520 cellular network/edge network issues

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
My wife and I have Lumia 520s on AT&T's 10GB plan. When I am at work, or anyplace that I have low signal, sometimes my phone will grab back to 4g fine, sometimes it does other weird things. One of the weird things it does is it will show the signal strength that I normally have, but instead of 4g, it will say "E" for edge network. Well after a few seconds, it shows "G", then almost immediately it will go to no service. Few seconds later, it goes back to "E". This continues over and over until I put it in airplane mode and take it back out, then it is always fine. Well, before we had AT&T, I had it on Straight Talk using AT&T towers. I assumed it was the SIM card, and for weeks of contacting ST's useless support, I got fed up and we went with AT&T's plan (no contract of course). Well, it does the exact same thing on my phone with the new AT&T SIM card. It has happened in multiple locations and its hit and miss if it will happen or not, sometimes it doesn't happen for days, sometimes like today, it happened three times in a row. Its unlikely the service, guy I work with has an iPhone, girl I work with has a Galaxy S4, both on AT&T, and don't have issues. Do you think it is the phone or something to do with the phone radio itself?
Curious to see if anyone else has any issues similar with their phones.

Thank you!

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Oddly enough I think I'm experiencing a similar problem on my own 920; I have data on (3G) and I'm connected fine but if the signal gets too low the phone will seem to lose the data connection even though it's technically still on. I've found that using airplane mode or turning the phone off and on will 'reset' the connection and I can carry on normally.

I'm not sure of a fix, as I've tried soft and hard resets and I wonder if this is something wrong with the transmitter on the phone. I think it might be time for both of us to check this problem over with Nokia.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Oddly enough I think I'm experiencing a similar problem on my own 920; I have data on (3G) and I'm connected fine but if the signal gets too low the phone will seem to lose the data connection even though it's technically still on. I've found that using airplane mode or turning the phone off and on will 'reset' the connection and I can carry on normally.

I'm not sure of a fix, as I've tried soft and hard resets and I wonder if this is something wrong with the transmitter on the phone. I think it might be time for both of us to check this problem over with Nokia.

Have you contacted Nokia yet? The problem is annoying, but not sure how long it takes to send it back or what? I have AT&T, don't think there is anything they can help with...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster