925 a little wet

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
that wasn't very long...
sounds like its dead, although id give it more time in the rice to be sure. in case its middle name is Lazarus.

Nokia will charge for a "repair."
Likely will be the cost for a refurbished unit.

I'd pick up a 520/1 as an intermediary. Not as glamorous, but it works.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear this, especially as I know your 925 was new. :cry: I would agree with xandros9 about picking up a 521 to use if you can't afford repairing or replacing the 925. It's not premium, of course, but it'll still give you the WP experience and is a great phone.

mjaiteh

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I think the water already did its damage with the blinking windows button. I plugged it into my computer to see if I could see any of my files, and on Windows nothing came up.When I booted up with Linux I could see the drive of my phone mounted, but whenever I click on it to view its contents the application crashes...weird. I have most of my stuff backed up, so I'm not too worried. I've saved my old ipod and my cousins Iphone with the rice trick within a few hours, but I doubt mine will work for any extra time in rice. It's been in there for 24 hours, all the water must be gone. I even had pieces of rice in my sim slot. I'm a college student, and I paid for my phone with bill me later to have some time to pay it off. I have some extra money saved up that was supposed to go towards something else, but I just used it to pay off the rest of the balance for the phone. I could use bill me later to purchase another one, but I'd like to see what Nokia can do for me. Thanks for the advice anyways, I tried.

mjaiteh

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Nokia does NOT repair or replace devices that are no longer under warranty(liquid damage voids warranty obviously).... They referred me to third party Palco Repair Center which has an estimated repair price at $89. Microsoft live chat assistants have very poor grammar. A lot worse than mine if you thought mine was bad.....

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
How long did you leave it plugged in? Doesn't the flashing Windows button on the 925 mean that the battery is charging, but it's not yet charged enough to boot the system? Maybe try leaving it plugged in a little longer.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
how do people have rice readily available for this? I've always put my mobile devices in the freezer for 5 hours and then let it rest for 24 hours before powering it back on

mjaiteh

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
How long did you leave it plugged in? Doesn't the flashing Windows button on the 925 mean that the battery is charging, but it's not yet charged enough to boot the system? Maybe try leaving it plugged in a little longer.

About an hour before I gave up. Sorry, if I wasn't clear, but it was more of a rapid blinking than the regular flashing. Something is clearly wrong with the device.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
About an hour before I gave up. Sorry, if I wasn't clear, but it was more of a rapid blinking than the regular flashing. Something is clearly wrong with the device.

Ah, I see. Sounds like you're definitely SOL. :/

$89 for a repair is pretty reasonable though! Good luck!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
how do people have rice readily available for this? I've always put my mobile devices in the freezer for 5 hours and then let it rest for 24 hours before powering it back on

uncooked rice!
its not exactly rare in many households.

I won't comment on the freezer thing.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
uncooked rice!
its not exactly rare in many households.

I won't comment on the freezer thing.

You won't, I will. How does the freezer thing work? I am very curious now.

Anyway... Rice does tend to be common enough, but I guess not all people eat it on a regular basis. If you lack the money, a 521 is a damn nifty device for the price. Nothing out of the world awesome, but still competent enough to get you through the day.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
How long did you leave it in the rice?

Should have been at least 24 hours if it was fully submerged in water.

On the bright side, at least you have dinner now.

mjaiteh

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
You won't, I will. How does the freezer thing work? I am very curious now.

Anyway... Rice does tend to be common enough, but I guess not all people eat it on a regular basis. If you lack the money, a 521 is a damn nifty device for the price. Nothing out of the world awesome, but still competent enough to get you through the day.

I got my mom a 521, and gave my dad my 810. There is almost no way I can go back down to any one of those. The 925 was such an upgrade, if I can't get it fixed, or for a good price then I guess ill have to, but that is the last resort.

mjaiteh

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Should I try and repair the phone by a third party, or should I buy a new phone? I'm skeptical about a repair because I feel like the water can cause future complications down the line, and the phone will have very little resale value because of the indicator. I also don't want to spend as much money this time around(can we please leave the 521 out of this conversation for now). Where can I buy the cheapest brand new Lumia 925 right now?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I got my mom a 521, and gave my dad my 810. There is almost no way I can go back down to any one of those. The 925 was such an upgrade, if I can't get it fixed, or for a good price then I guess ill have to, but that is the last resort.

Any chance you'd risk the teardown on the iFixit website.
Looks somewhat simple on there.

I believe the teardown on the site is for the 920.
I know I'd try it shaky hands and all.

I feel for ya kiddo.
Hope there's a low cost resolution for you.

mjaiteh

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Any chance you'd risk the teardown on the iFixit website.
Looks somewhat simple on there.

I believe the teardown on the site is for the 920.
I know I'd try it shaky hands and all.

I feel for ya kiddo.
Hope there's a low cost resolution for you.

No way.Not even a chance i'd play around with this thing. Anyone know how much money I can get for a two week old cosmetically flawless liquid damaged phone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss