Incredibly Noisy Low Light Video and Photos

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I also noticed that some of my videos in the exact same conditions have different amounts of noise. Does it partially have to do with like what the camera was pointing at when the record button was hit? I noticed one video would have very little noise, and another is riddled with it. Taken minutes apart in same conditions. The only difference I can think of is maybe I was pointing the camera at a slightly different angle, or downward, or something during one, and not the other? I don't know.

I'd assume it's the phone working in auto

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'd assume it's the phone working in auto

For video, it's pretty much auto. The only thing you can change is white balance and focus.

@Dustin - Yes. That could be a factor. It's possible, that if you start shooting video at a predominantly well lit subject the camera will choose a lower ISO and maintain that ISO throughout the recording. Likewise, if you start shooting video at a not well lit subject, it automatically chooses a higher ISO, and uses that ISO throughout that recording. The videos that started out with the higher ISO would be noisier/grainy. Does that make sense?

Ian Hanson

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Are there any apps that give you manual control in video? If we could shoot RAW video with full manual control, that would be the best. I think you'd see some amazing quality coming out of the 1520 and Icon. The main issue is the software overcompensating in my opinion. I'd rather have a slightly darker video with low noise and then edit that video in post production.

However, for me, in a more general photography sense, if I know I'm going to do some serious low light filming and want the best result, I'll just bring along my DSLR with its APS-C sensor and zoom lens - the quality is just so much better than any smartphone could ever be that it's worth the extra hassle depending on the situation. Obviously you can't always plan on having your DSLR along, but for the important events, I would have my best camera with me.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you upload photos or video from the phone to OneDrive they are compressed for uploading unless you change the settings. Copy them directly from your phone to your computer to get full resolution.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
If you upload photos or video from the phone to OneDrive they are compressed for uploading unless you change the settings. Copy them directly from your phone to your computer to get full resolution.

Compression does not add noise, it just lowers overall quality. Noise is caused by increasing the ISO. Increasing the ISO, increases the sensitivity by amplifying the signal. In doing so you increase the signal to noise ratio which creates noise.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Are there any apps that give you manual control in video? If we could shoot RAW video with full manual control, that would be the best. I think you'd see some amazing quality coming out of the 1520 and Icon. The main issue is the software overcompensating in my opinion. I'd rather have a slightly darker video with low noise and then edit that video in post production.

However, for me, in a more general photography sense, if I know I'm going to do some serious low light filming and want the best result, I'll just bring along my DSLR with its APS-C sensor and zoom lens - the quality is just so much better than any smartphone could ever be that it's worth the extra hassle depending on the situation. Obviously you can't always plan on having your DSLR along, but for the important events, I would have my best camera with me.

Unfortunately none that I know of. I searched the WP store and there are not that many dedicated video capture apps. And the ones that I found had very poor ratings.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

or use Pocket File Manager to directly upload the .DNG raw images.

DonJulio312

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem also, I had a lumia 920 since December 2012. The quality of low light video has went downhill.

For example,
Taken Summer 2013

Taken Summer 2014

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
This has been a huge disappointment for me coming from the 928, which excelled at low light. I was able to do several second exposures (using a tripod) with admirable results on my 928, even in the dark of night. Forget it with the Icon, even at dusk. Maybe we will eventually get Adobe Photoshop Express with noise reduction on the Icon. I shoot on my cell phone so I can post in real time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb