My 920 melted last night :-(

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been using my charger from my 810 on my 925 and on my 920 before it. No issues. I was also using my old charger from my Nokia E73 Mode on the 810 and 920 and had no issues until it stopped charging on my 920 at 99% battery (it's since stopped doing that as I used it once last week and charged my 925 to 100%). Of course, these are all official Nokia chargers I've been using.

NoNoNoYes

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I had a incident like this few days ago, luckily nothing happended. I put it on charge and after two hours went in the room to pick it up and i saw it didnt charged at all. The charger top metal part was really got and a little bit of plastic melted over it (from the cable top case itself). Had to take it off the adapter, put it in the pc and then in the phone it started charging.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Just contact Nokia, it does not supost to happend, no matter what kind of cable.
Usb is universal, if it was dangeres they should have made a other connector and/or should give somekind of warning.
And what about al those aftermarket carkits....same thing.
Its al to easy to blame it on the user.

But you where lucky, it could be a lot worse ........

anyway, i would contact Nokia,
maybe it slips trough or somekind or they have somekind of a fair use policy about these things
Or maybe they split the cost.
Who know's

you got nothing to lose

Adriaan NL

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Do you guys use micro usb cables from previous phones? I do all the time. I use the same charger from my HTC Trophy to charge my Nokia Lumia Icon.

Good question! I do the same with my Moto G - he shares my Lumia cable & charger. I also have a setup in which I use an iPhone (I got an iPod Video lol) charger with the Moto G cable - is that healthy or should I stick with the Nokia setup?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Just contact Nokia, it does not supost to happend, no matter what kind of cable.
Usb is universal, if it was dangeres they should have made a other connector and/or should give somekind of warning.

Actually what is universal is the bus, not necessarily the power standards for AC adapters. Actual 'wall warts' can deliver power above the normal USB standard that PCs, tablets, and laptops support. This is how they enable rapid charging. It is technically part of the newer USB spec, but it can vary on implementation and still be allowed to be called USB.

With that you need to be careful, especially with the way LiPo batteries charge, that you're delivering exactly the power it's asking for.

That's why it's important to determine if this was the original charger designed for the Lumia 920 or if it's a different cable or AC adapter.

Robbie_Jardine

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
It seems as though WPCentral has made references on their news coverage of this that the abel920 was using a QI wireless charger where in fact he doesn't state this at all!!

I'm not sure what I would do if my phone melted or suffered a different fate other than use my crappy Android phone.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I know you have to use official chargers, but how are you supposed to use it if you lose or break the one that came in the box, as you can't really buy one besides eBay and WPCentral store? And what if your phone is low on battery and you don't have your plug, but someone else has a charger for the S4, for example? And if someone has a charger at their office, because they don't want to keep taking their official charger? :-/

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I opened up my phone a long time ago to change the shell though. I don't think they will agree to give me a new one.

See, now I'm wondering if the whole "shell changing" thing that OP did might have had caused some long term problem that led to this. While alot of these customization is possible, the original engineering and construction almost always yield better results.

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I know you have to use official chargers, but how are you supposed to use it if you lose or break the one that came in the box, as you can't really buy one besides eBay and WPCentral store? And what if your phone is low on battery and you don't have your plug, but someone else has a charger for the S4, for example? And if someone has a charger at their office, because they don't want to keep taking their official charger? :-/

the problem is usually not "official vs. unofficial". The key to safe charging is to use quality chargers and not cheap ones you can often get from china or shady retailers. Pay more and get a brand product, one that can provide the same amperage as the original charger (1.3A for the lumias if my memory us correct.)
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk Beta

kb4000

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
See, now I'm wondering if the whole "shell changing" thing that OP did might have had caused some long term problem that led to this. While alot of these customization is possible, the original engineering and construction almost always yield better results.

Swapping shells is theoretically fine. The problem is with electrostatic discharge. A static shock from your body has extremely high voltage. A shock that is literally imperceptible to you could cause permanent damage to your device. It's possible that a component was shocked when the device was opened which eventually caused this problem. Just because it still works when you put it back together doesn't mean you didn't harm it. This is why device manufacturers can't be expected to replace devices that have been opened for ANY reason.

kb4000

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
the problem is usually not "official vs. unofficial". The key to safe charging is to use quality chargers and not cheap ones you can often get from china or shady retailers. Pay more and get a brand product, one that can provide the same amperage as the original charger (1.3A for the lumias if my memory us correct.)
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk Beta

I agree with using quality chargers but using different amped chargers really shouldn't be a problem at all as long as it's all designed correctly and high quality. USB chargers are designed so that the phone only pulls what it needs. For example, plug your Nokia 1.3 amp charger into a dumb phone. Most dumb phones can only handle .5 or .7 amps but nothing explodes. I use a 2.1 amp charger on my phone all of the time and if I were to hook up an ammeter it would show a draw of around 1.3 amps.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
We all know that our 920s overheat when charging. Maybe its the fake housing shell that couldn't hold the temperature?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster