Current Deals on Icon?

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 822 just gave me the old "Unable to boot" error. After trying everything I could to try and get it reflashed, I had no luck (says phone is not compatible - likely because it can't get far enough in the boot process). So now I am forced to upgrade my phone. I could go with a 928, but I think this would drive me insane going with a phone that is close to a year old, especially after actually getting my mitts on the Icon. So now I am looking for the best deals out there. I kind of need a phone like tomorrow, so it looks like a trip to a store is likely.

I would likely be doing the 2 year renewal (my upgrade has been available for a long time - Edge is a consideration, though not sure I want to turn the phone in after just a year). I'm looking for whatever deals, or on-line coupon codes may be available for getting the phone from either the MS store or a VZW store/on-line. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

romant56

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I got mine from amazon for $150. If you have Prime you get it pretty quickly, or you can pay for one day shipping. I think MS store has (or had, anyway) it for $200 with free one day shipping and a free wireless charger.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I just reactivated my Pre 2 on my line and might use that to trade in for an Icon using the Edge program. Kind of still debating that one, as it would be, by far, the lower upfront money, but would end up costing about $80 more for the phone over the contract period. I was thinking there was some phone trade-in thing going on with the MS Store, but all I see is the Recycle program (maybe that's it).

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Went to a corporate store and got an Icon (Black - no white available and I wasn't going to wait) on the Edge program and switched my plan from the old Friends and Family to the Single Line 1GB plan. With the Edge discount, and the cost of the phone payments, my bill only went up about $3, I had to pay $23 + 38 in taxes, and then I added the Asurion for $5. So not bad. I need to check and see if my corporate discount will apply as well, as that would pretty much knock it right back down to around the same that I was paying before. The phone is outstanding so far. I did accidentally start the process to sign in and restore my back up before I had a Wifi connection (that would have been 3GB downloaded against my 1GB plan!). I simply hard reset the phone and started the process again when I was at home. Went smooth from there.

Now if MS would just make the back-up process a lot more thorough, and, for the love of God, put the Wifi connection AFTER the back-up selection to make sure we don't get stuck in the stupid loop and having to reset the phone!

Last edited:

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
there's another thing to keep in mind...

If you buy the Icon at the Microsoft store, they say they charge tax on the $199 price. So in California, that comes out to be about $16. However, if you buy the phone through Verizon or some other vendor, they charge tax on the unsubsidized price of $599. so tax in California comes out to $50.

so you're either getting it from the Microsoft Store for about $215 (199 + 16) with a wireless charging pad or $190 (140 + 50) without a charging pad. So then it becomes whether that charging pad is worth the $25 (and if the MSRP is $70...).

I know this firsthand because my last Verizon phone was bought for $99 (but the tax was nearly the same as the cost of the phone!). and I visited a Verizon store recently and they said they still charge tax on the unsubsidized price.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Tampa, so the total percentage is 7 total (state and local) which is clearly a lot cheaper than in California. For me, only having to dish out $61.56 for the phone, and having the ability to upgrade in a year if I chose (not sure I will - the total cost of the phone only ends up costing about $80 more if you keep it) is well worth it. I was looking to avoid shelling out $200 + the ridiculous $30 upgrade "fee". I'm happy so far with how it went, and I'm loving this phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs