Problem with the Lumia 1320 display

raefonti887

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm having a problem with my Lumia 1320 RM-994 Philippines version.

At times, it goes into a state where the phone would go unresponsive and display a lot of color banding (the color depends on the theme color, it's a screen full of color bands). It usually happens when I tap to wake the screen, but not all the time. It's usually remedied by resetting the phone. It goes away but it goes again after a long time. It happened twice today, at different times - one when I tapped to wake the screen when listening to audio. The audio can still be heard but the screen wasn't responsive. Another was when I changed the theme. After I changed the theme and locked it, when I tapped to wake it, it went crazy again. I always reset the phone when it happens and it goes away. My screen is normal and good when using it.. It doesn't happen very often, but when it happens, display goes a lot of color bands and becomes unresponsive. I tried to take a screenshot of it but what I saw was the normal lockscreen instead of the wonky banding screen.

I think it's more of a software than a hardware problem. Anyone experienced this "color-banding-when-waking-the-phone" incident?

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Since the past 2 days I have noticed this display issue too. Earlier on my phone had a flip cover and it never happened. After removing the flip cover and when I keep my phone in the pocket (jeans pocket is slightly tight) when I remove it from the pocket at times the display goes crazy (just like SAFE MODE look on Windows Desktop) but then in a sec or 2 its back to normal. I'm not sure whether its a display issue or because the screen gets pressed a bit in my pocket.

Nandakumar Kesavan

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
i too have the same problem, i have updated two of the official apps (one was Audio and don't remember the other) from then on my phone froze twice and i had to reset it... seems like the update screwed up something

raefonti887

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I think the updates screw up the screen. I did a hard reset and did not update the nokia firmwares, and no display freezing/crazy lines on the screen happened as of writing, compared to what happened on my first post. I read somewhere that the a firmware update for 1320 is around, and is 225MB in size.
better wait for an announced update from Nokia or a notification than to update it myself.

raefonti887

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Anyone who has a smiliar problem where the 1320 kinda freezes after waking the phone? And I think the proximity sensor is always turned on, causing screen flickers and that crazy unresponsive screen. After a hard reset, it happened twice,after the phone was in my pocket. And I noticed the light/proximity sensor is lighting up or visible despite turning off auto brightness. When I soft reset the phone, it goes okay again. I wonder if this is a software or hardware problem.

EDIT: here's a link to a video of what happens: Sorry for the low quality and my foot.

Last edited:

Alpha Tauri

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey, I'm from the Philippines, too. I don't appear to have that problem on my 1320. You should have it checked at a Nokia service center. I do however have some minor screen flickering problem when I have the "Automatically adjust" option turned on under Brightness. But it only flickers ever so slightly when I interact with the phone.

Before, when I had a Lumia 720, I did experience phone freezing. The physical buttons would work, but I couldn't do anything on the touch screen. I had it brought to a service center where they opened it and did something to fix the problem.

raefonti887

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I already sent the phone to the NCC. I just hope they get a good and quick response. I'm going home to the province in the coming week and I'm very worried for my phone.

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Since the past 2 days I have noticed this display issue too. Earlier on my phone had a flip cover and it never happened. After removing the flip cover and when I keep my phone in the pocket (jeans pocket is slightly tight) when I remove it from the pocket at times the display goes crazy (just like SAFE MODE look on Windows Desktop) but then in a sec or 2 its back to normal. I'm not sure whether its a display issue or because the screen gets pressed a bit in my pocket.
Without keeping the phone in my pocket, the issue still exists. I used the phone for 2 months and it never gave me any problems. Suddenly this problem started. Might be screwed up with the recent updates received for settings.

raefonti887

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Without keeping the phone in my pocket, the issue still exists. I used the phone for 2 months and it never gave me any problems. Suddenly this problem started. Might be screwed up with the recent updates received for settings.
do check it. I already sent mine to NCC, and I really commend Nokia Philippines for replying quite fast through e-mail and twitter. I just hope they fix whatever's bugging my phone's display within the week.

Tejinder Singh2

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Facing similar issue. Sometimes when i wake my phone up by double tapping, it will go into fluorescent screen mode (colours all messed up etc) but i can still access my phone. I have to lock the screen again and unlock it again to get back into normal state. It happens twice already in 2 days. Should I take it back? Could it be a software glitch? My phone is on latest firmware (released 27 March 2014).

raefonti887

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I sent my 1320 for the second time at the Nokia Care since the problem still persisted even if they already replaced its display. I can't tell if the recent OTA update fixed it since the phone is still at NCC. can anyone confirm that it has been fixed? Thanks.

Chrispjcj

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I sent my 1320 for the second time at the Nokia Care since the problem still persisted even if they already replaced its display. I can't tell if the recent OTA update fixed it since the phone is still at NCC. can anyone confirm that it has been fixed? Thanks.

I have the same issue and I don't think this is screen or LCD issue. Could be the last update messed up on our phone. Have you got a chance to check if they really changed the LCD? Ask them where is the old LCD just for proof.

raefonti887

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I did a soft reset and after downloading the latest firmware it went away.
So it has not occured since then?

I'll be getting the phone through my brother this weekend. Nokia Care called and told me they replaced the phone's main board since they really don't know what's the problem. Plus, they also updated the software via OTA. I'll know personally by next week if the problem was solved.

Chrispjcj

May 3, 2014
Visit site
So it has not occured since then?

I'll be getting the phone through my brother this weekend. Nokia Care called and told me they replaced the phone's main board since they really don't know what's the problem. Plus, they also updated the software via OTA. I'll know personally by next week if the problem was solved.

Keep us updated mate. They still able to accommodate your warranty even when you arrived there and not able to replicate the issue?

raefonti887

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Keep us updated mate. They still able to accommodate your warranty even when you arrived there and not able to replicate the issue?
Yes, phone is under warranty. I just had it two months ago. Have you updated your software, and if yes, did your issue still persisted?

Edit: Chris, I sent you a PM

raefonti887

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes, my OS is updated and the issue still occur. Though, it only happens once in a blue moon. PM sent.
I can't really tell right now if my issue was fixed. I'll have to wait for my brother to pick it up through the weekend. But NCC said earlier that the phone is okay now. Well, I need to find that out myself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster