Day 20 with Icon and It's feeling... Limited

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I didn't have to "force" myself into anything. It was quite easy, actually. All I had to do was click the "Reply" button and start typing. Anyway, I "forced" myself in because I disagree with your point just as much as he does. You'd have to be blind not to see that the majority opinion on this forum absolutely does not reflect what you said. And if you're so "over it" then why engage in the debate in the first place? As they say, "If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen".

LMAO do you feel better now after you completely dodged every point I made and got a co sign from your best friend?

Starrbuck

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Android was before WP and BB10.

Not really. WP was the successor to Windows Mobile which began in 2000. M$ certainly learned from WM when WP was built.

Android wasn't released until 2007, but I suppose you could argue it was the successor to Linux, even tho Linux is, of course, still around.

Existence_Inc

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
See this guy gets it. I'm curious about your data usage though. From what I've read and what I've personally experienced, data usage should be waaaaay less on your WP than a comparable Android or iOS phone. Maybe try turning off as much of your background stuff as you can. I was using more data than on my Android until I realized that all my background apps were on. Keeping my wifi on all the time also drastically reduced my data plan usage and it didnt really affect my battery life.

My data usage has increased 3 fold, from 1GB a month to over 3GB. It isn't a big change for someone coming from iOS or Android directly, but my last 2.5 years have been on a BB Bold 9930 which has the benefit of BIS. BIS features pretty efficient data compression which speeds up internet/email/etc and reduces the data usage significantly. My Icon may be better for browsing the web, thanks in part to the 5" screen, but it isn't significantly faster despite the advantage of LTE vs 3G on my Bold. As a side note, I have unlimited data through VZW, so I never use WiFi (unless I have to), so my data comparison is pretty accurate now that I have settled into a routine with my Icon.

I can definitely say with certainty that iOS 7 copieda little of all platforms. Gestures was in Android before BB10, the two finger swipe down gesture (which is pretty much the only gesture besides swipe down in immersive mode) came out in 4.2, before BB10 was announced. Android always was moving towards a flatter look because of the Honeycomb tablets that 4.0 was based off of. Honeycomb also predated WP7 phones:
Samsung confirms Honeycomb Android firmware, will feature on its new tablets - The Next Web

I no longer care for privacy as using the internet regardless is a privacy concern is you use social networks and sign up for stuff. I myself will never use iOS for a phone. I may just stick with my Moto X for the rest of year, unless a WP for Verizon comes with a screen less than 5 inches, or if this ATIV SE pans out.

No offense meant, but you try too hard to "defend" Android. It isn't a contest here. All of them have brought new features/ideas to the table, and all mobile OS have borrowed from what came before. Arguing that something was "in development" before someone else announced their feature is rather short sighted. It is HIGHLY unlikely that any player in the mobile OS game has no clue what their competitors are working on. No company operates in a vacuum. That is obvious from the short separation between features like Siri and Google Now! And that is a GOOD thing for consumers. End of.

As for privacy, I don't participate in social networking, nor do I put any identifying information into my profiles for forums or such. I browse using as many privacy features as I can, even to the point of denying analytic software any data about my browser or machine. It isn't so much that I have anything to hide, but I have a right to privacy and I take the necessary steps to protect that privacy as best as I can. I agree with the 5" statement too. Unfortunately, it seems that we are in the minority. I finally gave in with the Icon, and though I have adjusted, it is still larger than I would have liked. The Moto X is probably the best Android phone available today (IMHO) as it isn't about the best tech, but the best use of it. If it had an SD slot, I would have jumped a long time ago. In fact, if Nokia releases a 64GB Icon or an updated device with an SD slot on VZW, I'll jump to that as I miss my storage. I have a considerable music collection and I'd prefer to carry one device instead of two (Down from 3, now that I have a phone with a good camera.)

~Ex

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Not really. WP was the successor to Windows Mobile which began in 2000. M$ certainly learned from WM when WP was built.

Android wasn't released until 2007, but I suppose you could argue it was the successor to Linux, even tho Linux is, of course, still around.

WP7 is entirely different to WM so that should not count.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Good for you. Do you recommend this for regular consumers too? I doubt it. They are the ones at the mercy of the carriers. Just like I would never suggest an average consumer to root their phones. I'm tech savvy and I don't root. Android has matured enough where I don't need to anyways. If you used android recently you would know it runs just as good as any other platform now.

I won't go back and quote every post preceding this.

I recommend anyone that does not wish to wait to get the dev preview.
It is the exact same thing that get's pushed out later by carriers.

If there are bugs in the Dev Preview they will most likely be there when pushed out.
There are caveats to Dev Preview, such as, possible warranty void, and slight chance there might be something that needs a firmware update
But besides the warranty, there should next to zero issues with doing the update through Dev Preview

The whole purpose of it is for App Developers to code and test there apps before general release so they can be ready starting day 1
If there were issues as you suggest then the Dev Preview would be moot, no point or purpose for the preview cause all that would do is screw up App Dev's
they would habe to start over after general release.

So, in the end, there is zero difference between Dev Preview and General Release to OTA

Windows Phone Dev Center

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
This should help people understand exactly what Dev Preview is specifically ...
and that there is ZERO difference with Dev Preview versus what will be released OTA and on new phones.

The letter, reportedly sent by Microsoft to Windows Phone partners, says that the remaining work to be done on Windows Phone 8.1 is addressing "a small set of issues" (i.e. bug fixes) and is expected to be complete on April 8th. From there, this gold master build will be distributed to manufacturers on April 14th — less than two weeks away.

Registered developers will be able to download and install Windows Phone 8.1 shortly after that through the developer preview program. That is a touch later than the April 10th date that we'd heard earlier, but also not exactly a huge delay.

Developer preview build of Windows Phone 8.1 expected April 14 | Windows Phone Central

This does not mean you have to nessicarly should install the Dev Preview right away, but technically, you would be waiting for no reason.
There should not be anything in the "Nokia Cyan Update" that would affect WP8.1 update from working completely and fully, either.

It is pretty safe to say that as long as the update goes without issues during the install process itself, Dev Preview is safe to go through with.

But keep in mind, if there is a problem, there is a chance that you would not be able to get a replacement phone under warranty if they find out you ran the Dev Preview Update.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I did not read this whole thread, but I read a few posts, ,,,, seriously,

for instance.... Lack of Apps and why isn't MS getting on the ball with them?

or

specially since they also had access to the OS of two major competitors in iOS and Android that were already in the marketplace. They didn't have to think all of this up, they could simply go into a store and buy competing products to see what features they should include. Where they should have had the edge was in knowing form their WM experience how to do a feature better than iOS or Android.

Several reasons....

One, MS can't just go grab and Android or iPhone and start fiddling around with it and throw features into WP willy nilly.
There are Patents they have to work around. It's not as simple as you would like to think it is.

MS doesn't write the App's in the store, independent Dev's do. MS can't just go grab apps from Android and iPlay stores, wherever they are
and start making them, they have to come from those Dev's of those apps and be ported over
If you have complaints about that,, you need to talk to THE Dev's of THOSE Apps, not MS.

WP is getting there, and no, no other Smartphone got there over night either.
There have been plenty of crap smartphones of the years.

It's like baking a cake for 50 people, you can not please all of them, otherwise you are going to have nothing but garbage.

I'll take my Icon (just upgraded today from 928) over Android or iPhone any day. Yes, I have played with them both a bit, not impressed.

This phone takes fantastic pictures and video. The speaker could be better for music, but that is not a huge minus with everything else that IS in this phone.

I will agree on Dictation to Word. But again, that ability is not there yet and may come at some future time with Cortana.
Would love for Dragon Naturally Speaking to get a Version for the WP8.1, not sure that is even possible.
But that would be phenomenal. But then, that is what Cortana kinda is. So,,,,,,,,,,

We will have to wait and see what all Cortana will be capable of and what updates they give it over the next couple of cycles.

Already, if what they say is true, Cortana will kick iPhone and Android *** out of the box.

If you want apps, ***** at the Dev's of those apps from the other platforms, not MS. MS can't force them to port to WP.
And they aren't going to do it if there is no demand for it.

So seriously, stop ******** about what isn't there and ***** at those who could provide it and aren't. It's on them, alone, no one else.

As for WM vs WP, someone stated that we have no idea what might have happened internally. But, the fact is, they had to start over, from scratch

I would say, WP has come a long way in a fairly short period of time, under the strain and pressure of not 1 but 2 huge competitors and actually a 3rd,,,, BB at the time.
Say whatever you want,, but that is pretty freaking phenomenal of you ask me.

Oh, and the Icon is a fantastic phone, yes, I highly recommend that if you can take advantage of upgrading, or the Verizon Edge deal, do it, you won't regret it.

Kashan Osama

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I did not read this whole thread, but I read a few posts, ,,,, seriously,

for instance.... Lack of Apps and why isn't MS getting on the ball with them?

or

Several reasons....

One, MS can't just go grab and Android or iPhone and start fiddling around with it and throw features into WP willy nilly.
There are Patents they have to work around. It's not as simple as you would like to think it is.

MS doesn't write the App's in the store, independent Dev's do. MS can't just go grab apps from Android and iPlay stores, wherever they are
and start making them, they have to come from those Dev's of those apps and be ported over
If you have complaints about that,, you need to talk to THE Dev's of THOSE Apps, not MS.

WP is getting there, and no, no other Smartphone got there over night either.
There have been plenty of crap smartphones of the years.

It's like baking a cake for 50 people, you can not please all of them, otherwise you are going to have nothing but garbage.

I'll take my Icon (just upgraded today from 928) over Android or iPhone any day. Yes, I have played with them both a bit, not impressed.

This phone takes fantastic pictures and video. The speaker could be better for music, but that is not a huge minus with everything else that IS in this phone.

I will agree on Dictation to Word. But again, that ability is not there yet and may come at some future time with Cortana.
Would love for Dragon Naturally Speaking to get a Version for the WP8.1, not sure that is even possible.
But that would be phenomenal. But then, that is what Cortana kinda is. So,,,,,,,,,,

We will have to wait and see what all Cortana will be capable of and what updates they give it over the next couple of cycles.

Already, if what they say is true, Cortana will kick iPhone and Android *** out of the box.

If you want apps, ***** at the Dev's of those apps from the other platforms, not MS. MS can't force them to port to WP.
And they aren't going to do it if there is no demand for it.

So seriously, stop ******** about what isn't there and ***** at those who could provide it and aren't. It's on them, alone, no one else.

As for WM vs WP, someone stated that we have no idea what might have happened internally. But, the fact is, they had to start over, from scratch

I would say, WP has come a long way in a fairly short period of time, under the strain and pressure of not 1 but 2 huge competitors and actually a 3rd,,,, BB at the time.
Say whatever you want,, but that is pretty freaking phenomenal of you ask me.

Oh, and the Icon is a fantastic phone, yes, I highly recommend that if you can take advantage of upgrading, or the Verizon Edge deal, do it, you won't regret it.

An extremely over-restrictrive and limited Software and you say it is fantastic and better than Android and/or iOS? WTF....

Despite camera and/or live tiles what does it do better than others? Reality check...

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Uh, doesn't get viruses. Doesn't need a virus scanner. Yes. Better than iPhone and Android.

Plenty of decent apps available now and more coming. Again, blame the devs for lack of support on apps.

If you think it is so easy, build and develop a better one, see you in no less than 5 years.

Same BS over Win8, if you complainers think you can do it better, go for it, no one is stopping you but yourself.

I am all for constructive criticisms, but many go out of there way just to spread fud.

Sent from my RM-927_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

Kashan Osama

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Uh, doesn't get viruses. Doesn't need a virus scanner. Yes. Better than iPhone and Android.

Plenty of decent apps available now and more coming. Again, blame the devs for lack of support on apps.

If you think it is so easy, build and develop a better one, see you in no less than 5 years.

Same BS over Win8, if you complainers think you can do it better, go for it, no one is stopping you but yourself.

I am all for constructive criticisms, but many go out of there way just to spread fud.

Hahahaha it is not fud...ms taking much too long for things to do...tell me how it is better than iOS,and oh that lame "doesnt get viruses" argument,LOL...android is still on top...no one would bother giving a shot to Wp if he comes from IOs/droid...see limit of having only 2 contacts per person,live tiles update every 30minutes,dafuq..no brightness bar? No notification centre till now? And most importantly no reliable push notifications? Is it a Dumb feature-phone or a smartphone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site

Ah, yes. The silver lining of low market penetration. No one is developing viruses for WP 8 because they would only work on 3% of phones. Its like being a mac user.

The point of this thread is that Microsoft has the potential to make WP the best mobile OS on the planet. They just haven't... Yet. Maybe with 8.1 they will inch closer. Now that Ballmer is out WP has a chance. But as a company, WP isn't the best thing they have ever done.

The Icon has a great build quality and plenty of horsepower. The hardware is excellent. If the Icon is to become a success, however its despite running WP - not because of it.

This phone shouldn't have to be simply "good enough."

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Android does not either, and?

You mean like you are about android? Like everyone else does on thi thread and many other. I run into 5-10 posts a day saying how android is this or that. Yet they have not touched an android device in years, if ever.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Stating a fact that WP can't get a virus was a bit understated on my part. Yes, probably can get a virus, but the design o f the OS limits it to it's own memory space. It's sandboxed, can't go anywhere else, can't affect any other part of the system, much like running an isolated virtual machine on a PC.

Unlike Android or iOS.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-android-antivirus,review-2102.html

http://theappsforpc.com/best-antivirus-for-iphone-2014/

So, AV for WP is pointless.

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Poo...es-or-malware/m-p/1096115/highlight/true#M198
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/business/security-us

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Stating a fact that WP can't get a virus was a bit understated on my part. Yes, probably can get a virus, but the design o f the OS limits it to it's own memory space. It's sandboxed, can't go anywhere else, can't affect any other part of the system, much like running an isolated virtual machine on a PC.

True. Those limits are also why WP is hobbled. The restrictions that protect the system also make it less functional. Given my experience with iOS, Android, and WP I'll take the functionality any day.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Uh huh. I am not limited in what I do or can not do overall. And honestly, can you say that the vast majority of other people would be either? My guess is, you would say yes, and not based on anything other than only what you yourself think would be considered limited. That would be called car salesman tactics. Hmm, however I guess that crap works though, we do have Obamacare don't we? Shame for shame.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Uh huh. I am not limited in what I do or can not do overall. And honestly, can you say that the vast majority of other people would be either? My guess is, you would say yes, and not based on anything other than only what you yourself think would be considered limited. That would be called car salesman tactics. Hmm, however I guess that crap works though, we do have Obamacare don't we? Shame for shame.

Wait, I thought they said Obamacare is a good thing...?

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

On what context is this post on? Because right now, I don't understand any of it.

StudentoflifeUSMC

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Comparing WM6 to WP7 is like comparing MS-DOS to Windows 1.0. It's an entirely different approach to an operating system.

Windows 1.0 was a shell that sat on top of MS-DOS. I still have a copy on 5.25 360kb floppy dsks sitting in a box somewhere.

Windows was a MS-Dos shell until Windows 95 for consumers and windows NT for businesses. Or roughly 5 versions, as there was Windows 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, 3.11, and then 95.

So your example is a bit off to say the least.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
This thread just keeps on devolving doesn't it. Android DOES have plenty of apps that pop into the Play store that steal your data. Google doesn't vet apps like MS and Apple do. And, as I have mentioned before, Android is nothing but the means by which Google takes you, and places you on their retail counter space to sell to their customers (which you are not). Nothing said on this thread changes these facts. If you are comfortable with it...have at. Many times most of these data stealing apps look and act like perfectly normal apps, but can sit there and log keystrokes and send the information out without you even knowing. These aren't like the viruses of the WinXP days. Android exploits have hit non-US countries much harder, with a lot of ID theft going on do to the access granted to these apps.

Most people don't need their phones to wipe their butts and turn the TV on. They need it to communicate and play games. With WP adding 45k apps to the store in just the past few months, the apps are gaining steam. With all of the new API's to open up areas that were needed for the niche apps, you will see the app count explode in the next 6 months, and that won't be an excuse any longer.

I have a friend at work who loves being able to swipe up on his HTC One to launch his phone content onto his TV at home. He used it a lot early on and was thrilled with the ability. Now...he doesn't really use it much anymore. Such is the life of many of these extra features on Android phones. Most people simply have no long term use for them.

If you don't like WP, why sit here and argue about the OS, and why use it? If it doesn't meet your needs, assuming you have evaluated your needs and determined they are real needs, why hang around? Just move on and be done with it. For most of us, WP works great. It makes using a smart phone a pleasurable experience and not a headache. To each his/her own.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb