Nokia Martini=Nokia Lumia 930

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully they make at least ONE phone with 4,5" maximum screen size and high-end specs. Well, THAT would be the 920 successor :) because it is 4,5"!

But if they make the 620 from 3,8" to 4,5" , the 920 will have 6,5" ;)

Then the 920 isn't a true successor of the 900 because the screen got bigger? I think you should rethink your logic.

930 screen should get bigger. Smartphones are reflecting more and more their strengths in playing media content. Great media content has much to do with great image quality, which is enemy of small low res screens. World has evolved, 4-4.5" aren't big enough anymore for the kind of content people want to have nowadays on their phones.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Who cares what can be considered a "true" successor and by what metrics that title is earned? Nokia is likely to have their own set of guidelines for what denotes a "true" successor, for which display size may or may not matter.

What should be a no-brainer however, is that WP needs a range of high-end devices, just as it needs a range of low-end devices. In the size class of the L920, WP must have high-, mid- and low-end contenders on offer! Below the size of the L920, space constraints make a high-end device a difficult proposition, so only there would I excuse a high-end device being unavailable.

I personally couldn't care less about video consumption on mobile screens. High quality media deserves to be consumed on a big screen, as it was meant to be. At least 50" and up. I won't cripple high quality media by watching it on a pathetically tiny smartphone or tablet display. For me, screen size is primarily about getting a fast and easy-to-use keyboard. That is all.

I too am looking for a high end device in a package no larger than the L920. Preferably somewhat thinner.

Last edited:

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Let see if there is an unlocked version that is sold in the U.S. market. Nokia should go away from the exclusivity model marketing to specific U.S. carriers.

I love an updated 920 with all the GSM bands inside like that of an iPhone5 and Google Nexus 5.

Sent from my iPod touch using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Let see if there is an unlocked version that is sold in the U.S. market. Nokia should go away from the exclusivity model marketing to specific U.S. carriers.

I don't see that happening this time around; maybe later this year or next spring. And if that happens it will just be because the platform will have grown, and Microsoft will be in a position to put big bucks behind it. I'm guessing it would be for a high-end device with potential for mass appeal (not a niche device like the 1020 or the 1520). And though it might be a "global" phone, the push will be all about the U.S. where Microsoft wants to have a winner in the premium phone segment.

Anyway, it looks like signs are pointing to another retread (albeit a nice one) being announced, with the 930 being a variant of the Icon, and meant to provide an update path for current GSM users (primarily 920 and 925, but in the States it could really be for anyone due to the subsidized pricing model).

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I too am looking for a high end device in a package no larger than the L920. Preferably somewhat thinner.

Me too but the thing is, a device which is the size of a 920 can perfectly have a 5" screen instead of 4.5". It's just a matter or reducing the bezels, which in the 920 are way to big for today's standards.

Anyway, it looks like signs are pointing to another retread (albeit a nice one) being announced, with the 930 being a variant of the Icon, and meant to provide an update path for current GSM users (primarily 920 and 925, but in the States it could really be for anyone due to the subsidized pricing model).

I am aware that rumours are pointing for a LUMIA 930 being a variant of the LUMIA ICON, but I'm having a difficult time believing that. I mean, since when Verizon started receiving the latest and greatest from NOKIA first? That's what I'm finding weird! Both models may have many similarities but I can only imagine the 930 having some new stuff that makes it the best device.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Me too but the thing is, a device which is the size of a 920 can perfectly have a 5" screen instead of 4.5". It's just a matter or reducing the bezels, which in the 920 are way to big for today's standards.

Yeah. Unfortunately we don't have a good way of referencing overall size, except indirectly by mentioning display diagonal, which is completely inadequate. Wish we had something better. I think most of us would tend to agree far more often if we were able to more clearly communicate what we were actually talking about.

I'm also not a fan of huge bezels, but they do help in keeping a polycarbonate frame sturdy. In that area Nokia has a reputation to live up to, so I understand why they exist. Once they start listening to both of us however, and remove those bezels, they are sure to get a ton of complaints from people stating how Nokia devices are no longer as sturdy as they once were. A metal frame is really the only way to go if you don't want the bezels, but Nokia doesn't seem to be going in that direction. I hope that changes. At least for the high end devices, a full metal jacket is required these days.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yep. The Icon is only a smidge larger than the 920, and it sports a 5" screen. I imagine a new design, utilizing on-screen rather than capacitive buttons could easily squeeze a 5" screen into something the size of the 920 (or even a bit smaller).

I am aware that rumours are pointing for a LUMIA 930 being a variant of the LUMIA ICON, but I'm having a difficult time believing that. I mean, since when Verizon started receiving the latest and greatest from NOKIA first? That's what I'm finding weird! Both models may have many similarities but I can only imagine the 930 having some new stuff that makes it the best device.
I hope so, but it would be surprising if we were this close to the event and haven't heard anything. Think about all of the leaks leading up to previous devices. Could they have really kept a substantially upgraded or new design so tightly guarded?

As for Verizon getting the Icon first, I think that's because Nokia held back an AT&T variant so they could make a few final tweaks and launch it with WP8.1. The 929/Icon had been rumored for release several times over the last few months but never turned up. I wonder if it didn't just make more sense to save it for their "premier partner AT&T" until now. With BUILD coming up next week, WP8.1 coming soon, and the MS-Nokia deal supposedly closing next month I wouldn't be surprised if they were focused on just making the current design and the integration with 8.1 as finely tuned as possible. I'm very eager to see if MS-Nokia can pull off something big for the holiday season; which, incidentally is right about when my 920 contract will be up :)

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
If this really is an Icon with a more 920ish look (bright colors, polycarb, etc.), I wonder what colors it will come in? Personally I hope for the orange from the 630 pictures. Of course I say that now, but I would probably get a black one when it came down to it.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone 8.1 has virtual navigation keys, so some amount of space can also be utilized by removing the capacitive keys, thus making the overall size 5.2 inch, but only by fraction, larger than Lumia 920.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Hoping for a trademark Lumia design with colorful polycarbonate and that European flair. The Icon is hideous, but I guess it caters to many Americans' respective tastes. Definitely follows Verizon's awful design language.

I'm guessing the display will be no smaller than 5", but that'll put it at exactly the same size as the Lumia 920 (the 920, despite its smaller display, is exactly the same size as the Icon). I'd love for a 5.2" or 5.3" display though.

Juan Pablo Ursic

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Hope when you all say polycarbonate you mean with matte finish and not that awful glossy like 920, mine is all scratchy, reassembles the back of a Samsung phone, really cheap and the "plastification" it's starting to wear off, like it's falling apart and i used with a case and only have it for about 8 months.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Hope when you all say polycarbonate you mean with matte finish and not that awful glossy like 920, mine is all scratchy, reassembles the back of a Samsung phone, really cheap and the "plastification" it's starting to wear off, like it's falling apart and i used with a case and only have it for about 8 months.

I personally don't mind either, but like you, I'd prefer a matte finish. Would love to see orange added to the flagship colorwheel. We've only seen shades of orange and green with mid and low range models.

I got a yellow 920 at launch and have dropped it a few times, but it still looks great. The difference in quality Nokia brings really starts to show up the older the phone gets... especially with the polymer penetrating the breadth of the shell, scratches and scuffs are hardly noticeable. I bet my 920 will look better 5 years down the road than most non-Nokias that are only 1 or 2 years old.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I think, this time Nokia should have a different design. Should use Aluminum with Sapphire glass to give it a premium look at feel. I am not saying polycarbonate is bad. But for a change I want something new.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
With grain of salt in hand, read on Twitter (LumiaLeaks) that the 930 will have at least a 5" display and that April 25 could be the release date.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Why "grain of salt"? 5 inch screen isnt bad. It all depends on the mass of the surrounding case

I just mean because the source isn't necessarily known yet. Also I was referring more to the release date. But I agree, I'd hope it's at least 5". I wouldn't mind 5.2" or 5.3" at all in fact. To your point about the casing, I put my Lumia 920 side by side and then right on top of the Icon... one sports a 4.5" display and the other 5", but they looked to be the exact same size.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise