The battery of the 920: experiences and how should I treat it?

Adriaan NL

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
For almost a year, I've got a L920 and I've been pretty satisfied with the device. It runs smoothly and it's just beautiful.

However, a few weeks ago I bought a Moto G, which works on most levels pretty okay, but I find the battery life outstanding. Much more impressive than the L920, even though the 920 does nothing special. My Moto G has lots of apps running the background (WhatsApp, Line, Skype, Kakaotalk, Instagram), and it runs for like 2-3 days with mild usage and 1,5 days with more usage, all without charging. My Lumia 920 does not come near this: it's dead within one day if I use it (mildly) and do not turn on my battery saver. And my Lumia 920 only runs WhatsApp in the background. I've turned off NFC, GPS, Bluetooth - I've done all the usual things (needless to say, why would you need to turn those features off; just like some battery saving tips include "turn on flight mode" - why would you have a smartphone then lol). With extreme usage, like using WhatsApp for 2 hours with music on, the Lumia will be dead.

So, I do not fully trust my Lumia 920 to get me through the day. Is this my Lumia 920, or does someone have similar experiences?

And, I also read it's not good to keep your phone on the charger all night - but how am I supposed to get a fully charged phone in the morning? I don't wanna turn it off actually. So how is the battery best treated? (my Moto G can maintain his battery overnight if I don't charge it, my Lumia cannot, it will lose like 30%, though, if WhatsApp is not installed, the battery is often close to what the Moto G does).

Does anyone think these problems will be addressed in 8.1?

Some tips, experiences - any response is appreciated!

Last edited:

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
sadly whatsapp will continue to be a battery hog until they split the apps between WP7 and WP8. Right now the music hack is still in WP8 app and it's draining battery.

Adriaan NL

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your responses! Is this issue addressed in WP8.1? There is mention of improved multitasking/ background tasks - but does that also include improved Background agents? Or is WhatsApp the only messenger that chooses to hijack the music API and there are already better options for background agents?

And what about charging overnight?

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your responses! Is this issue addressed in WP8.1? There is mention of improved multitasking/ background tasks - but does that also include improved Background agents? Or is WhatsApp the only messenger that chooses to hijack the music API and there are already better options for background agents?

And what about charging overnight?
as far as i know, this could have worked in wp8, but they have the same app for 7.5 as well, so the music hack is in there for the benefit of 7.5, so based on that I don't know if updating to 8.1 will make a difference. I do think however that whatsapp will need to move further without that hack eventually as 7.5 marketshare is shrinking.

I use a wireless charging plate and keep my phone on it all night, no complaints about battery performance. It lasts a full day (granted you'd want it to last more), but I use whatsapp fairly extensively during the day

Erick Rmz

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I have same battery behavior. Impossible to reach 1.5 days without charging, even with mild use. I love my 920 but its battery is quite poor.
I tried uninstalling whatsapp but without significant improvement. 920 achilles heel is battery, I think. At least it lasts one labor day without charging and few calls, some texting, light browsing and check my forums twice. I hope updating will improve batt consumption in near future.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk

Erick Rmz

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Just an example, right now for checking WP forum for less than an hour, my batt drained by 20%... :(

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk

Adriaan NL

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Hey, so it isn't me! When I browse for a while, like 30-45 mins, I get the same... Sometimes I need to travel for 3/ 3.5 hours, and my Lumia barely survives it when I use it for more than music... So messed up

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't use WhatsApp at all, but my 920's battery made it over 36 hours between chargings for many months. I even once had it go literally two days between chargings. I've been using a T-Mobile 920 since the end of February now, but I find myself missing the 920 due to its awesome battery life and other aspects. I've had my 920 for 10 months now, by the way.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Batteries are fine... Its how you use the phone...

If you hard reset your 920 and leave it alone , you will see how long it will last .

Wp8 still needs some work. Hopefully its addressed in8.1

fahad kazi

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
For almost a year, I've got a L920 and I've been pretty satisfied with the device. It runs smoothly and it's just beautiful.

However, a few weeks ago I bought a Moto G, which works on most levels pretty okay, but I find the battery life outstanding. Much more impressive than the L920, even though the 920 does nothing special. My Moto G has lots of apps running the background (WhatsApp, Line, Skype, Kakaotalk, Instagram), and it runs for like 2-3 days with mild usage and 1,5 days with more usage, all without charging. My Lumia 920 does not come near this: it's dead within one day if I use it (mildly) and do not turn on my battery saver. And my Lumia 920 only runs WhatsApp in the background. I've turned off NFC, GPS, Bluetooth - I've done all the usual things (needless to say, why would you need to turn those features off; just like some battery saving tips include "turn on flight mode" - why would you have a smartphone then lol). With extreme usage, like using WhatsApp for 2 hours with music on, the Lumia will be dead.

So, I do not fully trust my Lumia 920 to get me through the day. Is this my Lumia 920, or does someone have similar experiences?

And, I also read it's not good to keep your phone on the charger all night - but how am I supposed to get a fully charged phone in the morning? I don't wanna turn it off actually. So how is the battery best treated? (my Moto G can maintain his battery overnight if I don't charge it, my Lumia cannot, it will lose like 30%, though, if WhatsApp is not installed, the battery is often close to what the Moto G does).

Does anyone think these problems will be addressed in 8.1?

Some tips, experiences - any response is appreciated!
It is weird because in my experience with my 920 I charge it in the morning 9.30 then I use it but my usage is not heavy. I get whatsapp messages but they are not many a few group messages. Mail, bing sport, facebook, skype, appdeals, battery app running in the background. And still it makes it throughout the day. I do not use it for gaming but when I do then the battery gets low and that is obvious.

But I do charge it in the night and in the morning as it takes 2 hours to charge from 23%-100%.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos