Connecting to my Surface Pro Using Bluetooth

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
How do I connect my Icon to my Surface Pro? I've paired them, but when I connect, it says connected then it immediately says disconnected. I would like to transfer photos and such to my Surface using Bluetooth.

Thanks.

anon2843418

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Update: I have figured out how to send files to my Surface Pro. But I have to do it manually; meaning I have to tell the Surface to accept a file transfer. How do I do it automatically?

Thanks.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Update: I have figured out how to send files to my Surface Pro. But I have to do it manually; meaning I have to tell the Surface to accept a file transfer. How do I do it automatically? Thanks.

The easiest way is to use Onedrive. If you are running 8.1 on your SP, onedrive files are already synced to your desktop. Its a longer route, but a cleaner, simpler solution.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Thx. Yes, that works, and works well. But we're talking about 20MB DNG files. That can eat up data real quick if I'm not in a WiFi hotspot. Uploading via Bluetooth bypasses that problem and allows me to work on them on my Surface.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here any resolution?

Not really. Nothing but work arounds and nothing automatic. You have to open a command prompt window and type fsquirt, then select receive file. The downside is that you can only send one file at a time. Another option is to zip several files using Pocket File Manager and send the zip file via Bluetooth. The problem is that the connection speed is really slow. I've gotten suggestions of setting up my Surface as a WiFi hotspot and connecting that way, but again, a work arounds and cumbersome. This is something that I don't think MSFT thought about very seriously. Until MSFT works out how the different MSFT powered devices integrate with each other we're kind of stuck. This is where Apple's lead is SO huge. Since they are historically a devices and services company they've worked a lot of these problems out. MSFT is still new at the hardware aspect of things and has some catching up to do with regards to different devices working together.

As for me. I'm going to use the tried and true USB method until MSFT figures out how to connect efficiently and easily connect via wireless.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
What's hilarious is that OneDrive will upload a 1.89G video from my Icon, but it refuses to upload 20MB DNGs automatically. sheesh.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
MS is not the issue, BT is not a proper file transfer method because it is slow.
It is possible to have BT use wifi to do the actual transfer, but this is a different layer, and I don't really think anyone tries to implement it.

Your other alternative is, Bittorrent Synch.
But at this time it doesn't support HD Pictures and video, but that is coming.

If you are close enough to transfer via BT, what is the issue with not using USB?
That is the preferred method anyway.

Also note, that DNG files are a Nokia thing, not implemented by MS.
The issue is really Nokia not uploading the DNG's due the size of the files.
Some people's Cell data service are heavily capped, or they have low data plans and going over is expensive
That is another reason.

Also, most people don't use RAW cause they won't ever post process pictures
so really, DNG is a hobbyist setting that Nokia threw in that the large majority of people won't use, ever.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
It's primarily to be able to transfer files between my Icon and my Surface without needing to worry about carrying a USB cable around with me. Yes, a USB cable is not large or heavy, but it is inconvenient to use at times. Now, if I could connect directly via WiFi without having any special software, then problem solved. The interesting thing is that I can use my phone as a WiFi hotspot, but not able to transfer files over that same WiFi connection.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
That is correct, because that is a security hole to your phone.
Phones are not as well guarded against intrusion when they are left wide open, which is why it is a bad idea to jailbreak an Android.
Windows Phones are the most secure phones due to the fact no apps can converse with another or directly with the OS

If this were to be allowed, you would need to worry about firewalls, antivirus, malware like any other OS.
Also why only certain areas (Pictures, and Music) are allowed to be accessed.
File Managers, like BitTorrent Sync, may get access to other areas, but probably not.
Pocket File Manager and others like it, only have access to the space they are allowed to work in for docs and other things
But have access to Pictures and Music (Some Files managers have access to music, some don't)

IF, MS decides to allow, cross app authentication, that could change, but you run into similar risks.
Not everyone is diligent in vetting the apps they install.
But, MS is very thorough about apps they allow in the store and check for things like acting like a virus, malware or hack,
They do vet the apps in the store very well.
This is a good thing and a layer that could potentially allow Cross App Authentication
Basically, "Do you want to allow App A to converse or access App B's data and/or vice versa?" with some kind of code to acknowledge the authentication and access process
This way it can't be said that you didn't allow it. Similar to, but more robust and more demanding on allowance than UAC.

Again, at this time, your best method for file transfer of these large RAW files will be, USB Only.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
@Tepid, Thanks for the break down on how security works on WP. I understand a lot better why MSFT designed it that way. And now I understand why Eye-Fi is not wanting to build an app for WP. Eye-Fi requires access to the phones file system as well as WiFi to automatically download photos and video from a Eye-Fi equipped camera to a smartphone or a Windows or Mac PC.

So until MSFT figures out how to do this without compromising security I'm using USB. :/

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
yeah, I doubt any app will ever get access to the OS itself, and I agree with that decision.
That would essentially be jail breaking the phone, bad idea.

However, there is zero reason any app would need access to the file system to do that.
If they are demanding that kind of access, what real reason is there.
The only reason I can think of is to install their own drivers or something. This shouldn't be needed as far as I know
If GoPro can do it, then so can they.
I would be wary of them, that they have no clue what they are doing.

GoPro | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Michael Thresher

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Finally got bluetooth to work between my Galaxy S and the Surface Pro 3:

One time set-up:
1. Press the "settings" Charm - Change PC settings - PC and devices - bluetooth. From there you pair the phone and the computer.
2. Tap the back arrow and tap Control Panel - Device Manager - Bluetooth - double click Marvel AVASTAR - power management - uncheck the box, "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
3. The bluetooth icon should now be in the task bar of the desktop view and active. You might have to tap the little white arrow to see it. Use the "customize" button to place the icon permanently on the taskbar.

That's it. To get a photo off your phone, click the bluetooth icon on the task bar and tap "receive a file". Then view the picture on the phone and send via bluetooth to the computer. The Surface screen will change to "receiving".

Now the reason behind doing this is because the camera in the Surface Pro 3 will not take close-up photos, like a check or a letter. (Total MS brain fart.) But my Galaxy S takes great closeup photos. With bluetooth, I can quickly get a photo into the Surface Pro 3's pictures folder.

bartclan

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Tepid - thanks for the answer, but I'm curious. I use Here+ Maps to find locations, but when I ask it to navigate, it offers me the opportunity to use either Here+ Driving, Waze or VZW Navigator. Since Waze is my primary GPS app, I select Waze and next up comes the address in Waze. Is this a use of cross app information sharing, or am I mistaken?

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I stopped using Waze due to being owned by Google now.
But, yes, IF, it carries over the address information on it's own.
If you have to type the address again into Waze, then it is not sharing.

The choice is based on the apps you have installed that provide similar function.
They fall under that same category, so it is giving you the choice to use the app you want at that time.

Same as if you have 2 PDF readers, it may ask which app to use to open the PDF you want to read.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Btw. I managed to connect rather easily using PFM using Bluetooth. However, it takes foooooorrrrrrreeeeeeevvvvveeeeeerrrrrrr for one file to transfer. Let alone for several. You don't even have to use fsquirt. Just right click the Bluetooth icon in your notifications window (right side of task bar) and select receive files, choose wear you want to save the file click ok and then select the files using PFM click share and the select send via Bluetooth to your Surface.

It just takes a while... wasting battery. Bluetooth was not designed to handle large amounts of data.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros