On day 10 with the icon and...

w4rmk

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Waze has been working great for me. Been using it for about one month and love it. I used it to navigate my way around traffic issues in L.A. a few weeks and it picked great routes to avoid the worst traffic.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
sounds like hardware issues. I'd switch to a new device or even better, contact nokia warranty so they'll send you a guaranteed working device.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You get free warranty replacement for defects for 90 days, just take it back to any Verizon store or call & have them.send you a new one. Its really that simple.

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I have a feeling I may just look to a replacement then. I feel like this may be a hardware issue im dealing with GPS wise. Also just a camera question. Even when the flash is turned off if i try to use the auto focus by tapping the screen the flash turns on for the focus but not the actual taking of the picture. Is this normal?

Have you tried using the GPS without the otterbox? Just a wild idea
Also, have you downloaded maps to the internal memory?

With the issues you are facing, it'd be best to get a replacement

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I think you may want to evaluate the alternatives on other platforms, and since you're thinking about the new HTC, maybe just trade it in for that. I love here maps but google maps has a lot of neat features that here doesn't have, one being the nav voice telling me which side of the street the destination is on

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
honestly I have seen this same style issue when a new nokia is released. they have all the same issues with the first batch its like the quality control on the first roll out is way off. friends dealt with this on a tmobile nokia. You either have to wait for a patch or just swap the phone for a new one. Nokia has been great with replacements but Verizon should be able to help. I say swap the phone for a new one and see how it works.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I love here maps but google maps has a lot of neat features that here doesn't have, one being the nav voice telling me which side of the street the destination is on
Think its here drive, but I miss this to. Coming from finding my way around for years using Google maps I never realized I could miss something so simple as which side of the road my destination is on. Priceless when traffic is heavy and your in a strange place. I frequently go past and have to u-turn. Annoying. Google maps voice direction is very good.

Vistary

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I can see the improvements Nokia and Microsoft have been made to WPs over the time, still a long way to go in terms of overall user experience. But I think the WP will gain more market share as the time goes on, it has lots of room to improve, especially the quality of apps.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
sounds like hardware issues. I'd switch to a new device or even better, contact nokia warranty so they'll send you a guaranteed working device.
+1

I don't have any of the issues with my Icon. No problems with Here maps, no reboots, not heat issues. The battery can be sub-par but only after I've played some games. And I max out the number of running background tasks.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
To start off is with the GPS/Here maps and drive. Between the actual app being clunky and giving you last minute directions. I've missed countless turns due to the arrow just straight up freezing on the map and refreshing after I have missed the turn. I tried waze and seem to have similar clunky issues. Also Here maps and Bing never really work together. I guess they suspect if i put anything into Here Maps I have an exact address because it cannot find anything based on the name of store or company. I see that there is a Google Maps app in the store but don't really know if i can trust it since it is done by a company that isn't even google...
Drive+ is a good navigation app, but it is free.... :wink: I use Drive+ and CoPilot GPS the most. Dan Rubino has said on the WPCentral Podcast that he likes Navigon the best (I've never tried it). I also have Waze installed and use it rarely - only when there's a traffic problem - because it's a huge battery suck.

Something that I'm wondering is if your car could be the problem. In my Camry, my Garmin dashmount unit can't pick up a single satellite. I have to use an external GPS antenna hooked to it. Something about the windshield blocks the signal. My phone's GPS works, though, just inches from the Garmin (I use the phone because the Garmin is a 2006 model, with 2009 maps). The Garmin worked fine in my old Honda Accord, but in 2010 when I bought the Camry, it doesn't work without the external antenna.

I say this to explain how it is possible that your car is interfering with the GPS signals, causing the faulty location detection. I have no idea what to do about it, if so, since there is no external antenna connector on the phone, but just throwing the idea out there, so maybe you can rule this out as a cause.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I think you have a defective device. I've got a 928 and use HERE+, Gmaps, and some others and they are all pretty rock solid. Get it replaced and then see how it works.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'd stay with the Nokia icon and get a replacement...i hear the camera on the new one is really not that great....and it sounds like there are potential replacements for the GPS but the issues you have are potentially hardware so swap it out...

Having owned a 810, 920, 928, 1020, and now 1520...i can't say i had much issues with hardware aside from

1. Mic issue...though i blame that on the developer preview

2. My phone gets hot on my 1520 but not unbearably so.....

Nokia's hardware is excellent to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss