New WP 1520 owner! Galaxy Note 3 to Nokia 1520

Faustous

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Well, I did it. I have left Android and switched to Windows Phone.

I am SHOCKED at how easy it was! All of the major apps that I use have a version in WP or they are something that is comparable.
In some cases, if not all, the way they app displays the data makes Googles desire for a cards design across all apps a bit behind the times. WP apps look SO much better!

I am still in the honeymoon period, but so far so good!

For anyone that is worried about the switchover, don't be! The water is fine and everything that you need and want is here. (I am really happy to open the Windows Store and not see 15 Flappy Birds apps on the top 50; Looking at you Google App Store).

Query:
For music subscription apps: What does everyone mainly use?
I have been a Spotify user for some time (mainly due to playlists, I suck at making them and love that I can sub to others). But I really like the integrated Xbox Music.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
thrilled to hear you are enjoying you new Lumia 1520 :)
I use nokia mix-radio since Xbox music isn't available in my country or tunein radio works great
haha play store contains thousands of flashlight apps :0

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Query:
I have been a Spotify user for some time (mainly due to playlists, I suck at making them and love that I can sub to others). But I really like the integrated Xbox Music.

One thing you don't have to worry about is music apps! Windows phone has the best music service... Xbox Music! Bar none the best!! There's Nokia Mixradio which is also fantastic and ad-free and even offers downloadable mixes. These are the two services I personally use. But there's also Pandora, Beats Music, Spotify is coming out with an updated app soon, slacker radio, rdio, and I'm sure I'm leaving a few out!

Welcome to the family and enjoy your beautiful device!

Faustous

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all!

Going to spend the day with Nokia Mix today, see how that turns out :)

Here is another query:

I am on AT&T so I lost the Qi charging.
I have an Incipio PMA case on the way, but is there a PMA charging stand, like the Nokia Qi stand? I can't seem to find one, only the flat charging plates.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
LOVE my XBOX Music pass. Wouldn't go without it now, would even keep it if I had to leave WP.

My wife liked Slacker Radio a ton. Funny thing is, for the longest time all I ever heard was "WP doesn't have a Pandora app, so it blows!!". But, since we got it, so far no one I converse with uses it. Nokia Mix Radio is a natural since it comes with the phone.

Don't know much about wireless charging- but stay tuned. People smarter then me are on the way....

Glad you made the jump!! The L1520 is an amazing piece of tech, and WP sings on it. Can't see there being a time you will be disappointed. Give us a more complete review after you have had it a couple months. That always helps those thinking of making a purchase or not.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
My wife liked Slacker Radio a ton. Funny thing is, for the longest time all I ever heard was "WP doesn't have a Pandora app, so it blows!!". But, since we got it, so far no one I converse with uses it. Nokia Mix Radio is a natural since it comes with the phone.

Don't know much about wireless charging- but stay tuned. People smarter then me are on the way....

Glad you made the jump!! The L1520 is an amazing piece of tech, and WP sings on it. Can't see there being a time you will be disappointed. Give us a more complete review after you have had it a couple months. That always helps those thinking of making a purchase or not.

I use Pandora, love the app... But since I only hear a commercial once every hour or so I grew to like it. I have the Incipio PMA case. Best accessory I have bought. 2nd would be my Zagg shield, Because I have little scratches on the edges, so I didn't want it to get worse..

ASHAB HAMEED

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Glad you chose to buy 1520..I bought it alongside my brother who bought note3. Lumia is so much better especially the camera is way better than note3.apps were never a cause of concern for me because I mainly wanted a good camera,build quality and big screen for media consumption.again congrats on your purchase hope you enjoy ur device and plz tell the color u bought? ps mine is white(rm-937) aka 32gb with wireless charging and Nokia protective case in packing!!

Faustous

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I was told by my wife, that if I didn't get black, that I should turn in my man card ;-)

I REALLY wanted a yellow L1520 in international (for the 32gb and the Qi charging), but I did go with black.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I was told by my wife, that if I didn't get black, that I should turn in my man card ;-)

I REALLY wanted a yellow L1520 in international (for the 32gb and the Qi charging), but I did go with black.

I went with black because it was the only color in a 32GB model. LoL....

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
gr8 welcome to windows club...iam using note 2 and lumia 1020...I know how amazing windows os is...just windows 8.1 will make it more awesome....thou iam missing my lumia 1020 as its gone for replacement...using my old love nokia 808 pv...I would love to buy 1520...but I prefer 2 phones with diff OS

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site

I have a yellow 1020 and it's amazing....talk about standing out from the crowds of slate white S4s and gold iPhone 5S' :p

Faustous

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Windows 8.1 was the catalyst to get me to move over.
I used to be an iOS guy (and the family follows my lead) before Ice Cream Sandwich and Jellybean Android.
When JB came out, we all switched to Galaxy Notes. This was a game changer for Android. Finally bringing Android on par for smoothness and responsiveness with iOS.
Where Ice Cream Sandwich was what made the Android system faster and useable, Jellybean smoothed it out and made it look better.

Windows Phone 8 makes it all faster and Windows 8.1 will push it over the top!

Now, to get people to understand that just because a ecosystem doesn't have millions of apps, doesn't mean it's a bad system.
I love music, but I don't want or need 30 different versions of "What does the Fox Say", when one is MORE than enough (too much, more often than not).

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Pandora and songza are good. I also use Mix Radio, I like music only and hence the choice to go with a 720. 920 and 820 were way ******* costlier in India when I got my 720.

Mess with Nokia Camera on manual mode. That is the greatest thing.

Spotify, as the rumor goes are going to update their app.

Deezer, slacker, rdio and tune in are good.

kyriacou48

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Welcome Faustous!

Good to see you made the switch and I hope you find what you've been looking for in a smartphone.

Have to agree totally with the apps comment. Big deal if your iSheep friend has some game that's all the craze... that's all that iOS has going for them and as WP owners, it is most important to value the core OS and everyday functionality.

WP 8.1 - Let's hope it closes the gap :)

MERCDROID

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, I did it. I have left Android and switched to Windows Phone.

I am SHOCKED at how easy it was! All of the major apps that I use have a version in WP or they are something that is comparable.
In some cases, if not all, the way they app displays the data makes Googles desire for a cards design across all apps a bit behind the times. WP apps look SO much better!

I am still in the honeymoon period, but so far so good!

For anyone that is worried about the switchover, don't be! The water is fine and everything that you need and want is here. (I am really happy to open the Windows Store and not see 15 Flappy Birds apps on the top 50; Looking at you Google App Store).

Query:

I need to work up the courage to do this! What did you end up doing for GMail and Google Maps? Those are the two Google Apps that I use a lot. Did you just use the browser for both? Or does the built-in Email client for Windows Phone 8 handle GMail pretty well? Or, did you completely switch to Outlook and ditch GMail?

Faustous

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I need to work up the courage to do this! What did you end up doing for GMail and Google Maps? Those are the two Google Apps that I use a lot. Did you just use the browser for both? Or does the built-in Email client for Windows Phone 8 handle GMail pretty well? Or, did you completely switch to Outlook and ditch GMail?

In place of GMaps, I decided to give HERE a chance. I can always fall back to Waze, since that is available. If Navagon ever lowers it's price, I might go that route if needed. But for the short bit of driving I have done so far, HERE seems to be ok.

The built in email client handles Gmail just fine. There are small things that I miss, but the overall... rightness... of the L1520 is overcoming those.
I have ditched Gmail... yet. But I do think that I want to try. Even for the simple reason that I have had my gmail account for quite some time and have built up a heck of a lot of spam senders :) I wouldn't mind a fresh start. There is a shift that you need to make in your thinking, but it isn't bad at all.
I moved all of my notes from Keep to OneNote and I have to say that OneNote is SO much better.

I won't be switching everything away from Google, since there are a few things that they do just fine; Hangouts, for instance. But I think I may try... eventually.

Change IS inevitable, no matter what. And I am finding that the change that I made feels really good.
And no, I hate using a browser for things on a smart device (it isn't that smart then). :)

taphius

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Welcome! Only thing I miss right now is a bumper tpu case(i want to feel my sweet sweet matte polycarbonate) and google drive....

MERCDROID

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
In place of GMaps, I decided to give HERE a chance. I can always fall back to Waze, since that is available. If Navagon ever lowers it's price, I might go that route if needed. But for the short bit of driving I have done so far, HERE seems to be ok.

The built in email client handles Gmail just fine. There are small things that I miss, but the overall... rightness... of the L1520 is overcoming those.
I have ditched Gmail... yet. But I do think that I want to try. Even for the simple reason that I have had my gmail account for quite some time and have built up a heck of a lot of spam senders :) I wouldn't mind a fresh start. There is a shift that you need to make in your thinking, but it isn't bad at all.
I moved all of my notes from Keep to OneNote and I have to say that OneNote is SO much better.

I won't be switching everything away from Google, since there are a few things that they do just fine; Hangouts, for instance. But I think I may try... eventually.

Change IS inevitable, no matter what. And I am finding that the change that I made feels really good.
And no, I hate using a browser for things on a smart device (it isn't that smart then). :)

I really appreciate the reply, brother! I want to give it a try. Right now, my only dilemma is that I have to break service with T-Mobile and payoff the rest of this Note 3.

I really like the Note 3. But, I am finding that I do want to try something different. As much as I like Android, I'm finding that I am starting to get tired of it.

I don't use many apps, so that's not an issue. And, even though Android has more apps, I'm finding that the core experience is still lacking in the smoothness department. The only Android devices I've used thus far that were perfectly smooth were the Nexus 4 and 5.

Also, I'm not sure if I should wait for a 1520 variant to arrive on T-Mobile or just switch to AT&T for it.

Decisions, decisions lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb