925 a little wet

mjaiteh

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Long story short....
I fell asleep with my 925 in my pocket. I woke up late for class, ran into the bathroom, and left my shorts(925 in them) as well as my towel on the sink. Rushing out the bathroom I snatched my towel up off the sink....and to my surprise my 925 flew three feet into the air and landed cash money into the toilet. I'm guessing it fell out of my shorts and onto the towel.....I got it out in less than two seconds and I don't know how much damage it has sustained. Took the sim card out, and I think the indicator was pink, but i'm not entirely sure. Got it into a bowl of rice with a nice lamp over it. Any suggestions at all, How long should I wait, or if the lamp is unnecessary or damaging?

I'll update the status of the phone to serve as a guide for others who have the same issue if I do get it to work, or what not to do if I don't get it to work.

Attachments

• WIN_20140317_103831.JPG
    WIN_20140317_103831.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 14

Westoncreg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
You don't need the lamp the rice will do the job just leave it in there for at least 12-24 hours to make sure its completely dry

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The lamp definitely won't hurt. It'll speed things along a bit. Hopefully that and the rice combined will get you going fast, and hopefully there's no permanent damage.

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
The damage occurs when it's powered on and shorts things out. I've no problem with non-removable batteries, but this is one case where you would really want one :-/ Keep us posted, these Nokia are durable, but electronics are electronics, and they don't like water, even a little bit :(

mjaiteh

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks ! I believe the battery was dead, so I'm not sure how that'll affect the situation. I'll probably turn it on late tonight, or tomorrow morning.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
fingers-crossed.jpg

Fingers crossed!

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
It could be ok. I dropped my L820 in toilet in summer and I took the battery out immediately. Than I thought it might even work without drying. Well in short i was wrong so I took battery out again and put phone on sun and went to buy some rice. I left phone there for about 15-20 h, took phone out and turned it in. And it worked, it is still working :D. So good luck.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't use the lamp. It could potentially put out a significant amount of heat, potentially warping material or otherwise damaging something. Not saying it will, but it could.

Just leave it in the rice for a day or two, keep your fingers crossed, and maybe use a backup phone if you need in the meantime.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
It happened to a friend of mine and what he did was run it under water that had boiled a while before hand to make tea and then taped it to the drum on his washing machine and put it on a spin. He did also put it in rice, it was funny because he rang me to ask what rice he should use :eek:rly:

mjaiteh

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Reaching the 12-hour mark now should I wait a little longer or wait until tomorrow? It's dead and I'd rather charge it in one spot until the battery is full. If I wake up tomorrow morning it's going to be running around with me on my morning commute before /if it gets charged....Suggestions?

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Reaching the 12-hour mark now should I wait a little longer or wait until tomorrow? It's dead and I'd rather charge it in one spot until the battery is full. If I wake up tomorrow morning it's going to be running around with me on my morning commute before /if it gets charged....Suggestions?

I'd leave it as long as possible if I was you. Can you leave it till you get home from work?

mjaiteh

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a backup phone with me so I haven't communicated with anyone all day today, another day would be very bad, but I guess if my phone doesn't actually work it could be longer than another day.....

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a backup phone with me so I haven't communicated with anyone all day today, another day would be very bad, but I guess if my phone doesn't actually work it could be longer than another day.....

depending on the carrier, you could try snagging a backup 52x or (borrowing a) dumb phone

mjaiteh

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Not working. Plugged into the charger, and the windows button starts blinking very fast, and I get nothing. Will Nokia allow me to pay the difference for a new phone, or a repair, or do I have to buy an entirely new device?

distilledoreo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
What I did with my phone when it was submerged in water was put it in a ziploc bag with a lot of silica gel packets. It fixed it in a couple of hours. You could order them online, or find them in vitamin bottles and things like that.

WinU

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Put it back in the rice and let it sit even longer! See if anyone you know has a back up phone that they can lent you or pick one up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte