Track flight in the air??

immortalmatt

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi, with the 1520 having gps and the here maps having offline maps, when i fly on a plane in 5wks time, will i be able to track my flight to see where i am in the air?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I have been able to with all of my Windows Phones. I like to watch out the windows and see what islands I am flying over when in the Caribbean or what state I'm in when laying down the coast. Aside from that, a lot of airlines, after connecting to their WiFi, have a page that shows the plane on a map with speed and altitude and all that jazz.

But yes, GPS will work and you will be able to see yourself on the map in real time.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I thought all transmitting and receiving technologies are supposed to be off during flights. A flight mode shuts them all off. So you need to turn GPS on which from my understanding you're not supposed to do. They haven't changed the laws yet as far as I knew.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I thought all transmitting and receiving technologies are supposed to be off during flights. A flight mode shuts them all off. So you need to turn GPS on which from my understanding you're not supposed to do. They haven't changed the laws yet as far as I knew.

I don't believe its a law. But either way I couldn't give two ****s. I like that within the first and last 20 minutes of a flight we fly at a low enough altitude to text.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Flight mode doesn't disable location service.
tytusa5e.png

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I used here drive on a domestic flight after it had taken off and was flying comfortably... Got my location along with the speed. Didn't even need the maps of the area to know the speed.

user928

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I tracked my flight from PDX to SFO today with downloaded here map. At first the gps didn't locate the planes position but I repositioned the map to our approx location and the phone started tracking.

kais_4

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
GPS is a passive system. You don't have to transmit anything to use it. Thus flight mode on any phone shouldn't interfere with your ability to geolocate your phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb