925 and 8.1

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Wow, that's a brave statement...

I'm only guessing here, but I would say, hopefully the 925 will get the update. I think it will depend on the version of the device that you have. In the US, I bet AT&T will run it out (although with the short life span of the 925 for them, I would question it?) and T-Mobile is already liquidating the 925's for as low as $200 on sites like HSN and Newegg. This is exactly what happened before the 810 was EOL'd and dropped from update support.

T-Mobile has a bit of a pattern of not issuing updates post EOL'ing devices. I won't hold my breath on it, but it would be nice to see it.

JimWPan

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
For 200, it is still a good buy. This is my first Windows phone and I will unlock it and get the updates myself. Microsoft said all WIndows 8 phone can upgrade to 8.1, I will get it from Nokia instead of T-Mobile.
Andriod is the same, my co-worked has 2 1/2 years old Verizon phone and it is not even on the 4.2 version.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
But as i have heared from some others. Its going to miss some key features which are only made for quadcore phones.

Number of cores is unlikely to be a feature barrier.
I dont think there is any feature that is "key" (or at all) requiring four cores at this time.

the 925 is very capable, i doubt it will miss much if anything from the 8.1 update.

JimWPan

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
With my little knowledge on unlock phone, I was wrong that updates will still need to come from the carrier (T-Mobile). What options do I have IF T-Mobile decide not to support 925? Using the developer preview program to update? Will the preview program available after few weeks of release? (For example, I waited for T-Mobile news and 4 weeks later they announce no updates for 925. If I down the developer preview will 8.1 still there for me?)
I need to have VPN, or else I will just sell the phone and look for something else.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
With my little knowledge on unlock phone, I was wrong that updates will still need to come from the carrier (T-Mobile). What options do I have IF T-Mobile decide not to support 925? Using the developer preview program to update? Will the preview program available after few weeks of release? (For example, I waited for T-Mobile news and 4 weeks later they announce no updates for 925. If I down the developer preview will 8.1 still there for me?)
I need to have VPN, or else I will just sell the phone and look for something else.

Default: T-Mobile runs the update rollout. If they decide not to push 8.1, then oh well, the average joe won't get it.

Developer Preview: Microsoft runs the show for its software. (NOT Nokia-specific firmware like Black or Amber)
Even if T-Mo drops the 925 like a hot potato, the Preview program should still push 8.1. The Preview should be accessible always. It still is available long after pushing Update 3.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

I'm only guessing here, but I would say, hopefully the 925 will get the update. I think it will depend on the version of the device that you have. In the US, I bet AT&T will run it out (although with the short life span of the 925 for them, I would question it?) and T-Mobile is already liquidating the 925's for as low as $200 on sites like HSN and Newegg. This is exactly what happened before the 810 was EOL'd and dropped from update support.

T-Mobile has a bit of a pattern of not issuing updates post EOL'ing devices. I won't hold my breath on it, but it would be nice to see it.

One good thing about the 925 is since its a global variant, it can be flashed to get the latest firmware if T-Mobile bails out (at the expense of losing the AWS bands) unlike the 810 being stuck and relying solely on the developer progranm to get OS updates

JimWPan

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
That's a relief, so the 8.1 is just OS updates not like the black. I just need couple thing from the 8.1. I am happy with the new 925, I missed few stuff on my old android (Nexus) but they're not critical. No learning curve, took me a day to get use to it. Not bad at all, not that exciting but just worked.

Richard Feinburg

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
925 will be update to 8.1. Its not going to happen like with the 710 and no update to 8.0. The only thing is that I think will be a popular phone on T-Mobile just for the price point like what happen with 520.

I'm getting the 925 because I can't drop $550 for the 930 and I can hold off until that drop to 250 in 9 months from now. I'm only problem with 925 is the no microds.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Default: T-Mobile runs the update rollout. If they decide not to push 8.1, then oh well, the average joe won't get it.

Developer Preview: Microsoft runs the show for its software. (NOT Nokia-specific firmware like Black or Amber)
Even if T-Mo drops the 925 like a hot potato, the Preview program should still push 8.1. The Preview should be accessible always. It still is available long after pushing Update 3.

Here is my question to that one... Is the Dev Preview confirmed for 8.1 yet? As far as I know, it has not been confirmed.

That said, if it is available, how much software and functionality will it cost to use it? After flashing the Dev Preview for GDR3 - pre Black, Nokia Play To stopped working... Nokia Cam was on the fritz... And storage check & data sense were also totally buggy.

I know 8.1 is going to have some major upgrades, but chances are that those that need those features would be better off selling their 925 for $150 and grabbing the next big thing on T-Mobile.

Again, I really do hope that they roll it out, but I love the functionality of my 925 right now and don't feel the need to upgrade to anything new at the moment. 8.1 coming out won't change how well what I have now works.

I would easily grab 2 more of these at $200 before buying an 8.1 "upgrade" device. Of course, I still love my original Titan also... The Surround, not so much, but that Titan is still gorgeous!

PS - if you grab it at HSN, register and get the 15% off coupon. That brings it down to $169.95!

JimWPan

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I tried that 15% for the first time user, and it didnot work at all. This is my first windows phone and I am fear that 8.1 may not come to the 925. Searching the web and find something like Nokia Software Updater for Retail. Is that legit and can I use it to upgrade to 8.1 if T-Mobile decide to ditch 925? I need VPN function for sure.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site

WP should have support for 36 months. 925 was released less then a year ago, it can't just die. They just started advertising it in Slovenia around new years.
While 1520 is faster with it's quad core, it's also the only one (beside Icon), all other Lumias run dual cores. I don't know how t-mobile came on topic, 925 is a worldwide phone with 100+ carriers offering it.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
WP should have support for 36 months. 925 was released less then a year ago, it can't just die. They just started advertising it in Slovenia around new years.
While 1520 is faster with it's quad core, it's also the only one (beside Icon), all other Lumias run dual cores. I don't know how t-mobile came on topic, 925 is a worldwide phone with 100+ carriers offering it.

Because it's one of T-Mobile's US' current Windows Phone offerings...

heywhitmarsh

May 4, 2012
Visit site
One good thing about the 925 is since its a global variant, it can be flashed to get the latest firmware if T-Mobile bails out (at the expense of losing the AWS bands) unlike the 810 being stuck and relying solely on the developer progranm to get OS updates

I'm using an unbranded ROM that works perfectly with T-Mobile's network (AWS and LTE included) . It is an unbranded Latin American ROM for this device: 059T883 RM-893 VAR LTA MV WHITE
I got the Black update within a day or two of it getting released for the 925.

Edit: clarity

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I think "should" and "will" are two very different things as far as Windows Phone goes... I think we will be very lucky if Windows Phone is still around in 3 years. The lines are drawn in the sand already and there are only a few major players. In February of last year, 91% of the worldwide smartphone market was made up of iOS and Android. In Q4 last year, Windows Phone sold 8.8 million units compared to 226.1 million Android devices and 51 million iPhones. To put this in perspective, since 2011, Windows Phone has sold an estimated 61.2 million devices compared to 1.5 billion Android devices.

Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE WP... But if they can't start mounting some sort of comeback, I would think that Microsoft will abandon the mobile OS and work more on features that make your iPhone's and Galaxy S7's work better with a new Windows PC. If they can't build that momentum, they will be better as a services company than a hardware company. I think the true measure of the future of Microsoft's mobile division will be how well the Nokia X phones sell around the world. If those take off, I wouldn't be surprised to see MS start releasing more forked Android devices before much longer.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I think "should" and "will" are two very different things as far as Windows Phone goes... I think we will be very lucky if Windows Phone is still around in 3 years. The lines are drawn in the sand already and there are only a few major players. In February of last year, 91% of the worldwide smartphone market was made up of iOS and Android. In Q4 last year, Windows Phone sold 8.8 million units compared to 226.1 million Android devices and 51 million iPhones. To put this in perspective, since 2011, Windows Phone has sold an estimated 61.2 million devices compared to 1.5 billion Android devices.

Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE WP... But if they can't start mounting some sort of comeback, I would think that Microsoft will abandon the mobile OS and work more on features that make your iPhone's and Galaxy S7's work better with a new Windows PC. If they can't build that momentum, they will be better as a services company than a hardware company. I think the true measure of the future of Microsoft's mobile division will be how well the Nokia X phones sell around the world. If those take off, I wouldn't be surprised to see MS start releasing more forked Android devices before much longer.

Could happen.

Aren't iOS and perhaps Android leveling off somewhat?
Then again the APPL (NASDAQ) stock hitting 544 per the other day points at something.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss