Can you tell a difference between a refurbished 1520 and a new 1520?????

NSX38

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
It's coming down to crunch time before I make the jump over to AT&T for the 1520. I have been looking through CL to check prices of used ones, and am keeping my mind open if I'm going to go that route or just buy at the store through the next program (Total cost/payments 12 months to upgrade through the program would be $29.25x12mo=$351). I found one that is pretty cheap but before they respond to me I want to know if there are any indicators that would tip me off that a phone may look new in packaging, but is indeed a refurbished unit??? Any way I can tell......

Thx

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
The refurb boxes generally look different from the regular retail boxes, and if they try to pass off a retail box with a refurb phone you can verify in the About section of settings.

The IMEI of the device is printed on a sticker on the box. If it is a retail phone the IMEI will match on the retail box and on the phone as shown in the About area in Settings.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
My personal take? Just do Next through AT&T. Doing so removes doubt from the process on stolen vs non-stolen, refurb vs non-refurb, fights on whom is the responsible party, etc.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
If your buying used or off CL or eBay ask for the IMEI and call AT&T and have them run it to see if its good. As far as a referb your rolling the dice, its a referb for a reason unless its one hell of a deal I'd buy new.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
next program (Total cost/payments 12 months to upgrade through the program would be $29.25x12mo=$351). Thx

I think you may be not understanding the Next12 program very well. It is "Due Monthly for 20 months $29.25" ($585). After 12 months you can trade it in on a New phone for the same $29.25 a month, but your 1520 would have to be in perfect condition, no scratches.. You will be responsible for the whole $585 if you leave early, or damage your phone. You will also need to pay taxes up front too.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Well, a refurb won't have that new phone smell, but other than that, no, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference. Especially if you have a case.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I think you may be not understanding the Next12 program very well. It is "Due Monthly for 20 months $29.25" ($585). After 12 months you can trade it in on a New phone for the same $29.25 a month, but your 1520 would have to be in perfect condition, no scratches.. You will be responsible for the whole $585 if you leave early, or damage your phone. You will also need to pay taxes up front too.

no worse then a 2 year if you wanna dump it in a year. Bottom line if you gotta have the newest phone your gonna pay.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I know, I signed up for it, but they screwed up my order so badly, the the manager at the AT&T store got them to send me a free 32gb version. Love this phone. #Winphan

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Yea at&t is a joke but they will hook you up, they gave me the 20gig share plan for free till they can figure out the fantom data issues im having. Hell yea, love my 1520!!

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I switched from the 550 minutes 3GB data with $20 a month unlimited text to the 10GB family share plans, saved a couple dollars, but now instead of 3GB I have 10GB, instead of paying for text and 550 minutes, I get unlimited. And I only have 3 phones, and only one smartphone. So I get more, and at the same (or close to price) But I have read stories of the fathom data issues. I keep track of mine, so I don't see it, but it must be happening on some.

NSX38

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
The refurb boxes generally look different from the regular retail boxes, and if they try to pass off a retail box with a refurb phone you can verify in the About section of settings.

The IMEI of the device is printed on a sticker on the box. If it is a retail phone the IMEI will match on the retail box and on the phone as shown in the About area in Settings.

Good to know about the IMEI on the box and the phone

NSX38

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site

I realize it's 20 months of payments of $29.25=$585, but if I upgrade at the 12 month period then the total payments I would have made would be $351. Or I guess you are just leasing the phone and that's what your total output is for 12 months and then you give it back. I'm guessing if that's the route I take, a successor to the 1520 might be out by this time next year (Apr "15")? If so it would be a perfect time to upgrade to the successor to the 1520.

NSX38

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
The guy just e-mailed me back and he sold the phone already, he was selling it for $240!! I knew it wouldn't last at that price whether or not it was refurbished or new?? Here is the e-mail response I got below:

Hello a guy purchased this from me, but I can tell you where I got it from.
I got 3 of these from quibauctions.com and I resold them for some extra money.
The trick is to watch for bidding to slow down and then put in a bid. That's what I do and I win most of the time.

All the best
Ashley

Anybody here of this auction site before???

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but it doesn't work like eBay, if someone bids in the last few seconds, the time extends... So it can go on for hours and bring the price up and up. The place boast "Brand New Only" So he can't resell it there...

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Since it cost 60 cents just to bid... The cost might go higher than he may be stating. Also he gets free bids for referrals. ;)

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I'd be real suspicious about a brand new phone or factory referb going for $250 or less, sorry that's just me and I'd hate to get a week down the road when my phone stopped working because the IMIE was burned, or find out its some knock off clone.

scagle7

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I had to do a warranty exchange through AT&T and got 2 bad 1520! I ended up going the Microsoft and buying a brand new one! Now I am happy

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte