WP. Its really sad that they don't even know the OS but they slam it.

Brickz187

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I currently work at best buy, and previously worked in best buy mobile for 2 years and I can tell you that reps will always sway towards what makes them the most money. If someone comes in for an iPhone, they automatically sway them towards an android. If a rep wants to avoid returns and sell lots of accessories, they always sway towards an iPhone. Usually my coworkers never sold windows phones because they knew nothing about them and weren't pressured to learn. Difference between people who are in it because they love it and people who are in it for just a job.

anon8657740

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I honestly hate Verizon, they messed up all my screen protectors and tried to over charge me for weird features TWICE.... And like you said, they know absolutely nothing about windows phones and they usually act like they suck.... I'm sorry that we have to deal with this but that's just life I suppose. Hopefully they get better over time

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I dropped Verizon like a bad habit because of their awful WP support. They are way to deep in googles pocket with droid...at&t has been so much friendlier with their support of wp and much more knowledgeable.

From an insider point of view I can say that VZW actually tried to launch Windows Phone as an acceptable alternative for those that hadn't yet gotten a smartphone. Data Sense(was exclusive to VZW for awhile) and Live Tiles were positioned as easier to use than Android and iOS. So I wouldn't say they are deep Googles pocket. It's just that reps are VERY partial to their own OS of choice. I've explained to other reps how great it is, and I even acknowledge its shortcomings, and they just refuse to hear any part of it. As far as they know it still "has no apps".

Very annoying. But anyways Verizon tried, and just hasn't pushed as hard as they should. Google has no say in the matter however...they just are easier to work with regarding custom applications on device launches.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I know a vzw rep and he's an android ******. He's always giving me crap about WP. I constantly prove him wrong about 90% of the time. He only wins when it comes to fitbit and smartwatch apps.

He admits that reps street people away from WP. Its really sad that they don't even know the OS but they slam it.

This is much closer to the truth. A bunch of fanboys work for the carriers and influence public perception of WP. It isn't any particular carriers stance.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Welp, for what it's worth some smartwatches are getting 3rd party drivers for WP now.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
My worst experience here in Switzerland. I went to a Orange store to send in my HTC 8X, and the sales person said: "Well, you can send it in. Unfortunately we only have Windows Phone devices as a temporary replacement until you get it back, at the moment."

I found it kind of ironic ;-)

Ok. I'm not up on ALL WP8 models, so this may sound silly, but isn't the 8X a WP? smh...

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
This is much closer to the truth. A bunch of fanboys work for the carriers and influence public perception of WP. It isn't any particular carriers stance.

Agreed, as reps they should be presenting their customers with all the options and letting them make the decision. When I was working for a retailer I always believed in two things "The customer is always right" and "Give the customer what they want".

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Wow, Redmond is Microsoft's back yard. It's possible people are harsher there because of Microsoft's presence, but that's pretty wild.

My experience was horrible, but not because of employee knowledge. He was helpful, and admitted to knowing nothing about the phone, so he focused on making sure I was happy with the purchase and getting everything squared away properly. The manager on staff knew about it, and wouldn't stop talking about how great the camera was. I had to call VZW as a result of the issues I had in the store, and one of the reps I spoke to was very helpful, and genuinely excited about the Icon.

True Redmond is Microsoft's backyard, but this is Sprint we're talking about, that doesn't really support the WP OS. I actually see a lot of Lumias out here.

Garrymp

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I took two Droids back to Verizon to "trade them in". When the sales rep asked me what I wanted to upgrade to I informed him that I had got my Icon the day before at a Microsoft store and to please apply my credit for the phones to my bill. The guy was visibly aggravated but then I got to tell him and a regional manager about how a month earlier some dope in their own store started running his mouth to me about how windows phone sucks. He didn't realize that I knew more about it than he did. I told them it put me off from making my purchase there...plus a free charger. I bent their ears a little while and when I left I think they understood their problem.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand how Windows Phone has the highest customer satisfactory and somehow has an 80% return rate according to these sales reps. I'm calling BS on their part.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
One of the reps at the local Verizon store here actually has a Icon. Problem is that she knows nothing about it, and the only reason she has one is because every 90 days or so, they get a new phone.

NDCowpoke

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I went to the Verizon Corporate store on south 45th in Fargo ND on Friday, March 14th, my upgrade date. I wanted a white Icon but none of the Fargo stores had one in stock In fact only 2 of the stores in town had an ICON, the other 3 stores had paper models of a black 928. I got greeted at the door and my name taken down. The greeter asked what the reason was for my visit and I told him to upgrade my phone. He suggested that I look around at the phones while I waited. After about 20 minutes a sales person called my name and then again asked for the reason for being in the store that day. I told him it was my upgrade date I and wanted to pick up a Nokia Lumia Icon. He asked for my phone # and name and said it looks like your eligible for an upgrade tomorrow on March 14th. I said today is March 14th, He said no it's the 13th. I asked if he needed to recalibrate the Ipad Mini that he was using as a sales device to get it to show the correct date. He said no. I suggested that he check the date on his iphone. Hey guess what, it really is the 14th and I’m due an upgrade today. He stated off on his Droid and Edge sales pitches. I told him I knew what phone I wanted and that I wasn't interested in any other phone or the Edge program. He asked what kind of phone I was currently using. I pulled out and HTC trophy (spouse's) and my Nokia Lumia 928. He said so you like Windows phone, I've never used one, what do you like about windows. I explained how the organization of the screen and the ability to have large tiles was ideal for my spouse with Alzheimer's and that large photo tiles with picture of family and friends made it easier to use the phone. I said that I thought that trying to use iOS or Android would be a nightmare. The situation went downhill from there. When he went to the stock room to get the phone he came back with the phone and some boxes and started to try to sell me $120 bundle that included a screen protector, a car charger and an Otter Box case. I told him that it would make better sense to try to sell me a wireless Nokia charging plate or a Fatboy pillow instead. He didn't know that both the 928 and Icon can use wireless charging. He put the sim in the Icon got it turned on, but could figure out how to get off the ICON lock screen. At that time I asked if there was someone else I could work with. He said no so I asked for the manager. The manager told me I was being rude. I told the manger that I was having a bad shopping experience and that if he couldn't get someone else with better product knowledge to assist me that I would just go order online and wait for the phone to arrive by mail. The manager agreed to help and the rest went smoothly of getting the 928 moved off my line and on to the spouse's line to replace the Trophy. I even had an intelligent conversation with the manger about the glance screen situation.

Last edited:

flyadan

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I went to Verizon today to pick up a new Icon for my upgrade. They had both the white and black on display. When asked if I needed help I told the sales person I would like to upgrade to a white Icon. He asked why and tried to sell me a Droid ultimate! I politely told him no, but please bring out a white Icon so i can upgrade and leave. They had none in stock, black or white! I asked why and he explained they got one shipment and haven't put in for a 2nd. So now have to wait 3 days for my phone! Not happy, i was really excited for it.

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
The problem is the high return rate on windows phone on any carrier, the reps just want to get their commissions on time. It is what it is, the WP8 fever worns out very quickly for most people including me. I do get a WP8 phone every 2 months or so, just to see how its going and after 15 to 20 days I end up returning or selling it, most users get to a point where one of the ' essential' apps they use is not on windows phone or the current iteration is not up par with iOS or Android and that when it hits them. So I don't blame the rep. he just know that 7 out of 10 customers will return the device.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
lol what? why on every poll does it have the highest customer satisfaction rating?

idk what essential apps are missing either... i only see like 4-5 apps as essential. Messager, E-mail, F-book, some kind of music player.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb