Screen susceptible to scratches

ajansari

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I've owned the Icon for a little over two weeks now, and it hasn't suffered any falls except for one inside my car on the carpeted floor. Still, I notice a couple new scratches on the screen every day. I wear jeans most of the time and frequently put my phone in my back pocket when I'm standing up / walking. But that's nothing different than what I've done with any other phone I've owned.

There are no major scratches, but lots of little scratches and nicks which are easy to see when the screen is turned off. The back of the phone (white Lumia Icon) appears resistant to any scratches, or the white matte surface does a fantastic job of hiding the scratches.

Has anyone else noticed this, and does it bother you as much as it bothers me?

I haven't bought a screen protector for a phone in over 3 years (the last time was when I owned an HTC Evo 4G), but I think I'm going to pick up some protectors tomorrow.

-AJ

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry this happened to you. This is why no matter what kind of glass the screen is made of, I always put a protector on it. Unfortunately, there is no glass yet conceived by man that cannot be scratched. Sometimes those scratches are surprisingly easy to get, and sometimes you're surprised at just how tough the screen is, but I don't take the chance.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. Had my mine for about a month and put it in my side jean pocket all the time. No scratches. Is there any metal buttons on your back pocket or any metal at all?

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I think the parabolic nature - while it looks amazing, makes it a little more susceptible to scratches than my previous phones - I have hairline scratches all over my screen (my own fault - my 1 year old got a hold of it, and pushed it along the floor screen down). I haven't put a screen protector on a phone in 4 years, and have had no issues with scratching until now - this may or may not be because it was dragged on the floor, but, just saying, I never got scratches before, and ive surely dropped my other phones before. Im debating on the day I throw it on the ground, and crack the screen and pay the 40$ for insurance @ MS store.........Im guessing ill just wait till the next version comes out, get a brand spanking new phone to sell so I can upgrade on the cheap

Slater_GS

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. Had my mine for about a month and put it in my side jean pocket all the time. No scratches. Is there any metal buttons on your back pocket or any metal at all?

Same.
I have had mine since launch with no scratches and I have two metal buttons on the screen side of my jean pocket.
My 2 year old has also gotten a hold of mine a few times and dropped it on our tile, wood floor, and kicked it all over the carpet and it looks brand new.
My 822 was with me for a year and a half and it never saw this much abuse in its lifetime! 2 year olds just get into everything lol
I don't have screen protector or case either.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine about three weeks now with no screen protector and luckily no scratches yet. But I always put it in loose fitting pockets with nothing in there except the phone. I do use a case though.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I think the parabolic nature - while it looks amazing, makes it a little more susceptible to scratches than my previous phones - I have hairline scratches all over my screen (my own fault - my 1 year old got a hold of it, and pushed it along the floor screen down). I haven't put a screen protector on a phone in 4 years, and have had no issues with scratching until now - this may or may not be because it was dragged on the floor, but, just saying, I never got scratches before, and ive surely dropped my other phones before. Im debating on the day I throw it on the ground, and crack the screen and pay the 40$ for insurance @ MS store.........Im guessing ill just wait till the next version comes out, get a brand spanking new phone to sell so I can upgrade on the cheap

There's a legal term for this.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I just found a couple of small scratches on my screen that I think happened over the weekend. I'm a little disappointed, but you can't see them when the screen is on, so it doesn't bother me too much. There's another thread on here where people said that it's not actually the screen that's scratched, but a special coating over the screen, and it's possible that these scratches are repairable. I'm not sure I care enough to try it out, but it may be worth it to you!

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I just found a couple of small scratches on my screen that I think happened over the weekend. I'm a little disappointed, but you can't see them when the screen is on, so it doesn't bother me too much. There's another thread on here where people said that it's not actually the screen that's scratched, but a special coating over the screen, and it's possible that these scratches are repairable. I'm not sure I care enough to try it out, but it may be worth it to you!

I tried both the toothpaste, and the Oleophobic coating - neither of which did anything to the scratches. Ive heard mixed feelings on using ultra fine car wax / compound to get scratches out, but im not going to do it, read more "don't do it" than "do it" threads all over the place.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I tried both the toothpaste, and the Oleophobic coating - neither of which did anything to the scratches. Ive heard mixed feelings on using ultra fine car wax / compound to get scratches out, but im not going to do it, read more "don't do it" than "do it" threads all over the place.

I've heard that oleophobic coating is the only solution for micro scratches on the coat. I've also heard to avoid toothpaste.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
There's a legal term for this.

1. It's $50 with Microsoft's insurance (I've used it when I broke my screen - search for the thread about the snake attacking me).
2. As Indistinguishable said, there is a legal term for this. I worked for an insurance company for several years, in extended warranties for both homes and electronics. I have reported insurance agents for attempting to defraud the company. I would do no less for you were I to see it posted here.

ajansari

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Thank you everyone for all the feedback. I have some metal buttons on the sides of my pockets but the phone never comes in contact with it. Yesterday after work, I stopped by a Verizon store and picked up their official screen protectors for the Icon. A pack of 3 for about $13.

It has guides and a front / back layer that are removed in steps, making it fairly easy to apply (dry application), even for someone like me who's not very good at it. I wouldn't try the scratch test a la Zagg InvisibleShield, but it looks strong enough to protect against the kind of scratches I was getting on the screen.

Should've done it sooner.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The ones Verizon sells are pretty good. They'll scratch, but it takes a lot to do it, in my experience. With my 928 having curved glass, it stuck up on the sides, though, and believe it or not, I found some cheaper on Amazon that are cut to accommodate the curve, that are made of pretty much the same thing. You really don't have to spend a lot to get good protection. :wink:

ajansari

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Hopmedic, you're spot on with the protector sticking up a little around the sides. I can see how this could cause it to peel over time. I guess that's when the second and third protectors come in handy. And thanks for the laugh. :)

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I'll just say this, my Galaxy Note 3 Fell from 4' into hand scraped like tile and slide glass down for like 3', not a single scratch.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Hopmedic, you're spot on with the protector sticking up a little around the sides. I can see how this could cause it to peel over time. I guess that's when the second and third protectors come in handy. And thanks for the laugh. :)

Here's the seller that I bought mine from:
LowerPriceUSA @ Amazon.com
For my 928, the sides are curved inward so that they don't curl up. I don't see a listing for the Icon, but it couldn't hurt to ask them - maybe they can get it for you.

01mggt

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I have no scratches yet and never had any scratching on any of my other phones accept a 928. It was a scratch magnet as well

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans