How's your power consumption? (Coming from 1520 owner)

anon(7822191)

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting about 9 or so hours on charge. I'm a college student, so play around with it at school a good deal. Thing is, my 1520 never broke 50% by the end of my really long days on campus, this thing is pretty much about to start going into battery saver. Does this sound normal? Am I still 'breaking the battery in'? Found a great deal on an icon so I picked it up, thinking the 1520 was too big and this was the perfect small phone. Now i'm starting to think my 1520 was the best thing ever. Really on the fence, haha. Will eventually need to sell on one ebay to make up for buying the other... let me know what you guys think.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I generally go all day(12 to 14 hrs). But not always as it just depends on usage and type of usage as some drags it down quicker. It'll never be as good as the 1520. If that type of battery life is important then stick with that device. Maybe you should be spending more time studying at school rather than playing on the icon. That would seem a win/win for you and the icon's battery 😉

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm getting about 9 or so hours on charge. I'm a college student, so play around with it at school a good deal. Thing is, my 1520 never broke 50% by the end of my really long days on campus, this thing is pretty much about to start going into battery saver. Does this sound normal? Am I still 'breaking the battery in'? Found a great deal on an icon so I picked it up, thinking the 1520 was too big and this was the perfect small phone. Now i'm starting to think my 1520 was the best thing ever. Really on the fence, haha. Will eventually need to sell on one ebay to make up for buying the other... let me know what you guys think.

The 1520 is a better choice for battery life. It's battery is roughly 50% bigger than the Icon's, and the hardware has roughly even power draws. I can't escape the charging stand when I am in the office, and my extra battery pack is a must when I am on the road. I use my phone for regular email, texting and web searches when I am away from my Surface Pro, and the battery is absolutely mediocre. I enjoy QI charging, but I wonder if they could have fit in more battery if they weren't trying to make room for the charging coils.

I knew the battery looked to be an issue before I grabbed the phone (I got it on the day it came out, so there was no opportunity for feedback from users), and I made sure I got the accessories I would need to stay topped up. I would recommend you get yourself an external battery. They cost a few bucks but the first time you really need one it totally pays for itself.

sequoia464

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Just be thankful you don't have a 920. I just got one of them six weeks ago - should have read more about their battery issues (mine is already in for service).

I was all set to get my wife an Icon, not so sure now after my experience with the 920. Looks like I should follow this for a while and see if the Icon is going to be problematic with battery life. I can always pick up something cheap for her to use in the meantime.

Existence_Inc

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I get 36-48 hours to a charge with moderate use. I stream audio over LTE 12-16 hours a day. Decent amount of email, photos, texts, store browsing, games, etc. I'm looking at 39 hours currently with 24 hours of that time streaming audio. GPS, LTE, Bluetooth, NFC all on. Power Saver activates at 20%. It has been a bit better than my 9930, and that says a lot given the jump in hardware.

~Ex

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I was giving mine a pretty heavy workout yesterday when I took my daughter down to Waikiki and the Honolulu Zoo. I went from 100% down to about 20% in about four hours, but I was taking a lot of pictures (over 130) and video; sending them via MMS and uploading to Facebook fairly often.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
On the second day I had this phone, I went from full charge to 29% in about 1 day and 9 hours. I have never gotten close to that since, which is quite upsetting. Right now I am at 49%, charged 15 hours ago and saying 18 hours left (this definitely isn't accurate, though). When I had that 29%, the full charge said I had 2 days and 22 hours remaining, which again, I haven't seen since.

anon(7822191)

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I get 36-48 hours to a charge with moderate use. I stream audio over LTE 12-16 hours a day. Decent amount of email, photos, texts, store browsing, games, etc. I'm looking at 39 hours currently with 24 hours of that time streaming audio. GPS, LTE, Bluetooth, NFC all on. Power Saver activates at 20%. It has been a bit better than my 9930, and that says a lot given the jump in hardware.

~Ex

o_O

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Anyone have any tips to make battery life better? I really don't know what happened, this thing drops rather quickly. I can get a full day out of a charge just fine, but I like to use my phone a bit and be rest assured that it only dropped like 4% in an hour. I swear, for the first two days owning the Icon, I'd get almost 2 full days out of a single charge! I honestly don't know what happened. All I have running in the background is Forecast, and my Gmail syncs manually. Maybe I'm spoiled coming off my 8X (battery life was insanely good) but I know for a fact that the Icon is capable of that 2 day charge since I've seen it! Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Existence_Inc

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
It could be any number of things: If there are tower related issues going on, it can dramatically impact your battery life. As could being in different locations with varying signal strength.
It could also be a matter of calibrating the battery monitoring software. Mine consumes about 1.5% per hour when not in use. Nokia Mix Radio is very power friendly (if it works for your preferences), so I use it over Pandora/Slacker/Etc. Check your background tasks and see what is approved for background usage.

If you think there might be a rogue app, try uninstalling them (1 each day) and see if that makes any difference (since your battery life has gotten worse since you have had it). I don't have a lot of non-stock apps on mine that run, so I haven't seen a decrease in battery life since new.

~Ex

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
It could be any number of things: If there are tower related issues going on, it can dramatically impact your battery life. As could being in different locations with varying signal strength.
It could also be a matter of calibrating the battery monitoring software. Mine consumes about 1.5% per hour when not in use. Nokia Mix Radio is very power friendly (if it works for your preferences), so I use it over Pandora/Slacker/Etc. Check your background tasks and see what is approved for background usage.

If you think there might be a rogue app, try uninstalling them (1 each day) and see if that makes any difference (since your battery life has gotten worse since you have had it). I don't have a lot of non-stock apps on mine that run, so I haven't seen a decrease in battery life since new.

~Ex

What about IE having the last page you visited open constantly? Whenever I open IE, the last page I visited is loaded immediately. I don't recall this happening on my 8X. I have it disabled in the backround...

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I think I found a power vampire. After writing my previous post and started monitoring my power usage, and I noticed my power consumption was higher than normal. It checked my background apps and noticed that Nokia Motion Monitor Beta. My Battery app kept chiming saying that I had fast power drain, and I couldn't figure out why since I had been fairly light usage since going to the zoo last week. I blocked that app, and noticed that my battery is not draining as fast. We'll see...

Existence_Inc

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
What about IE having the last page you visited open constantly? Whenever I open IE, the last page I visited is loaded immediately. I don't recall this happening on my 8X. I have it disabled in the backround...

When I am done using IE, I close all tabs and delete history. That could be an issue and perhaps why I don't have any issues with it. It is an old habit back from before there were privacy settings in browsers and cookies were used to track user history and habits. Old habits die hard I guess, though I would LOVE a Private Browser setting on IE (for WP8), or a mobile version of FireFox.

I think I found a power vampire. After writing my previous post and started monitoring my power usage, and I noticed my power consumption was higher than normal. It checked my background apps and noticed that Nokia Motion Monitor Beta. My Battery app kept chiming saying that I had fast power drain, and I couldn't figure out why since I had been fairly light usage since going to the zoo last week. I blocked that app, and noticed that my battery is not draining as fast. We'll see...

That could very well be one of, if not THE, cause of your issues. Air UI on my Nokia N9 had a similar effect, as does high sensitivity on my Icon. I figure it is akin to having the screen brightness cranked up. Keep us posted.

~Ex

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Usually it uses 60-70% on mine, not bad, but definitely not as good as some other flagship phones.

I took this screenshot at 10:05am this morning. About 3:20 on the battery and I am at 31%. Been web surfing, reading news, some twitter and a couple of posts on WPCentral.

wp_ss_20140405_0001.jpg

In my opinion, this phone should have gotten a bigger battery, even if it meant no room for a charging coil.

Last edited:

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
When I am done using IE, I close all tabs and delete history. That could be an issue and perhaps why I don't have any issues with it. It is an old habit back from before there were privacy settings in browsers and cookies were used to track user history and habits. Old habits die hard I guess, though I would LOVE a Private Browser setting on IE (for WP8), or a mobile version of FireFox.

That could very well be one of, if not THE, cause of your issues. Air UI on my Nokia N9 had a similar effect, as does high sensitivity on my Icon. I figure it is akin to having the screen brightness cranked up. Keep us posted.

~Ex

After a couple of weeks of blocking the Nokia Motion Monitor Beta my battery drain was back to normal. I also got rid of "Battery" as well. I found that was draining power too and since I didn't find it very useful, uninstalled it. But the Motion Monitor app was the biggest vampire and I uninstalled it completely. I should probably give the Nokia beta guys a heads up about the huge battery drain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs