Day 20 with Icon and It's feeling... Limited

Kashan Osama

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
This thread just keeps on devolving doesn't it. Android DOES have plenty of apps that pop into the Play store that steal your data. Google doesn't vet apps like MS and Apple do. And, as I have mentioned before, Android is nothing but the means by which Google takes you, and places you on their retail counter space to sell to their customers (which you are not). Nothing said on this thread changes these facts. If you are comfortable with it...have at. Many times most of these data stealing apps look and act like perfectly normal apps, but can sit there and log keystrokes and send the information out without you even knowing. These aren't like the viruses of the WinXP days. Android exploits have hit non-US countries much harder, with a lot of ID theft going on do to the access granted to these apps.

Most people don't need their phones to wipe their butts and turn the TV on. They need it to communicate and play games. With WP adding 45k apps to the store in just the past few months, the apps are gaining steam. With all of the new API's to open up areas that were needed for the niche apps, you will see the app count explode in the next 6 months, and that won't be an excuse any longer.

I have a friend at work who loves being able to swipe up on his HTC One to launch his phone content onto his TV at home. He used it a lot early on and was thrilled with the ability. Now...he doesn't really use it much anymore. Such is the life of many of these extra features on Android phones. Most people simply have no long term use for them.

If you don't like WP, why sit here and argue about the OS, and why use it? If it doesn't meet your needs, assuming you have evaluated your needs and determined they are real needs, why hang around? Just move on and be done with it. For most of us, WP works great. It makes using a smart phone a pleasurable experience and not a headache. To each his/her own.

WM worked great for most of us

Okay that was much too excessive

Symbian worked great for most of us

Still not right?

Okay so,bb7 worked great for the enterprise,till 2009...when its empire fell...

Understood...it is about improving on the smartphone concept of wp...it is too basic...yet the user experience is a bit harder than that of iOS...

And well android does have extremely useful features aswell...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
An extremely over-restrictrive and limited Software and you say it is fantastic and better than Android and/or iOS? WTF....

Despite camera and/or live tiles what does it do better than others? Reality check...

Everybody doesn't want to tinker with EVERY function of their phone, believe it or not. Get over it

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Falcon hit it right on the head. If you don't like it, why debate back and forth about your opinion of it being inferior? No, this topic is no longer structured to "help" Microsoft with ideas on how to better themselves, it's become a pissing contest with no point.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Falcon hit it right on the head. If you don't like it, why debate back and forth about your opinion of it being inferior? No, this topic is no longer structured to "help" Microsoft with ideas on how to better themselves, it's become a pissing contest with no point.

I agree with that observation.

I originally started this thread to point out what I thought were ways that a rock-solid bit of Nokia hardware was limited by the WP 8 OS that I could not have known or expected until I had the phone in hand.

Now, however, WP 8.1 has been fully discussed and could be available within the week. I feel that until that happens there's not much more to offer on this thread, although much of it will still be of great use to someone evaluating WP 8.

By way of reference, I still have my Icon and have mostly come to terms with it. My favorite feature is without a doubt this beautiful, crisp screen. It begs to take on new functionality, and I am eagerly awaiting WP 8.1 to see what the OS actually adds. If it is as good as many here believe it to be, the Icon will go from a solid double to an inside the park home run. Hopefully Cortana will surprise and if so I will upgrade it to a grand slam.

Cheers to all who have participated in this thread. I hope Icon 8.1 is as good as we are anticipating it to be!

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I agree with that observation.

I originally started this thread to point out what I thought were ways that a rock-solid bit of Nokia hardware was limited by the WP 8 OS that I could not have known or expected until I had the phone in hand.

Now, however, WP 8.1 has been fully discussed and could be available within the week. I feel that until that happens there's not much more to offer on this thread, although much of it will still be of great use to someone evaluating WP 8.

By way of reference, I still have my Icon and have mostly come to terms with it. My favorite feature is without a doubt this beautiful, crisp screen. It begs to take on new functionality, and I am eagerly awaiting WP 8.1 to see what the OS actually adds. If it is as good as many here believe it to be, the Icon will go from a solid double to an inside the park home run. Hopefully Cortana will surprise and if so I will upgrade it to a grand slam.

Cheers to all who have participated in this thread. I hope Icon 8.1 is as good as we are anticipating it to be!

You unintentionally started one of the most irritating threads in WPC history.

Cheers.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I do, it helps to remove stress and that makes my marrage better. In fact if I dont play a game for like 2 weeks, I will be cranky, call it an addction but, it's my life and love every part of it :)

Then there is great iPhone 5s which allow you to play all the greatest nd latest.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Then there is great iPhone 5s which allow you to play all the greatest nd latest.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Yea, sorry but, I am a TOTAL ANTI-Apple person. It was cool stuff back in the Steve Jobs days but, I am sorry, Apple is fading, I really feel Apple died with Steve Jobs, it's just a matter of time.

Where Windows Phone lacks, I have a 360, Xbox one, WiiU, PS3(PS4 coming soon), Gaming PC, 3DS, Vita and 5 coin op arcade games (in my office). I find plenty of gaming when I need it !

So YES, I need to game....

Last edited:

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
You unintentionally started one of the most irritating threads in WPC history.

Cheers.

OMG I was taking a sip of water when I read this and nearly choked! I feel like you put me in the category of Ms. O'Leary's cow. I didn't inadvertently burn the forum to the ground. I just got folks talking. Not every post was pure gold, but there were enough of them that folks kept returning and reading the thread.

It would certainly be good reading for the folks at Microsoft who are starting to behave like they want to know what's on people's minds.

Sorry if you were irritated...

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
OMG I was taking a sip of water when I read this and nearly choked! I feel like you put me in the category of Ms. O'Leary's cow. I didn't inadvertently burn the forum to the ground. I just got folks talking. Not every post was pure gold, but there were enough of them that folks kept returning and reading the thread.

It would certainly be good reading for the folks at Microsoft who are starting to behave like they want to know what's on people's minds.

Sorry if you were irritated...

h60412074.jpg

vepac

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
WP8 is older than iOS7.

The OP is right when he says:

This age thing is just a terrible excuse, and it only comes from users, never from Microsoft (because they probably know it's terrible).

To me every new IOS seems to be more of a service pack with more features rather than a new os. To me wp7 to wp8 was an actual new os. 8.1 is pretty much the whole service pack with more features thing too though.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
To me every new IOS seems to be more of a service pack with more features rather than a new os. To me wp7 to wp8 was an actual new os. 8.1 is pretty much the whole service pack with more features thing too though.

How/why did you even find this thread? It has been dead for four months.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Nah, I disagree with you. If you moved from a 7.8 device (and a large amount of us here did) with the new tile sizes, when you got a WP8 device, there was not any real change that you noticed right away. Sure it performed a lot better and little stuff here and there but, when you look at the phone and your app list, if you blinked, nothing had changed. 8.1 was a service/feature pack (may I say, a NEEDED pack for WP ?).

Just like iOS through all it's versions.....when Siri came, it was a update/service pack. At least Microsoft allowed everyone with a WP8 device get it, but, Apple you had to buy a new phone...

Nothing new, even WM 5 had voice control built in(and finger print on some models), not as advanced as siri or Cortana but, it did work....

My wife has a iPhone (yea, she tried WP, look over my past posts if you want to know how that went), and I have watched every version of iOS for the last 4 years, how ever you look at it, It's just a sea if icons, it was innovative when it came out 5-6 years ago but, now it's old and dated. The only change they made on the interface was turn 3D icons to flat ones...

Yawn... Apple no longer innovates, they just copy...

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
How/why did you even find this thread? It has been dead for four months.

I was thinking the same thing. Who chose to reanimate this corpse?

If you have an Icon, and you are reading this, I strongly suggest you consider the Preview for Developers. WP 8.1 and 8.1 update fixed just about everything that was wrong/lacking in the Icon/WP.

If you already installed 8.1 and are still reading this thread, you are a glutton for punishment. These problems were already solved. There are much more compelling threads you could start/contribute to. Nearly 6 months into the Icon, I can say that this is still a great phone and even my friends with iPhones drool over this crazy good camera, beautiful screen and roomy keyboard.

True, the Yo app (Just Yo) sucks. It doesn't even actually say "Yo," or make a sound. It just appears in a notification that says "[user] sent you a Yo." Worthless. And there's that Cyan Update that Verizon will probably never release. Of course, I will gladly suffer these slights any day not to have Google creepily indexing my emails and browsing history.

Grow up Google. Get some outside interests. Find a hobby, or join a softball team.

Okay. I am done. Hopefully we all are. Sorry if I unintentionally started one of the most irritating threads in WPC history. Maybe it can serve as a warning to others.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers