Windows 8 - seriously? Tethering is great though

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Try 'Shopping List' by Microsoft if you're after a good shopping list

Thanks, but I had tried that and it is little better than onenote. :) No master list, items stay visible bust checked instead of removed from current list. That means on a long list I am forever scrolling up and down a list of mostly checked items. We live out in the boonies and shop usually about once a month so 80+ items is not uncommon. A real shopping list removes the items (and empty Categories) as they are collected so the list gets shorter and easier to use.

With Categories we can have items as they are laid out in the store. For instance, chocolate and soup crackers are very close to the Dairy aisle, (no idea why) whereas all other crackers and candies are in another area of the store. so we have
pre-Dairy <<- Category
..Chocolate
..Soup crackers (actually treats for the dogs)
Dairy <<- Category
..Milk
..Eggs
Cookies <<- Category
..Shortbread

I didn't check the cloud and sharing part, but the lists in the app store either have heinous Permissions or are out of the 40s :)

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand how you are saying android has worst thetering. It has usb,Bluetooth nd even WiFi tethering.plz explain why you feel wp8 is best at tethering.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

GhostITMG

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, seeing as how you are a programmer with 40+ years of experience, why don't you make the shopping list app you want and then put it on the market place for $.99? Since there is nothing comparable on WP already, you should make a killing. Rather than ***** that it's not there, profit from it.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Rather than ***** that it's not there, profit from it.

Umm, if you checked an earlier post you will see that I said I have installed the SDK and already written one app for Tethering. As to making money, I am 74 and retired and have no need or desire to sell software anymore. It is not just the selling it is the support and that part, sucks big time. I write programs for myself when I can't find what I need. It makes no sense tome to reinvent the wheel.

I am not sure what your "*****" means in this context, I am just stating facts about what I am finding as a new win-phone user.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand how you are saying android has worst thetering

I understand the Android options and they all work, but we are using Tethering for *all* of our home data, some 90+GB a month. At that rate, we get to see all of the variations ins cell-service reliability, phone reliability and ISP (T1, T2, T3) line connection reliability. The casual Tethering for say 1GB per month would rarely see such issues.

I do not know if it is Android or the Moto X phone causing the issues, but we continually get "Limited connection," or "Waiting on ..." when using the Moto X in AP mode. I have spent hours on the phone with cell provider, phone companies and Internet forums. All to no avail at making the Moto/Android better.

By comparison, the 520, has yet to falter with data *and* it provides a much faster speed to load pages on this laptop PC. Given that, we have to use the 520 for data and that is OK, I just wish some of the available apps I want were up to the state of the art of Android. The 520 just works day in and day out with never a hiccup. For that it is awesome and a keeper.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Umm, if you checked an earlier post you will see that I said I have installed the SDK and already written one app for Tethering. As to making money, I am 74 and retired and have no need or desire to sell software anymore. It is not just the selling it is the support and that part, sucks big time. I write programs for myself when I can't find what I need. It makes no sense tome to reinvent the wheel.

I am not sure what your "*****" means in this context, I am just stating facts about what I am finding as a new win-phone user.

Well heck, write it and put it out for free. That sounds like a nice type of solution, one I might not use, but plenty of others would. You're over twice my age, with copious amounts of wisdom, I assume, but if I'm making a shopping list, which I haven't for quite a long time, I use pen and paper. Call me Old Fashioned I guess.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Well heck, write it and put it out for free.

You are probably one of the smarter people of the world, but trust me when I say, "free" does not mean no longer dealing with idiots. :D There are zillions more of them than we smarter ones. I used to have about 30% of my software free but the idiots beat me down and I stopped doing that. Some of the idiots were other programmers who would get very abusive because I wouldn't add extra functions to free software for what they needed. {GASP!}

I use pen and paper.

I trained myself out of that with my first PDA back in about 1990. :D

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Well heck, write it and put it out for free.

Lemme just add, that basic shopping list program such as OurGroceries on Android, would take about three to five weeks of programming on any platform. I mean 80+hours per week and while being retired, I do have some free time on my hands, I do not want to expend that kind if intensity in front of a keyboard any more. :)

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand how you are saying android has worst thetering. It has usb,Bluetooth nd even WiFi tethering.plz explain why you feel wp8 is best at tethering.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

I agree with his comment as well. I never had good quality speeds when tethering on Android compared to my Lumia but, I will say, I was on ATT with Android and have since switched to Tmobile on my Lumia, and Tmobile is hands down better here in New Orleans.

To OP, I can see some of your points and honestly, its just a matter of getting accustomed to the different OS. Your point about permissions, I agree 100%. 9\10 times its lazy basement programmers who grabbed a copy of VS and have no clue whatsoever how to adjust for correct settings for their app.

Your view about FF over IE for WP is merely education. Sure, people come from an era where all that addon junk wasn't just because you wanted it but because you needed it but, things have changed. If you maintain IE in mobile mode in WP you really don't need all those ad blocker addons and stuff. Microsoft has actually done a good job at keeping the browser secure and allowing addons would hinder that. FF itself is to blame for their lack of browser, that and the fact IE has started becoming an equal, if not better, browser that doesn't need all the junk added.

The arrow on the Start Screen is one pointless piece of space taking junk, swipe your fingers to the left is all it takes. As far as scrolling the installed list, just place your favorite apps on the Start Screen in the order you like and voila.

I agree with Shopping List apps. I had thought of putting one together along with a W8 companion app but didn't think people would be that interested, maybe I need to reconsider.

I would like to commend you though, at 74 and giving it a shot instead of sticking with what you know, I don't know many seasoned people that would do that and on top of that, build your own apps for what you can't find. Hope you don't take this as an insult to your age, I have spent the last 10 years developing apps for retired people to help their PC experience be a bit better without them having to call the grandchildren every day and to come across someone with your curiosity and skill to give it a go, I commend you.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
True, I can totally understand that. Inch, mile yada yada. I am honestly the most intelligent mothaf@cka a lot of people have or ever will meet. Not conceited, convinced. I'm a fixer. Solution, code out the app and sign yourself up as a Developer, for free mind you, then you can sideload directly to your 520. Also, you could publish to the Store in a "perpetual BETA state", allowing only those you invite to use it.

I have no idea how to code, nor do I want one. But, it seems to me that the lack of a solution, such as you have, could fill/find a need. If I'm you, I'd write it, BETA it, then publish. Us WP folk are, for the most part, extremely chill and respectful when it comes to our Devs. Heck, throw in some ad support, and get a little residual from it. If nothing else but beer money, or grandkid's presents. Then again, you could suffer the same fate as that Flappy Birds guy. Overwhelmed at making $50,000 a month.

Just sayin. Anyway I can help, just ask.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I agree with Shopping List apps. I had thought of putting one together along with a W8 companion app.

I know the user base of WP and Android is hugely different and have not done any comparative Math, but look on the Play Store for things like Out Of Milk (OOM) etc. Millions of DLs. I quit using OOM as their permissions got to be silly, but most people do not know or care (foolishly) about Permissions yet. Hopefully his will be the year if the Permission-shock and Devs will have to take a closer look as what they are asking.

Sadly Google briefly-showed then whipped away the One-App option with 4.3. That gave too much control to the user so I guess they bowed to where the money is. Happily I notice that WP8 gives the user some individual control over some Permissions. I see that "Location" can be individually controlled and I REALLY like that about WP8.

Hope you don't take this as an insult to your age

Not at all, I have to agree with you on calling the grand-kids etc for the average in my age group. I built my first computer with a soldering iron and handful of parts. It had 8-buttons on the front for programming one Byte at a time. My first commercial computer was a Tandy TRS-80 Model I with 4K of memory and a cassette recorder for data.

As to making changes, speak to my wife who is always on to me to stop buying new gadgets. LOL Just because we old farts are two or three times older than you yung'ns, does not mean we don't like new toys.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
sign yourself up as a Developer, for free mind you, then you can sideload directly to your 520.

In selfish mode, that is not needed as msoft allows me to sign up for Personal use of the apps. That means I can use stock win8 on the laptop, (not 8pro for $200 more) and I can also deploy to my phone. So, as I said, selfish, but effective and my Tethering apps sits on my Start screen already and goes where I go with the phone. But I do not want to invest the time in writing something like a shopping list. :) Too may other fun things to be doing. Retirement is GOOD! LOL

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
True, I can totally understand that. Inch, mile yada yada. I am honestly the most intelligent mothaf@cka a lot of people have or ever will meet. Not conceited, convinced. I'm a fixer. Solution, code out the app and sign yourself up as a Developer, for free mind you, then you can sideload directly to your 520. Also, you could publish to the Store in a "perpetual BETA state", allowing only those you invite to use it.

I have no idea how to code, nor do I want one. But, it seems to me that the lack of a solution, such as you have, could fill/find a need. If I'm you, I'd write it, BETA it, then publish. Us WP folk are, for the most part, extremely chill and respectful when it comes to our Devs. Heck, throw in some ad support, and get a little residual from it. If nothing else but beer money, or grandkid's presents. Then again, you could suffer the same fate as that Flappy Birds guy. Overwhelmed at making $50,000 a month.

Just sayin. Anyway I can help, just ask.

The worst thing one can do is think he is in any way better than everyone else.

Modesty would suit you better. Now you just sound like a little pr**ck. No offense, just sayin'...

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I know the user base of WP and Android is hugely different and have not done any comparative Math, but look on the Play Store for things like Out Of Milk (OOM) etc. Millions of DLs. I quit using OOM as their permissions got to be silly, but most people do not know or care (foolishly) about Permissions yet. Hopefully his will be the year if the Permission-shock and Devs will have to take a closer look as what they are asking.

Sadly Google briefly-showed then whipped away the One-App option with 4.3. That gave too much control to the user so I guess they bowed to where the money is. Happily I notice that WP8 gives the user some individual control over some Permissions. I see that "Location" can be individually controlled and I REALLY like that about WP8.

Not at all, I have to agree with you on calling the grand-kids etc for the average in my age group. I built my first computer with a soldering iron and handful of parts. It had 8-buttons on the front for programming one Byte at a time. My first commercial computer was a Tandy TRS-80 Model I with 4K of memory and a cassette recorder for data.

As to making changes, speak to my wife who is always on to me to stop buying new gadgets. LOL Just because we old farts are two or three times older than you yung'ns, does not mean we don't like new toys.

One thing to keep in mind, is that WP does not allow apps any access to the core OS. Apps run in their own little sandbox with certain features available for use, ie Location. Its MUCH more secure than anything Android can give to you.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
The worst thing one can do is think he is in any way better than everyone else.

Modesty would suit you better. Now you just sound like a little pr**ck. No offense, just sayin'...

Dude, I feels ya there, with your intention. I'm not, nor did I EVER imply anything about being better than anyone else. Sad thing is, I'm kind of a f*cked up wreck of a human being. Facts are what facts are though. I know some smart dumb people and dumb smart people.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
In selfish mode, that is not needed as msoft allows me to sign up for Personal use of the apps. That means I can use stock win8 on the laptop, (not 8pro for $200 more) and I can also deploy to my phone. So, as I said, selfish, but effective and my Tethering apps sits on my Start screen already and goes where I go with the phone. But I do not want to invest the time in writing something like a shopping list. :) Too may other fun things to be doing. Retirement is GOOD! LOL

So what is awesome to do for a retired gentleman of a certain age, such as yourself in New Orleans? Besides loving up on your wife that is. Which should be your only job. That and stockpiling beads for Mardi Gras..

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks LocalHorst, the first one had onerous Permissions so that will not happen.

The second was little better than onenote, but at least it did remove items as they are collected but there is no way to really categorize items. They use the store name but then you can't batch-sort those to give you all the items at one store in a lump.

I am amazed that Devs have not looked at the Android ones and emulated them. The WP8 I have tried have all been like using DOS components.

Maybe I have to bite the bullet and wrote one, but really do not want to do that. :)

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
:) an old adage my Mother taught me, "if you need to be rude, you are probably losing the argument."

Losing what argument? I was just trying to point out something important to you, and that's the point that your opinion is not the only one that's important. Just because he likes IE more than Firefox doesn't mean he was "using it wrong". It means he has an opinion different than yours.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss