Windows 8 - seriously? Tethering is great though

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
We must be stuck in 1996. The 520 arrived yesterday and after a lot of time with it so far, I have to say, What???

It is like stepping back to the early Palm Pilot era. If this is as good as it gets then I am back to Android. That's a bummer as I am a programmer and have installed the win8 phone SDK to develop some apps for my own use. The Android SDK is horrible by comparison, but looks like I am going back to it.

The only good thing I have found with the 520 and win8 is Tethering or "Internet Sharing" My Moto X is disgustingly poor at that and the 520 with win8 is awesome. So now I have a decision to make, use the 520 with the crappy win8 and great Tethering or use the great Moto X with damned-awful Tethering.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
You might want to say WP8 or Windows Phone 8, cos this really has nothing to do with Windows 8 itself.

But yes, internet sharing is great, but I don't know what is your problem other than that. Sure, it isn't as capable as Android, but I feel as a user experience it's mostly superior.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
What exactly is your gripe with Windows Phone?

1:
Plain Start screen, square blocks with cryptic names.
This
Nokia-Lumia-520-front-png.png
or this
77822d1377376988t-lets-see-your-moto-x-homescreens-screenshot_2013-08-24-13-34-59.jpg
2:
The screen space is larger than the viewing window. On my 520, the "Right-arrow" is half obscured at the bottom. Either remove the arrow or make the screen fit the viewing window.
3:
"Requires," for Apps. The devs must have a "Select all" option as most apps I looked at wanted an heinous amount of freedom with my phone and data. Why does a card game need access to my camera and microphone for?
4:
The entire things is clunky to use, just to name a few.
{edit1}
5:
No Firefox browser
6:
Terrible assortment of apps like Our Groceries for Android.
7:
IE is Awful.
{/edit1}

Last edited:

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
You might want to say WP8 or Windows Phone 8, cos this really has nothing to do with Windows 8 itself.

Ooops, my mistake, you are correct. I can't seem to Edit that. In my defense, it could be assumed since this is a WP and 520 Phone forum. But, technically you are correct. Maybe a Mod can fix that heading for me.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
No offence, but your first and second points don't even make sense. After reading your list of problems with Windows Phone 8, I would strongly suggest staying with Android.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
No offence, but your first and second points don't even make sense. After reading your list of problems with Windows Phone 8, I would strongly suggest staying with Android.

Umm,
1:
Colored blocks compared to modern 24-bit graphic icons?
2: I have to scroll the screen up to see all of the arrow. That is just sloppy programming.
screen arrow.jpg

I mean no offense, but had you understood my OP, you would see that I am trapped into using the 520 because of the poor data Tethering of the Android phone. :)

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Um.. WP uses tiles instead of icons. That's the biggest thing that sets it apart.

As far as the arrow goes, remove stuff from your Start Screen and you'll see it clear as day. You don't need the arrow for anything anyways. Just swipe and you'll get directly to your app list.

If you don't want apps to have such permissions, don't install them.

How is it clunky to use?

IE is much better than Firefox, IMO. I think it works great!!

Terrible assortment of apps? Explain what you NEED, we have solutions for you.

Why do you feel that IE is awful? What functionality does it not have that you require?

WP is extremely different from Android, ios or BB. If you can't wrap your mind around it, then I'm not sure what to say. I think WP is much simpler to use than Android. But, potato, potahto.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
You won't be rid of Live Tiles. Swiping to the right serves the same purpose as the arrow, and you're the first person I have ever encountered who has a problem with it. App permissions are always going to be confusing - don't use apps you don't trust. IE works well for me, and no one is stopping Firefox from making a WP version. Next thing I know, you'll blame WP for not having Google apps... Your original post comes off as a rant from a person who had no idea what to expect from Windows Phone 8 which, by the way, is different from Windows 8. Next time, do your research.

Martin hfd

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Okay... a little unnerved are we?? What kind of help did you want? Because i do not see a question in your post? You don't see those of us who have both android and WP8 complain about stuff that is not even logical to discuss since you are comparing 2 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT operating systems. Android has it's ups and downs it is NOT the perfect, idylical, briliant wallpaper with random icons that you pasted :D .... WP8 actually is pretty SIMPLER to use than any other OS out there and some of us prefer to use the black background with squares that go up/down because we do not want our homescreen to look cluttered, so you arrange it once and you're done... If you have any problems that we can help you with we are at your disposal even though you just trashed our favorite OS like it's your worst enemy... If you don't like don't use it no one is forcing you (if someone is then I apologize) ..... But please do NOT come on WPCENTRAL (NOTICE THE "WP") and brag about how android this or android that and start bashing on the tiles, the arrow, the OS...
IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING ASK IF NOT... (I THINK YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN)

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
You didn't do much research before you bought the phone if you were shocked about live tiles? That said, you could have just as "fancy" icons, but most apps/developers prefer to make their live tiles fit the art/design style of the phone. I actually don't like apps with livetiles that are trying to be a usual "icon", it just looks off. This is a matter of preference though.

I don't like Android UI at all personally. I occasionally have to help my father with his Android phone and I find myself facepalming at how much I hate the damn UI :D

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't see a complaint that isn't a personal opinion.

Windows Phone 8, like anything in general, isn't for everyone. It isn't Android, it isn't going to be like Android. Comparing it to Android, without going to there (because you can't) isn't going to do anything more than frustrate you.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
That's the biggest thing that sets it apart.

First impressions are worst impressions.
Swipe to the left then a huge list to scroll through before getting to the app I need if the name starts with anything more than "M"

As far as the arrow goes, remove stuff from your Start Screen and you'll see it clear as day.

I have been a programmer for 40+ years and always design software to work for me not tother way around. I should never have to do stuff to make the screen appear as it should have in the first place. Complacency of the consumer builds laziness of the programmer.

If you don't want apps to have such permissions, don't install them.

I don't but that then it leaves very few apps to help me get past the clunkiness. I only load apps that I will use frequently, and if I they have an onerous list of "Requires," then I pass. As should any other wise and security minded soul.

How is it clunky to use?

You have to open an app before you use it. Can't make a selection directly from the app icon, ooops, I mean colored block.

IE is much better than Firefox, IMO. I think it works great!!

Hate to say it, but you have not used Firefox anywhere near it's potential. NoScript, AdBlockPlus, CleanQuit, Self Destructing Cookies and on and on and... :)

Terrible assortment of apps? Explain what you NEED, we have solutions for you

A decent shopping list would be nice. BUT, something that does not require my pics, my mike, my camera etc. Have you seen some of the Android ones? Linked in with a website where the lists instantly sync without other family members using the same app. All free versions and all with tolerable Permissions.

OK, enough from me on this subject, I am stuck with it just because of the superior Tethering, so I am going to learn to love it, if not that, then learn to love/hate it. :)

Oh, and I have installed the SDK and already created an app for my 520 so it is getting better already. I can turn Tethering on or off with a tap.

kb4000

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Add more apps to your start screen. The arrow moves down. The arrow is only supposed to show when you scroll to the bottom.

jpling

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I personally agree with some things. But you don't have to scroll. Flip to the left hit a letter and jump to app. No scrolling. I'm on the other end. For me android does better at tethering. I can't get my ps3 to connect to my WP where all my android devices don't have this issue. My icon as my daily driver is perfect for me though.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, if you need some suggestions, I know most of us here on WPC will be more than happy to help. For your shopping list, try OneNote and save to OneDrive. There are apps for other platforms that tie directly into it. I wish you tons of luck and happy WPing with your new toy. Give it a good go, you'll love it!!

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
For your shopping list, try OneNote and save to OneDrive.

Thanks, I had already tried the onenote approach but that was terrible compared top what I expect from a shopping list. If you check OurGroceries for instance, on an Android phone to see how a good list works. It has a Master list to choose from, you tap items on the list as you put them in the cart and it shifts them back to the Master List. You can set up categories and sorting orders for where stuff is in the stores. It updates instantly across other phone/tablets and has three very benign Permissions. All that for free.

I don't mean this to sound like a pi55ing contest, but onenote's checklist is pretty pathetic. :)

steppyhen

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Try 'Shopping List' by Microsoft if you're after a good shopping list, I found that to be a fairly decent one for WP if OneNote doesn't do it for you :)

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Hate to say it, but you have not used Firefox anywhere near it's potential. NoScript, AdBlockPlus, CleanQuit, Self Destructing Cookies and on and on and... :)

Obviously if he doesn't agree with your assessment, he's "using it wrong"? :|

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb