Day 20 with Icon and It's feeling... Limited

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
You realize two of your links is from 2012!? Android 4.4 was just put as more stable than iOS recently and has changed so much since 2012 overall. The J.D. link didn`t help your case at all because Samsung was the highest rated Manufacturer after Apple according to them. Your case about your coworkers is very anecdotal, and does not prove anything and to say they are Samsung devices makes it worse seeing as they are the heaviest with customization. To say Windows Phone does the essentials best is very subjective. Also, WP8 does not have the casuals games yet. The latest ones, Cut the Rope 2 and Threes are nowhere to be found on WP.

Um, most people who have Android have them from the time period in question. There are newer satisfaction articles that still show the same, but I just picked the first couple I came across. The JD Powers shows Nokia ahead of Samsung at AT&T where there majority of the users were at the time. The lower scores for Nokia on T-Mobile may have something to do with the 8XX variant that T-Mobile stopped support on after several months. The 52X variant is too new to really impact this survey.

As to casual games, it's got the Temple Run series, Subway Surfers, Rail Rush, all of the Angry Birds, the Asphalt series, most Mini-Clip made games (like Rail Rush), most of the Disney games, Minion Rush, Ragdoll Run, Royal Revolt, etc... Cut the Rope is one of the few franchises that doesn't seem to understand that WP has a higher monetization rate. Not all of the latest and greatest games get on WP right from the start, but that is slowly changing. The reality is, however, that most, as I said, of the best casual games are on WP.

But thanks for taking this thread into territory where it should be in the OS wars forum.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Um, most people who have Android have them from the time period in question. There are newer satisfaction articles that still show the same, but I just picked the first couple I came across. The JD Powers shows Nokia ahead of Samsung at AT&T where there majority of the users were at the time. The lower scores for Nokia on T-Mobile may have something to do with the 8XX variant that T-Mobile stopped support on after several months. The 52X variant is too new to really impact this survey.

As to casual games, it's got the Temple Run series, Subway Surfers, Rail Rush, all of the Angry Birds, the Asphalt series, most Mini-Clip made games (like Rail Rush), most of the Disney games, Minion Rush, Ragdoll Run, Royal Revolt, etc... Cut the Rope is one of the few franchises that doesn't seem to understand that WP has a higher monetization rate. Not all of the latest and greatest games get on WP right from the start, but that is slowly changing. The reality is, however, that most, as I said, of the best casual games are on WP.

But thanks for taking this thread into territory where it should be in the OS wars forum.

Thanks for blaming something on me, when it takes two to tango. Also the casual games and the newest apps that are not on WP is one of the reasons it is behind. How you can leave a platform that has all the apps you want for one that has most to some of the apps you use or might want?

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for blaming something on me, when it takes two to tango. Also the casual games and the newest apps that are not on WP is one of the reasons it is behind. How you can leave a platform that has all the apps you want for one that has most to some of the apps you use or might want?

Apparently it takes half a dozen to tango. How can I want to go to a platform that makes me a product to be sold to others just so I can have every possible game out there, when the one I am on treats me like the customer, and has several thousand (yes, several thousand) games that cover my needs and wants? The same platform that doesn't lag after time, and whose "free" games don't constantly nag me with a plethora of pop-up ads? Why would I want to use an OS whose very design was done to get as many people tied into a data gathering system for collecting information on me to better target me with marketing, versus one that only uses ad revenue as a supplement and mostly just targets of keyword searches I do?

Every OS has it's pluses and minuses. Android's biggest plus is it's flexibility. It's minuses are a bridge too far for people like me.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Um.... maybe because you posted a "retort" to his statement? What, are you the only one who gets to reply to people or something?

Why are you forcing yourself into the convo? LOL yes this is a forum but just like with any conversation, you can tell who are aggressively wanting to be included. Have several seats

And no he is not disallowed from replying, but if he sees one thing, and I see another, why continue? It's nothing but a "have the last word" bull crap. You and him can continue to play that game amongst yourselves. I'm over it

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Apparently it takes half a dozen to tango. How can I want to go to a platform that makes me a product to be sold to others just so I can have every possible game out there, when the one I am on treats me like the customer, and has several thousand (yes, several thousand) games that cover my needs and wants? The same platform that doesn't lag after time, and whose "free" games don't constantly nag me with a plethora of pop-up ads? Why would I want to use an OS whose very design was done to get as many people tied into a data gathering system for collecting information on me to better target me with marketing, versus one that only uses ad revenue as a supplement and mostly just targets of keyword searches I do?

Every OS has it's pluses and minuses. Android's biggest plus is it's flexibility. It's minuses are a bridge too far for people like me.

I think you don't understand what is android. Its very easy to get rid of the play store and use another app store and circumvent Google apps all together and still have a good phone. I guess the minuses make you the very small minority. Millions of android users around and they don't kind it a bit. I don't mind it because it is much easier and versatile to use Google services.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I think you don't understand what is android. Its very easy to get rid of the play store and use another app store and circumvent Google apps all together and still have a good phone. I guess the minuses make you the very small minority. Millions of android users around and they don't kind it a bit. I don't mind it because it is much easier and versatile to use Google services.

The overwhelming majority of people, especially in the US, have no desire to mess with their phones in that way. Why would I want to buy an Android phone and use a third party store? I can also guarantee you that more than half of the people worldwide that use Android just click right through all of those warnings about permissions and such. They have no idea how deeply rooted the data gathering on them is. Most of the people I have seen that come across this knowledge are usually completely unaware of it. This was the whole reason MS launched their Scroogled campaign, as they saw the surveys and determined what I just said...most people don't know how much data is collected on them. If everyone was as aware as I was, I think Android would quickly lose at least a third of there customers within a year (my opinion, of course).

What really irks me about technically inclined Android users, something that seems to be shared by their Linux brethren, is that they can't understand why anyone would want something that is simpler and just works well out of the box, versus something that is highly flexible, but needs to be tweaked all over the place to customize the experience for most users. You just don't "get" why people would choose WP and iOS over Android, right? I use to do the whole homebrew thing with webOS. Tinkered all over the place. It's still one of the best designed UI's ever made for mobile. I had BB before it with the bazillion options in the settings with all of their profiles and stuff. You know what? I got tired of managing my phone to make it play different tones and vibrations based on who called or texted, and the method they communicated with me. I got tired of tweaking for performance. I got tired of changing things around all of the time trying to get the best workflow I could. Now, I just relax and USE my phone for its intended purpose. I don't need to babysit the dang thing anymore. I pick it up and play a game, or surf the web, check messages, make a call, find my location, do a search, etc...then I can just put the phone back down and doing things. It's nice...really nice.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The overwhelming majority of people, especially in the US, have no desire to mess with their phones in that way. Why would I want to buy an Android phone and use a third party store? I can also guarantee you that more than half of the people worldwide that use Android just click right through all of those warnings about permissions and such. They have no idea how deeply rooted the data gathering on them is. Most of the people I have seen that come across this knowledge are usually completely unaware of it. This was the whole reason MS launched their Scroogled campaign, as they saw the surveys and determined what I just said...most people don't know how much data is collected on them. If everyone was as aware as I was, I think Android would quickly lose at least a third of there customers within a year (my opinion, of course).

What really irks me about technically inclined Android users, something that seems to be shared by their Linux brethren, is that they can't understand why anyone would want something that is simpler and just works well out of the box, versus something that is highly flexible, but needs to be tweaked all over the place to customize the experience for most users. You just don't "get" why people would choose WP and iOS over Android, right? I use to do the whole homebrew thing with webOS. Tinkered all over the place. It's still one of the best designed UI's ever made for mobile. I had BB before it with the bazillion options in the settings with all of their profiles and stuff. You know what? I got tired of managing my phone to make it play different tones and vibrations based on who called or texted, and the method they communicated with me. I got tired of tweaking for performance. I got tired of changing things around all of the time trying to get the best workflow I could. Now, I just relax and USE my phone for its intended purpose. I don't need to babysit the dang thing anymore. I pick it up and play a game, or surf the web, check messages, make a call, find my location, do a search, etc...then I can just put the phone back down and doing things. It's nice...really nice.

I don`t understand everyone automatically assumes android users tinker with everything on their phone, I have a total of 14 apps downloaded from the play store. I still use the stock launcher and everything. I am a very advanced android user, and I believe that tinkering is something all android users used to do and it is something that is common now, because we like to make stuff our own and make it unique and different but stock launchers are becoming the norm as android matures and everything on the platform gets better and better. I do get why people choose iOS and WP over android nothing I said suggested otherwise. Yeah apps collect data about you, in the long run, do I or anyone else cares? Not really. Should we really be when their other pressing life matters to attend to? Nope. I doubt a lot of android users would leave android just because of data being collected. These are the users who use Facebook, Twitter and put their entire lives on the web. Just like the media and the internet assumed everyone would go crazy over Snowden and PRISM, and when you asked a normal person about they gave the resounding "I don`t really care".

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I don`t understand everyone automatically assumes android users tinker with everything on their phone, I have a total of 14 apps downloaded from the play store. I still use the stock launcher and everything. I am a very advanced android user, and I believe that tinkering is something all android users used to do and it is something that is common now, because we like to make stuff our own and make it unique and different but stock launchers are becoming the norm as android matures and everything on the platform gets better and better. I do get why people choose iOS and WP over android nothing I said suggested otherwise. Yeah apps collect data about you, in the long run, do I or anyone else cares? Not really. Should we really be when their other pressing life matters to attend to? Nope. I doubt a lot of android users would leave android just because of data being collected. These are the users who use Facebook, Twitter and put their entire lives on the web. Just like the media and the internet assumed everyone would go crazy over Snowden and PRISM, and when you asked a normal person about they gave the resounding "I don`t really care".

I don't have an Android, but I do like Linux. I also enjoy tinkering with Linux,and I belong to 2 local Linux User Groups. Not all of the Linux users have Androids. There is another person with a Windows Phone and a few people with iPhones. The Linux users don't hate Windows, and many of them also run Windows on their home PCs.

spazzmeister

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Anyone who uses Facebook doesn't care about their data and privacy. That is more than 90% of the populace. So why would they not choose android again?
I have both Android and WP simply because of the crap app store, there are no medical apps in Microsofts store. This is unacceptable. I cannot recommend the WP to any any of my co-workers because of this. Beautiful OS, Ugly store.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Anyone who uses Facebook doesn't care about their data and privacy. That is more than 90% of the populace. So why would they not choose android again?
I have both Android and WP simply because of the crap app store, there are no medical apps in Microsofts store. This is unacceptable. I cannot recommend the WP to any any of my co-workers because of this. Beautiful OS, Ugly store.

They will care when that data is used against them later in life.
Ask those that have gotten busted by their employers and others for the stupid things they put out there.
They cared then.

No such thing as, "I have nothing to hide."
yes you do. and besides that, it's no one else's business

Just because someone can do something doesn't mean they should.

Only stupid people use the phrase, "I have nothing to hide"
you'll change that tune when the authorities come knocking on your door just to take a look around won't you.

Hypocrites

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Ask those that have gotten busted by their employers and others for the stupid things they put out there.
They cared then.

you'll change that tune when the authorities come knocking on your door just to take a look around won't you.

Hypocrites

If people use social networks and self incriminate themselves, that is their own fault. And yes I can use the phrase "I have nothing to hide". But I don't use any social networks at all.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Why are you forcing yourself into the convo? LOL yes this is a forum but just like with any conversation, you can tell who are aggressively wanting to be included. Have several seats

And no he is not disallowed from replying, but if he sees one thing, and I see another, why continue? It's nothing but a "have the last word" bull crap. You and him can continue to play that game amongst yourselves. I'm over it

Actually, I didn't have to "force" myself into anything. It was quite easy, actually. All I had to do was click the "Reply" button and start typing. Anyway, I "forced" myself in because I disagree with your point just as much as he does. You'd have to be blind not to see that the majority opinion on this forum absolutely does not reflect what you said. And if you're so "over it" then why engage in the debate in the first place? As they say, "If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen".

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
They cared then.

Hypocrites

I don't know what you've been up to, but speak for yourself. The cops could walk into my house in the next two minutes and there's not a single thing in my possession or on my computer I'd be scared about them finding. Way to generalize.

Existence_Inc

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Could we maybe stray back on topic?

I think a lot of one's happiness with a device comes from their expectations and usage. I quite like my Icon and I understood the shortcomings of the device LONG before it was released (as most of them are OS and 3rd party support issues). Aside from my massive increase in data usage (anticipated, but an unknown), missing my notification light, and missing the independent volume controls, the device has met my expectations and works for my usage type. It may not work for others as their usage type and expectations are different. Different strokes and all.

At least we all have options for OS, Manufacturer, Features, Size, Storage, etc. Competition drives innovation. Where would iOS be without Palm/BBOS? Where would Android be without iOS and BB10 and WP? They each innovate and the rest react. Lets just hope our chosen OS (WP8) can reach feature parity while maintaining stability and the user friendly interface that brought us all aboard.

~Ex

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

I think a lot of one's happiness with a device comes from their expectations and usage. I quite like my Icon and I understood the shortcomings of the device LONG before it was released (as most of them are OS and 3rd party support issues). Aside from my massive increase in data usage (anticipated, but an unknown), missing my notification light, and missing the independent volume controls, the device has met my expectations and works for my usage type. It may not work for others as their usage type and expectations are different. Different strokes and all.

At least we all have options for OS, Manufacturer, Features, Size, Storage, etc. Competition drives innovation. Where would iOS be without Palm/BBOS? Where would Android be without iOS and BB10 and WP? They each innovate and the rest react. Lets just hope our chosen OS (WP8) can reach feature parity while maintaining stability and the user friendly interface that brought us all aboard.

~Ex

Android was before WP and BB10. But other than that, good post.

Existence_Inc

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Android was before WP and BB10. But other than that, good post.

I meant more in terms of features and appearance. Example: WP7 came out, and both iOS and Android have adopted a flatter look as a result. BB10 was released and many developers have adopted gesture controls (I'd reference Meego/PalmOS influencing BB10 as well in this respect).

And thank you. I came from Android (HTC Incredible) as left because of privacy concerns (app permissions were getting out of control in 2.1-.3) and the lack of consistent OS updates from HTC/VZW and these weren't just feature adds, but major bug fixes. Things are MUCH better now and I would have purchased a HTC One a year ago if they had brought it to Verizon in a timely manner. 3 Phones and 3 platforms, so I consider myself platform neutral. Who knows, I may be on iOS next (had an iPod Touch 2nd Gen, so I have technically had an iOS device as well).

~Ex

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site

I think a lot of one's happiness with a device comes from their expectations and usage. I quite like my Icon and I understood the shortcomings of the device LONG before it was released (as most of them are OS and 3rd party support issues).

~Ex

See this guy gets it. I'm curious about your data usage though. From what I've read and what I've personally experienced, data usage should be waaaaay less on your WP than a comparable Android or iOS phone. Maybe try turning off as much of your background stuff as you can. I was using more data than on my Android until I realized that all my background apps were on. Keeping my wifi on all the time also drastically reduced my data plan usage and it didnt really affect my battery life.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I meant more in terms of features and appearance. Example: WP7 came out, and both iOS and Android have adopted a flatter look as a result. BB10 was released and many developers have adopted gesture controls (I'd reference Meego/PalmOS influencing BB10 as well in this respect).

And thank you. I came from Android (HTC Incredible) as left because of privacy concerns (app permissions were getting out of control in 2.1-.3) and the lack of consistent OS updates from HTC/VZW and these weren't just feature adds, but major bug fixes. Things are MUCH better now and I would have purchased a HTC One a year ago if they had brought it to Verizon in a timely manner. 3 Phones and 3 platforms, so I consider myself platform neutral. Who knows, I may be on iOS next (had an iPod Touch 2nd Gen, so I have technically had an iOS device as well).

~Ex

I can definitely say with certainty that iOS 7 copieda little of all platforms. Gestures was in Android before BB10, the two finger swipe down gesture (which is pretty much the only gesture besides swipe down in immersive mode) came out in 4.2, before BB10 was announced. Android always was moving towards a flatter look because of the Honeycomb tablets that 4.0 was based off of. Honeycomb also predated WP7 phones:
http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2010/0...oid-firmware-will-feature-on-its-new-tablets/

I no longer care for privacy as using the internet regardless is a privacy concern is you use social networks and sign up for stuff. I myself will never use iOS for a phone. I may just stick with my Moto X for the rest of year, unless a WP for Verizon comes with a screen less than 5 inches, or if this ATIV SE pans out.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I can definitely say with certainty that iOS 7 copieda little of all platforms. Gestures was in Android before BB10, the two finger swipe down gesture (which is pretty much the only gesture besides swipe down in immersive mode) came out in 4.2, before BB10 was announced. Android always was moving towards a flatter look because of the Honeycomb tablets that 4.0 was based off of. Honeycomb also predated WP7 phones:

BB10 was unique not because it created the gestures but because it used ONLY gestures to navigate. No home or back button. When did the iphone have the swipe right to search gesture? Was that before or after the Android pull down notification menu "gesture"? That's a sincere question not a smartassy one cuz I dont know the answer. Did WM or Symbian have any gesture based actions that predate Apple and Android? Can't think of any off the top of my head.
Honeycomb was far from flat. If you look at stock honeycomb icons, they were all still very 3dish. WP7 came out a year before Honeycomb 3.0 came out let alone ICS 4.0. The flat icon mobile look was started by WP7. Android/Apple fans probably would kill themselves before they will admit that Microsoft actually did something the duopoly took ques from. Even Microsoft heads are probably a little surprised at that. Apple/Android got rid of the drop shadows and the shading on the edges of their icons only this past year or two?

So yeah...20 days...not satisfied with the ICON...that sucks...Things may change. Tomorrows a big day for change. Apps wont change overnight so trade up your phone if your life is about apps or other competitors services.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
BB10 was unique not because it created the gestures but because it used ONLY gestures to navigate. No home or back button. When did the iphone have the swipe right to search gesture? Was that before or after the Android pull down notification menu "gesture"? That's a sincere question not a smartassy one cuz I dont know the answer. Did WM or Symbian have any gesture based actions that predate Apple and Android? Can't think of any off the top of my head.
Honeycomb was far from flat. If you look at stock honeycomb icons, they were all still very 3dish. WP7 came out a year before Honeycomb 3.0 came out let alone ICS 4.0. The flat icon mobile look was started by WP7. Android/Apple fans probably would kill themselves before they will admit that Microsoft actually did something the duopoly took ques from. Even Microsoft heads are probably a little surprised at that. Apple/Android got rid of the drop shadows and the shading on the edges of their icons only this past year or two?

So yeah...20 days...not satisfied with the ICON...that sucks...Things may change. Tomorrows a big day for change. Apps wont change overnight so trade up your phone if your life is about apps or other competitors services.

I'm not talking about the iPhone honeycomb UI was flat icons themselves wasn't flat and still today icons aren't flat on Android. Honeycomb was announced shortly after Windows Windows Phone 7 was launched but it was in development and was confirmed before Windows Phone 7 was released. That was confirmed in my link I posted prior. Apple copied everyone so I don't care what happened with them. But Android for sure had a flat design going forward.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)