1020 audio review anywhere?

Live2Deliver

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Is there a review of 1020's audio quality anyone came across? GSMarena usually does this in their phone reviews but they left out 1020 'due to receiving a defective unit'. until now there's still no review posted.
so far i found the audio quality on my 1020 not very satisfying compared to PowerAMP on my android phones.

potatopower

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I find the audio quality to be average at best. (I use UE TripleFis as my daily driver)
Lack of native lossless playback doesn't help either.

Live2Deliver

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
i'm glad i'm not alone at finding 1020's audio quality to be lacking. Seriously I'm looking at Xiaomi's Hongmi or my last android phone to be my standalone MP3 player.
Hongmi is said to have DIRAC technology, used by Mercs and BMW. I've heard of it but what is it actually, is it any good?

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
GSMarena's audio reviews are the best I've com across so far but their 1020 review still says

"Unfortunately our Nokia Lumia 1020 unit had some problems with the music playback and we were unable to complete our dedicated audio quality test. Once we obtain a properly working unit, we'll update the review immediately."

GSMArena feature labs: The tests - GSMArena.com

The best thing you can do is look at other phones with that same SoC .. anything with MSM8960 should have similar output... most of them probably use the same DSP.

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I find that with a decent set of headphones the 1020 is pretty good. I am using Deezer with the HQ sync turned on, so playing everything ar 320kbps which makes a big difference, add to that a pair of Sennheiser neodymium headphones and it sounds great.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I came from Sansa Clip+ and have a huge Flac library which can't be used with the phone :(

Isn't there a 3rd party app in the store than can play FLAC ? Also.. with 32gb of storage it will be really hard to put all that many files on the phone. I still don't understand how a media centric devices such as this doesn't have an SD card slot.. it makes absolutely no sense unless they want you to use that cloud..

Crosstalk is indeed an issue in this SoC.

yeah I looked up a list of phones that use that SoC on wiki and non of the phones listed are known for good audio quality.. The GS3 with Exynos is pretty good, but that one is using a different DSP I think.

Snapdragon (system on chip) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Snap 800 and the 805 would be MUCH better when it comes to audio output.

Look at the LG g2 and the 1520 for example

Nokia Lumia 1520 review: Finnish fable - GSMArena.com
xDibv6v.jpg

LG G Pro 2 review: See you 2morrow - GSMArena.com
BbUPyWo.jpg

Still, it has to be noted that the g pro 2 is slightly better (even more so on headphones), which makes me think that their andro driver is better than Nokia's WP one for that particular SoC

Live2Deliver

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
i've been noticing a weird FX bug occurring randomly, not sure if anyone had something like this before.
There are times when the track playing has the quality sounds very poor. it sounds like there's no EQ in it or a channel of it is missing - not stereo. It can also be described as narrower, bass-less, drier.
  • This weird bug doesn't sound very obvious, but its there like a nuisance to some.
  • It affects the track playing, doesn't persist between tracks. Restarting that track by selecting it in the song list fixes it too.
I use MixRadio, offline PC-loaded 320kbps MP3.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
i've been noticing a weird FX bug occurring randomly, not sure if anyone had something like this before.
There are times when the track playing has the quality sounds very poor. it sounds like there's no EQ in it or a channel of it is missing - not stereo. It can also be described as narrower, bass-less, drier.
  • This weird bug doesn't sound very obvious, but its there like a nuisance to some.
  • It affects the track playing, doesn't persist between tracks. Restarting that track by selecting it in the song list fixes it too.
I use MixRadio, offline PC-loaded 320kbps MP3.

Even if other people are experiencing the same problem, it sounds like it would be hard to notice unless you are a bit of an audiophile ; )

What kind of headphones are you using ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99