Identify original back cover?

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,

I have been using my Lumia 920 for almost a year now so I decided to liven it up. Back in April 2013 I wanted to get a red Lumia 920 because I forgot to cancel my contract so I had to choose a new phone anyway. Unfortunately, my carrier only provided me with a choice of white, black and yellow (and yellow was on backorder) so I went with the matte black housing. This week I decided to order a red replacement case for 29€, the eBay description said it was an original Nokia housing.

How can I verify this? The build quality seems the same and it came with everything except the USB charging port and the headphone jack which I had to take from my old housing. Everything else was in place, buttons, sim tray and even the QI charging pad. The only thing that makes me suspicious is the camera bezel. My old one said "NOKIA | Carl Zeiss" on the chrome bezel, the new one says "Carl Zeiss | Tessar 2.0/26" on it. Is this still an original cover or a OEM one?
WP_20140320 2.jpgWP_20140320 3.jpgWP_20140320 4.jpg
Pictures included, sorry for the quality. Taken with my old HTC 7 Potato.

Archion

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
If it doesn't say Nokia, it's likely not genuine. There are some pretty convincing knock offs out there. Also does it have the heat spreader strips in it? The genuine ones I have come across tend to be pretty pricey... That is also a bit too glossy.

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
WP_20140320 1.jpg
If it doesn't say Nokia, it's likely not genuine. There are some pretty convincing knock offs out there. Also does it have the heat spreader strips in it? The genuine ones I have come across tend to be pretty pricey... That is also a bit too glossy.
I assume the heat spreader strips are either the glossy black ones around the lens or the matte black ones all around the QI pad? If so, yes, they were in the new case, glossy black/matte red respectively.

About the glossyness: to me it seems pretty much as glossy as the white ones I have seen in stores.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk Beta

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My inclination is that the Tessar one is the genuine one since my Lumia 920 (ATT - US) has the Tessar-marked bezel one out of the box but now I'm confused.
Do both exist?

Maybe there could be a poll to see how many non-modded 920's have each back.

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
My inclination is that the Tessar one is the genuine one since my Lumia 920 (ATT - US) has the Tessar-marked bezel one out of the box but now I'm confused.
Do both exist?

Maybe there could be a poll to see how many non-modded 920's have each back.

That's what I thought I read somewhere (that there's different bezels), but I couldn't find anything to prove it. So yeah, I was hoping people with known official shells (i.e. out of the box red phones) could tell me ��

Edit: This is what I was able to find using bing image search: http://gadgetian.com/41953/nokia-lumia-920-att-specs-price/

Jonas_H

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Yes, if it came with a serial number in it it should be genuine.

I'm not from the US, but I'm 100% sure that there are 920s with the Tessar-marked camera. I think it's the AT&T one!

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, if it came with a serial number in it it should be genuine.

I'm not from the US, but I'm 100% sure that there are 920s with the Tessar-marked camera. I think it's the AT&T one!

The serial, where is it located? Can't seem to find it on my original black case. Or is it the number printed on the QI pad?

Edit: I noticed a faint imprint on one of the heat spreader pads. That is also existent on the red case. Another imprint I was able to find in top of the sim tray, printed in the grove of the case where the sim tray goes. My black one says "Type: RM-821 FCC ID: PYARM-821" the red one "Type: RM-820|FCC ID: PYAA|IC:661V-A" so I am startling to get more and more confident it's an original case. If its a knock off, its a very good one with attention to detail.

Last edited:

Jonas_H

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Exactly.
This number shows that it comes from a original factory.

There are some fake QI pads too, but they don't have a serial number written on it.

Of course your seller could have just made a fake case and put a original QI adapter in it, but I don't think that somebody would do that just to sell a fake housing!

Edit: Okay, if you found exactly the same imprints on your black case you can be sure it's original! :)

Jonas_H

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
And the reason why the one says RM 820 and the other RM 821 is because one is the ATT Version, also the one with the Tessar mark and the other the worldwide version!

Jonah Travisano

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a red Nokia 920 from AT&T and it is the same as the red back cover you are showing in the picture and so I would guess you are getting a genuine one , but just the AT&T model.

Archion

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I just received a new case for the faux new blue refurbished unit that I got off amazon, I ordered the new back in black from parts4repair.com Immediatly the quality in the OEM unit over the fake was apparent. The feel and finish is completely different. The buttons are actually held captive. The main Identifier I noticed was the screen printing with the FCC id in the sim card port.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett