Rookie Questions

Doug MacKay1

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Greetings,

I am new to Windows Phone and have a few rookie questions. For a point of reference, I was a Android power user for several years (flashed ROMS, built my own etc?)

1. Keep Screen Alive: Is there some way to keep the screen on when using the Xbox Music App, or the phone is charging? I have a dash mount and it is a pain to switch songs when driving because the screen keeps timing out.
2. Speech to Text: I use the Speech to text for composing text messages. On Android, I could say:
?I am on the way home period do we need anything question mark? and it would type
?I am on the way home. Do we need anything?? Is there some way to insert punctuation in WP8 speech to text? When I try the same thing on WP, it just types the stream exactly as I spoke it.​
3. One Note Speed: I also use One Note fairly extensively. It seems to be very slow on my Windows Phone compared to the old Android. On Android, it seems like it put a local copy of everything on the phone and then updated after I opened a notebook. On WP, every time I open One Note, it takes forever to sync any notebook I open. IS there some way to store the notes off-line or speed-up the sync?
4. LinkedIn app: On Android, when I received a LinkedIn email message and tapped the reply icon, it would launch the LinkedIn app. On WP, it always launches the browser even though I have the LinkedIn app installed. I then have to type in my login for LinkedIn on the browser every time. Is there some way to associate the LinkedIn message with the app?

Overall I really like the phone. It is just taking a bit to get used to it. Once the dust settles, I think I will really enjoy Windows Phone. So far, it has been much more stable than my Android (even with a stock ROM).

Thanks for any advice.

Doug M.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
For #2, you have to do a sentence at a time. Say your first sentence, wait for prompt, then say "add more." Continue until you have the whole thing said/typed.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Greetings,

I am new to Windows Phone and have a few rookie questions. For a point of reference, I was a Android power user for several years (flashed ROMS, built my own etc?)

1. Keep Screen Alive: Is there some way to keep the screen on when using the Xbox Music App, or the phone is charging? I have a dash mount and it is a pain to switch songs when driving because the screen keeps timing out.
2. Speech to Text: I use the Speech to text for composing text messages. On Android, I could say:
?I am on the way home period do we need anything question mark? and it would type
?I am on the way home. Do we need anything?? Is there some way to insert punctuation in WP8 speech to text? When I try the same thing on WP, it just types the stream exactly as I spoke it.​
3. One Note Speed: I also use One Note fairly extensively. It seems to be very slow on my Windows Phone compared to the old Android. On Android, it seems like it put a local copy of everything on the phone and then updated after I opened a notebook. On WP, every time I open One Note, it takes forever to sync any notebook I open. IS there some way to store the notes off-line or speed-up the sync?
4. LinkedIn app: On Android, when I received a LinkedIn email message and tapped the reply icon, it would launch the LinkedIn app. On WP, it always launches the browser even though I have the LinkedIn app installed. I then have to type in my login for LinkedIn on the browser every time. Is there some way to associate the LinkedIn message with the app?

Overall I really like the phone. It is just taking a bit to get used to it. Once the dust settles, I think I will really enjoy Windows Phone. So far, it has been much more stable than my Android (even with a stock ROM).

Thanks for any advice.

Doug M.

#1 there might be a setting in the Xbox Music app
#2 should be fixed with 8.1 update
#3 never tried it on any other platform
#4 add your linkedIn email info in the email & account settings to have it pushed to your phone like your other email

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)