Increased Battery Life randomly?

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I normally get about 12-15 hours of battery life on my 1020. I have 2 emails set to always sync, all background tasks ON, Bluetooth always on, I typically listen to 30 minutes to 1 hour of music, and I typically take 2-8 pictures a day. For the first time ever, I got a day and 9 hours of battery. I unplugged my phone in the afternoon because I had been using it a lot that day. I didn't plug it in over night. I got better battery life by unplugging it 10-15 minutes after it was at 100%.

Anyone understand why this happened? I used it roughly the same, maybe a little less than normal.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
you are getting great battery life , I don't understand why unplugging the phone soon after 100% gives better battery life , if I let it plugged in it will surely lose some charges or either nokia charger do not have auto-power cut feature when the battery reaches 100% , I usually get the same battery life on my Lumia 920 , listening to music for 1-2 hour , 30-40 minute of games , some short calls and messages and 2-3 hour of web browsing which includes apps like metrotube , Bing weather , news , etc.

jay6600

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I would hazard a guess at your mobile has been receive a better cellular signal and this has increased the battery runtime as its using less power in communicate with those used cells/masts.

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I have been on my college campus in the same area I am in everyday. I still texted and made the same amount of phone calls that I usually do. There was a difference in use of my phone, but not enough to make that big of a difference. I don't understand why it increased so much.

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I have 2-5 bars of LTE, depending on if I'm outside or inside. I had my WiFi off the whole time. Bluetooth was on the whole time.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I have 2-5 bars of LTE, depending on if I'm outside or inside. I had my WiFi off the whole time. Bluetooth was on the whole time.

this is AWESOME :D , so you are not at all using internet , meaning no lives are fetching data and are somewhat paused , resulting in more battery life :)

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
No, I have my LTE on and use that instead of WiFi. I have all my background tasks going. I'm about to unplug my phone now and go to bed. Guess I'll see how tomorrow goes for battery life too.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
No, I have my LTE on and use that instead of WiFi. I have all my background tasks going. I'm about to unplug my phone now and go to bed. Guess I'll see how tomorrow goes for battery life too.

I thought using LTE drains battery much faster , OK do post the results tomorrow :)

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
So far, I'm at 75% after 13 hours. Listened to an hour of music, used twitter, Facebook, wpcentral, 6tag, 6snap, Bing weather, Bing news, and Bing sports apps all used. A few texts and a phone call. I'm pretty surprised it's lasted so long actually. Never been so good. I still don't know why...

Evangelosb

May 9, 2013
Visit site
How long have you been using this 1020? I've seen other posts that report such an improvement on battery after a few days, usually up to two weeks.

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I've had it for about 2 months now. I've had a total of 5 Lumia 1020's. This being the fifth. All of my previous ones had horrible battery life. This one had been consistent with lasting 12-15 hours. But now it had boosted up over a day for some odd reason. I'm a medium usage user. I'm on my phone typically once if not twice every half hour if I'm not texting my girlfriend. When I text my girlfriend I'm on it once or twice every 5-10 minutes. I'll still get over a day out of it while texting her. I'll get better battery life if I don't, needless to say. Not sure why my battery just doubled in lifespan, but I'm also not complaining.

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I went 23 hours without having to charge my phone and I still have 44%. I think it's because I no longer over charge my phone. I take it off the charger once it finishes charging.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I went 23 hours without having to charge my phone and I still have 44%. I think it's because I no longer over charge my phone. I take it off the charger once it finishes charging.

If I do overcharge my phone , battery shows 16 hours remaining , but if I don't let it overcharge it says 1 day

jason_tee

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
How do you charge the phone? Wireless? Original charger? USB via PC? How to confirm it doesn't overcharge, keep checking the status via battery saver for the percentage?

Sorry for the questions, would love to do and see if it boost up my battery life.

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I just monitor my phone when it's on the original wall charger. Once i see it is at 100%, I wait about 15-20 minutes, then i take it off the charger. I charge my phone with data, WiFi, and Bluetooth on. I turned my WiFi off because I'm on a college campus and the WiFi signal is weak everywhere i go. So if i have it on, it drains my battery because the phone is always looking for better WiFi signal. What I would suggest doing is charging your phone when you get home, then once it is at 100%, wait those extra 15-20 minutes to make sure it is topped off, then take it off the charger. It took me a few tries for this to work, but it is worth it. What i mean by the tries is, if you normally charge your phone at night, it'll take a few charges to get used to no longer being over charged. Give it a shot and let me know how it goes!

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I posted this on another thread relating to battery life on the 1020.

There are various answers to why a 1020 battery may be poor. I would know because I've have 5 different ones. But before I do that, I'll share with you what I have set on my 1020 and why my battery life is just fine.

I have 2 emails set to always sync.
I have my brightness set to medium auto.
ALL (yes ALL) my background tasks are RUNNING
These include: 6snap, Bing News, Bing Sports, Bing Weather, Facebook, Metrotube, Timer, Twitter, WPCentral, and Here Drive+
I'm a medium usage user but I get a day and 10 hours of battery life easily. I have Bluetooth and Cellular Data always on.
I'm typically on my phone once or twice every 30 minutes doing various things with Bing Sports, twitter, 6tag, or 6Snap.
I text about 150+ times a day and receive about 10-20 emails a day.

Here are the various reasons and my support behind them:

1. Poor cellular signal - I have poor signal at my girlfriend's house and I get my battery life cut about a third of what it normally is.
2. NFC is on
3. (THEORY)Background tasks are disabled making them constantly try to run but are stopped over and over again, therefore draining the battery. - My battery life has improved since I turned all my tasks on instead of being off.
4. WiFi has poor signal or is slow, therefore working the CPU harder and draining the battery when surfing the internet.
5. Pictures with Flash - the Flash drains the battery, if you can, take picture without it. I can get just as good picture if not better without any flash. Always test without flash before flash. You'll save battery if you try this.
6. No closing Apps - Now that we can close apps with the "X", it is recommended to do so. I've noticed over the last week, my battery has improved by closing apps instead of hitting the back arrow.
7. Touch - Turn touch sensitivity down to normal is you aren't using gloves and also turn off double tap to wake up. By having Double Tap on, the phone is constant monitoring the screen. It's almost like the screen is always on because the phone is always waiting for the touch. Plus, if high sensitivity is on with double tap, then your phone has a chance to open and **** dial someone. Also, draining the battery. (Happened to me when I tested it)

These are just some things that I've noticed and experimented with that made my battery better or worse.

After 16 hours, I have 70% battery left right now. I've texted 75+ times, listened to 2 hours of music from the phone speaker and over my bluetooth speaker, I've used all my social media apps, and I've sent out 10+ emails while receiving roughly 15-20. I downloaded 2 apps, used bing weather, sports, and news as well for about 30-45 minutes.

I really recommend screen shotting all your apps on your phone, then doing a hard reset WITHOUT restoring from the previous back up. Then starting over if you're having problems. Go through my various steps or scenarios to see which could be the problem for you and try fixing them. If you have any problems along the way, let me know, I'd be more than willing to help!

bemiquel

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Omg I can't believe you have such a good battery life… my 1020 is one week old and it's not lasting more than 12 hours, and still draining fast overnight even in flight mode… I pray to god this is due to the battery being young and needing more charging cycles to work properly…

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb