How Future Proof is The Lumia 920?

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
It's going to get 8.1, so it should last a phone's lifetime. And in some respects, it's still the best phone available. Nokia has a problem with feature loss on new phones, so if you want a phone with wireless charging on AT&T, it's the only one to get besides the 1020 with an awkward snap-on thing. If you are on Verizon, the Icon is almost a complete upgrade from the Lumia 920, except it doesn't have glance, a feature that in actual daily use is a lot more important than the sharper screen and the faster processor. If you have giant pockets and don't live in the US then the 1520 is the phone that actually beats the 920 at everything besides compactness. The 925 and 1020 have checkered, less sharp PenTile screens while the 920 has the full 768p resolution. So while Nokia keeps introducing cool new improvements like 41 and 20 MP cameras and faster processors, all the other newer models keep leaving out important features from the 920. As a 920 owner in the US, there's nothing available or announced that I'd consider to be an upgrade.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
When I got my 820 I gave alot of thought as to what would work best for me. I bought a SDHC UHS-1 64gb SD card (fastest they made) because of the promise of app storage on the SD card. I know videos,movies, music, photos, and maps all work great off of this card so I figure apps will also. I also got the 820 over the 920 because of the removeable battery, and the wireless charging multicolor back covers you could get, and the much smaller size (I like a small phone) even though the screen is not much smaller than the 920. Plus the screen is beautiful. Don't plan on updating for awhile, and from what else is available now, no reason too. I think we 820 owners got the best deal of any Nokia phones. The 8.1 update will just make it even better.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
When I got my 820 I gave alot of thought as to what would work best for me. I bought a SDHC UHS-1 64gb SD card (fastest they made) because of the promise of app storage on the SD card. I know videos,movies, music, photos, and maps all work great off of this card so I figure apps will also. I also got the 820 over the 920 because of the removeable battery, and the wireless charging multicolor back covers you could get, and the much smaller size (I like a small phone) even though the screen is not much smaller than the 920. Plus the screen is beautiful. Don't plan on updating for awhile, and from what else is available now, no reason too. I think we 820 owners got the best deal of any Nokia phones. The 8.1 update will just make it even better.

But if u play any HD game the phone heats a lot.for example even if u play nova 3 for 10 minutes our lumia 820 become very hot.so no use of any install on sd card.hmm

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I typically start looking for an upgrade after 2 years, but I feel that the 920 might stick around longer for me if it just works that long, partially cos I'll be in the transition between university and starting work life again and I will likely have another kid by that, so it will be a matter of budget too :D Overall I feel the 920 is very solid even looking into the future. As someone said, the 920 has good specs on WP front and on WP front it isnt much of a spec race cos the OS works well even on low end hardware. I feel what it has now is enough for a long time to come.

Buuuut I'm sure that when we get a few more generations of flagships I will start wanting a new one :D But I really love just about everything in my 920. Although my USB port is getting messed up somehow, I have hard time plugging the USB cable in and even slight movement might just nudge the cable off enough to not charge it for example. This is nasty if the cable detaches over night while I charge and might find it only charged for like 10 mins and have a near dead battery in the morning :D

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
the Lumia 920 is future proof as long as more developers get on board. With owning a Android device since October this is the only area that Windows Phone suffers. I used to think that third party apps are great (which they are) but when any and all apps are available on competing platforms it really is a downer. Everything else Windows Phone does better, Email, Contacts, phone, and messaging are better, the os is fluid and easy to use.

Feature wise the Lumia 920 has a stellar camera, it doesn't slow down as time goes on, and it hopefully will be upgraded to Windows 8.1. Spec wise it should be good going into 2015. Your battery will probably falter before the phone is considered outdated. The windows phone developers are the only thing holding back windows phone, and this has more to do with Microsoft than the developers. MS needs to open up API's for developers to use to get every app on the platform. Not having access to texts, and contacts is one.

I think the 925 is not future proof because of the low memory on the phone. The 1020 is also in the same boat if you do not put your pics on your computer because if you take photos are full resolution then the memory will fill out fast. The 920 is perfect with having 32 gigs and the pics don't take up too much memory.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 920 is fine if you have it and using it.
If you're in the market for a new device I suggest waiting for something newer like the Lumia Icon.

@coreldan: Have you tried wireless charging? ;)

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
While I don't doubt what you say happens with the 820 you have I have never had a heating problem with mine no matter what I have run on it, including 2 and a half hour movies installed to the SD card. All phones (even the same model) are not created equal. The way phones are setup, updated and cared for make a big difference. My brother has a Samsung S3 that he has had nothing but problems with, while my sister also has a S3 that she has never had a single problem with. Its just the way it is. If your 820 is still in warranty I would have it checked for the heating problem.

Jamie Wooten

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmm interesting thread. I just traded someone a Blackberry Z for a 920, so I hope it's gonna last a while. I owned a 920 when they first came out but like any new OS I couldn't stand it. The 920 I'm getting supposedly has the Black update so I'm hoping they've advanced.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
But I really love just about everything in my 920. Although my USB port is getting messed up somehow, I have hard time plugging the USB cable in and even slight movement might just nudge the cable off enough to not charge it for example. This is nasty if the cable detaches over night while I charge and might find it only charged for like 10 mins and have a near dead battery in the morning :D

You really need to pick up a charging plate. I rarely need to plug a cord into my 920. Charging plates are only about $25 so pick one up already. :)

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
While I don't doubt what you say happens with the 820 you have I have never had a heating problem with mine no matter what I have run on it, including 2 and a half hour movies installed to the SD card. All phones (even the same model) are not created equal. The way phones are setup, updated and cared for make a big difference. My brother has a Samsung S3 that he has had nothing but problems with, while my sister also has a S3 that she has never had a single problem with. Its just the way it is. If your 820 is still in warranty I would have it checked for the heating problem.

Hey I thought it is common for phones to heat if u play graphic intensive games like nova 3.are u sure your Nokia lumia 820 does not heat while playing games.I think you are lying or u would have got some lucky lumia 820.am sure if you are playing games lumia 820 heats like a iron box.u cannot play games even for 30 minutes.I know what am saying.any lumia 820 plz share your views.thank you

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I have an 820 too and indeed it does get noticeably warmer when I stress the CPU but it nowhere near 'heats like an iron box'. That doesn't sound good to me. You may want to drop by your local Nokia Care centre.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6