Music playback issues - sporadic loss of quality

Kristijan87

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
My partner's 920 is having problems with media playback quality. This started shortly before Black and carried into Black as well. So, he's listening to music and all of a sudden sound quality drops, no bass, everything sounds shallow, "flat" and odd. Re-plugging the headphones like a hundred times in a row sometimes helps but usually reboots help. Sometimes even three consecutive reboots are needed to restore sound quality.

We tried factory reset, it didn't help. We tried different headphones, same issue. We tried his headphones on another device, they work perfectly. MP3 files aren't damaged or of poor quality. All system apps are up to date. We even skipped Audio update last night, after the factory reset, to see if it will help, it didn't, so we updated Audio as well in the end.

Could this be a hardware issue after all? Although, reboots do help but it doesn't last for long. Maybe the headphone jack is worn off or contacts are slightly damaged? I did pull a pound of pocket lint from it, but that didn't clear the issue.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Does your headphones have a microphone on them and are they a few years old? If the answer is yes, next time you get this issue try only half-inserting the jack and see if the sound returns to normal.

Kristijan87

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi, the headphones are Nokia's, came with the 920, less than a year old. I think this is related to bad firmware because it just began losing volume control when watching YouTube videos, and I see there's a thread for that particular issue already. :/ I just hope Nokia will fix this soon.

lordbebech

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
i have exactly the same issue, but pushing next track buttont, then previous track button GENERALLY fixing issue...usually some time later bug appears again. Its little annoying. *UPDATE: After recent updates problem haven't appeared anymore. I am glad...just eish that Microsoft have improved New Music app

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon