New WP 1520 owner! Galaxy Note 3 to Nokia 1520

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I moved from android late last year. I got so p!ssed off with Google and the way it needs to know everything about you.

I went through a lot of phones last year starting the year with a Note 2 then going to an S4, Xperia Z, Note 3, Xperia Z1 but then I got a Nokia 1020 which was my first windows phone and although I didn't like the phone itself I thought that the windows operating system was great so I got a 925 and gave the 1020 to my wife who loves it still. The only thing I preferred about the 1020 was that it had 64gb as opposed to the 32gb in the 925 but that problem is now fixed with the 1520 and sd card.

In the new year when I was sure I was staying with windows with NO chance of wanting to go back to android I began to move everything to windows. With my main Gmail address I just sent it to my outlook address as default so that I didn't have to have Gmail on either my windows phone or my 2520 which my wife go me for Christmas. I was lucky in that the only change in my email address was the outlook for Gmail as I was able to keep the rest the same.

I am now 4 months down the line and I could not be happier with the whole windows system. I have sold everything android now and the only thing I miss is my Xperia Z1 but only because it was such a great looking phone and waterproof which was handy when I was out on the boat.

Yes the windows system isn't perfect and I have had a couple of small problems with the touch problems on my 1520 but then it was nothing compared to the problems with my Nexus 7 2nd edition and my Z1 had touch problems as well but that was more not registering touches at all.

I only got my 1520 last week so still getting used to it and trying to decide what to do with the extra tiles but so far so good. My 925 looks very small now.

alanrobinson5538

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I too switched from a Galaxy S4 to an international LTE Lumia 1520, and am loving it.

Again for me, all my apps were available (bar one - Jawbone Up, for my Up band). I still have an ipod touch, so sync it with that.

It was very easy to swap for me, as I used Office online prior to this too, prior to that spending years with Mac OS.

The catalyst for me was getting my Surface Pro, everything is very similar and I love the fluidity of everything.

Alan

H3aTeRzz

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Proud Note 3, and now, Lumia 1520 owner as well. It is taking some getting used to. One question, is there a way to have battery percentage show? I had to download an app to see it. Thanks and so far, Im loving the phone; I now have the best of all worlds.

Note 3
Note 2
Nokia Lumia 1520
iPhone 4s
iPad 2

I got it good! :-D

Last edited:

Faustous

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Hey Mercdroid:

Hope you see this :)
You described EXACTLY how I felt. I loved the Note 3. I thought it would be the last phone I would need.
But... it was just missing something. That smoothness and polish is in the 1520.
My wife and I, even though she hates it, are constantly comparing the Note 3 (that she owns) and the 1520. She's not a happy camper, but I am laughing my head off.

Odd analogy, but fitting:
Wife and I were married almost 5 years, had been together 7 years.
We kept trying to find new things to do and keep us excited about life.
Then, one day, we just looked at each other and said it was time for kids.
Best decision we ever made.

Android is great and fun. But Windows Phone... It's the best decision you will ever make :)

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Proud Note 3, and now, Lumia 1520 owner as well. It is taking some getting used to. Once question, is there a way to have battery percentage show? I had to download an app to see it. Thanks and so far, Im loving the phone; I now have the best of all worlds.

Note 3
Note 2
Nokia Lumia 1520
iPhone 4s
iPad 2

I got it good! :-D

battery percentage in status bar is something coming with windows phone 8.1 update :)
and you have lot of gadgets to play with ;)

hyperthermia

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I was so impressed with my 920 when i first held it. Then my 1520 came, the first touch was so overwhelming, i thought i couldn't get used to its enormous build, but every time i touch it, it makes me wanna explore it even more, untill the size was no longer a problem and every moment was of full pleasure. #phonedrama

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Better late than never so I'll just say congratulations on your purchase and welcome aboard

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

H3aTeRzz

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
At this point, I can't say that I think the Lumia out does my Note 3. I still love my Note 3, but the side by side comparison so far is in the Note 3's favor. I'm not saying that I don't like the Lumia, heck, its an awesome phone and I doubt I'll be bringing it back. The only thing I'll give the Lumia credit over the N3 is its ease of use, mostly due to me being an owner of a Window's based program since its birth.

But.... I've only had it for 3 days now, perhaps as I learn more about it, I "may" put my N3 as my secondary device, but, LOl.... I doubt it! :-D

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
At this point, I can't say that I think the Lumia out does my Note 3. I still love my Note 3, but the side by side comparison so far is in the Note 3's favor. I'm not saying that I don't like the Lumia, heck, its an awesome phone and I doubt I'll be bringing it back. The only thing I'll give the Lumia credit over the N3 is its ease of use, mostly due to me being an owner of a Window's based program since its birth.

But.... I've only had it for 3 days now, perhaps as I learn more about it, I "may" put my N3 as my secondary device, but, LOl.... I doubt it! :-D
What all can the note 3 do that the 1520 can't do? Haven't played with one so would like to do comparison....some what!

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Well both have their own benefits....but as OS goes...windows is very smooth and lag free....iam using note 2 and lumia 1020....I love the windows os and beautiful live tile and all....

sent from lumia 1020 or note 2

MERCDROID

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey Mercdroid:

Hope you see this :)
You described EXACTLY how I felt. I loved the Note 3. I thought it would be the last phone I would need.
But... it was just missing something. That smoothness and polish is in the 1520.
My wife and I, even though she hates it, are constantly comparing the Note 3 (that she owns) and the 1520. She's not a happy camper, but I am laughing my head off.

Odd analogy, but fitting:
Wife and I were married almost 5 years, had been together 7 years.
We kept trying to find new things to do and keep us excited about life.
Then, one day, we just looked at each other and said it was time for kids.
Best decision we ever made.

Android is great and fun. But Windows Phone... It's the best decision you will ever make :)

I appreciate it, brother! I'm definitely looking forward to making the switch this year. I'll either move to the 1520 or its successor. If T-Mobile doesn't get either device, then I'm going to end up jumping ship to AT&T.

I do greatly appreciate the replies!

And, LOVE the analogy, by the way! ;)

H3aTeRzz

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
What all can the note 3 do that the 1520 can't do? Haven't played with one so would like to do comparison....some what!

You'll need to do a online comparison of the specs to see more, but here's the reason why I brought the Lumia 1520 Back today and traded it for another Note 3. (Now I have 2 :-D)

1. No SPEN (Big Deal For Me)
2. No replaceable Battery (Big Deal For Me)
3. Touch seemed way to sensitive, kept opening apps when I was scrolling.
4. Note 3 seemed to have more credible apps in the store, that I'm used to. Other apps like FB, had less options than the FB Options on the Note 3.

And the fact that WP just seemed too simple for my much complicated mind! :-D

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
You'll need to do a online comparison of the specs to see more, but here's the reason why I brought the Lumia 1520 Back today and traded it for another Note 3. (Now I have 2 :-D)

4. Note 3 seemed to have more credible apps in the store, that I'm used to. Other apps like FB, had less options than the FB Options on the Note 3.

Yeah, I think you either get WP8 or you don't. I got it big time and love it.

I can also see how the lack of S pen would be a problem if you used it a lot. I have had all 3 of the note series but never used the S pen that much other than the usual note taking and so on.

About the only thing that I miss about the Samsung phones that I had was the removable battery. That and the great service in the Samsung service centre in town which helped me out with the numerous problems I had on each of the phones.

Faustous

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Specs Comparison (Paulxxwall, this is for you).
Both phones, specs wise are basically the same. Here are the differences:
Note 3 has:
S-Pen
3GB Ram

Lumia 1520 has:
6" IPS Display
Wireless charging

Hardware wise, That's really it.

I feel like I need to address these, since there are people coming to this thread (amongst others) to determine which way the funds should flow.

Obviously, this is a personal preference. Where I had a Note, Note 2 and Note 3 and never used the S-Pen more than 4 - 6 times total.

I completely understand this. HOWEVER, I have never had a phone where I could browser Reddit all day (Readit! rocks), check and answer email, text, social messages and spend 1.5 hours on the phone and have 81% battery life. It happened to me yesterday. This phone is impressive. AND a replaceable battery is no longer a "must have" since now there are so many portable battery solutions available at a cheap price, there is no reason NOT to have one.

This is adjustable. However, I did find, and still sometimes find that it is a bit... off.

This, again, is personal opinion. I don't need tons of "options" in my FB client on my mobile device. Also, "That I'm used to" obviously means you weren't really ready to switch and were more curious about the platform. Kudos for trying!

As far as credible apps, this is what kept me away from Windows Phone. Being told that there were no apps by people that didn't have a Windows Phone.
There are PLENTY and there are VERY credible apps. Every app I have downloaded that is same developer as the Android and iOS version has looked SO much better and performed better than the other platform (Keep in mind, I am more knowledgeable about the Android universe than iOS) and those that had a 3rd party rendition were ALWAYS better.
Except for the Facebook client. But then again, that thing has always looked like crap and refuses to conform to any OS standard look.
I would really like to hear what you are stating are "credible apps". Feel free to pick anything from a Root or Stock perspective.

This is pure ******-ism and is written to start a fight.
<britishAccent> If you, Sir, Think to demean me by implying that I am of a simple mind; Let me dissuade you of such thoughts! </britishAccent>
Seriously, I am software engineer AND I am ADHD. I have MORE then enough running in my head to deal with 4 "complicated" Android devices than I know what to do with.

I am NOT trying to start a fight (It's the internet and I already own all the tubes I need), but I really would like to have a discourse on apps that you feel are "credible" vs Windows Phone apps.

<HUGS>

Paul Foulkes

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I switched over a couple of weeks back and still use my gmail very easily and very happy with the client. Works a treat. Don't worry about it - make the change

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss