Charger Can't Keep Up

Doug MacKay1

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Greetings,

I have the CR-200 charger in my car. It generally charges at the rate of 15% per hour.

On full day of driving yesterday, I started with a full charge. After 4 hours, I was down to 42% while the phone was on the charger.

I was using the Here Drive+ app and streaming music via bluetooth. But I was really surprised that 2 apps could drain the battery while charging. Figure a 60% battery loss in 4 hours while adding 15% hour and you get a battery drain of 30% per hour for those 2 apps. or a lifespan of about 3 hours without the charger.

The other issue that surprised me was how hot the phone was. When I stopped at a gas station, I took the phone off the charger for the first time in 4 hours. It was so hot that I put it in the cooler at the gas station while I filled the car. It was crazy hot and made me wonder if that amount of heat would deteriorate the battery. It can't be good for it. It was overcast with no sun on the phone while mounted so the heat was coming from inside the phone, not externally.

I know that GPS is CPU and battery intensive, but it seems like this is a really excessive drain.

Just curious to see if anyone else is having the same battery drain and/or heat issues with similar app loads.

Thanks for any advice.

Doug M.

romant56

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that using my HTC 8X charger would kind of sustain the Icon's battery, but not increase it at all. Even left charging overnight the battery level was the same as where it was when I first plugged it in. The Nokia charger I think says 1.5amps on it, and I bought a second one on Amazon that says 1.3. Both of these charge the Icon fine. I'm guessing it just needs more juice than some other phones, but I'm entirely speculating here. Maybe someone who knows more about electricity can help us.

I've never noticed any overheating, but then again, it's my gf's phone and she's not exactly pushing it to its limits - mostly just texting and Facebooking.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Greetings,

I have the CR-200 charger in my car. It generally charges at the rate of 15% per hour.

On full day of driving yesterday, I started with a full charge. After 4 hours, I was down to 42% while the phone was on the charger.

I was using the Here Drive+ app and streaming music via bluetooth. But I was really surprised that 2 apps could drain the battery while charging. Figure a 60% battery loss in 4 hours while adding 15% hour and you get a battery drain of 30% per hour for those 2 apps. or a lifespan of about 3 hours without the charger.

The other issue that surprised me was how hot the phone was. When I stopped at a gas station, I took the phone off the charger for the first time in 4 hours. It was so hot that I put it in the cooler at the gas station while I filled the car. It was crazy hot and made me wonder if that amount of heat would deteriorate the battery. It can't be good for it. It was overcast with no sun on the phone while mounted so the heat was coming from inside the phone, not externally.

I know that GPS is CPU and battery intensive, but it seems like this is a really excessive drain.

Just curious to see if anyone else is having the same battery drain and/or heat issues with similar app loads.

Thanks for any advice.

Doug M.

What navigation app are you using? Nokia Here Drive allows you to download maps for use offline. That will save some juice by not constantly downloading maps. Also, check to see what background apps are running. Some apps like to run in the background that don't really need to.

Mister_Burris

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issues initially. I drove 8 hours recently and the navigation was killing my battery even while charging. I went to Best Buy and purchased a RocketFish Mobile Car Charger with a 3.1 Amp Output. I haven't had any issues anymore

Doug MacKay1

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
What navigation app are you using? Nokia Here Drive allows you to download maps for use offline. That will save some juice by not constantly downloading maps. Also, check to see what background apps are running. Some apps like to run in the background that don't really need to.

I use the Here Drive + app with all of the maps downloaded. I must have something installed that is causing problems. I used to get 30% recharge per hour, now it is only 15% even with the factory wall charger. I guess I'll do a factory reset and start over to see if that clears everything up. Kind of a bummer, because I have everything set just how I want it.

Doug M.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo