Nokia Lumia 1520 tops phonearena's blind camera comparison! Nexus 5 last, M8 6th

Alex Mason86

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Well that first shot surprises me. The iPhone 5s easily takes the better picture, for example have a look at the black car on the other side of the roundabout. Its like a water colour on the 1520 and clear as day on the 5S. The note 3, G2, galaxy s4 and Nexus 5 all produce details better there as well.

The Nokia does seem to handle colour and balance better though and the detail in the close to medium range looks much nicer. I wouldn't say there is more detail, but the other phones it tends to look a bit more gritty (which I guess helps with their seemingly better detail in the backgrounds). In the night shot the Lumia definitely has good noise control. Better than most. I will say though, perhaps the softness in the background is because of the focal point. It shouldn't be given the type of shot (everything should be in focus) but I have found that if you focus on something reasonably close to the camera, it does a pretty good job (for a camera phone) of giving you a bit of back ground blur to isolate the subject. Something you normally need a wide aperture lens and a physically large sensor to do.

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Testing cell phone cameras and they didn't include the Lumia 1020 (probably one of the best cameras in a phone)? Dumb.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Testing cell phone cameras and they didn't include the Lumia 1020 (probably one of the best cameras in a phone)? Dumb.

That's because they had already done that in their last set of tests. They do these tests every so many months to compare newer phones.

It's not dumb. It's just you not being familiar with their site.

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
That's because they had already done that in their last set of tests. They do these tests every so many months to compare newer phones.

It's not dumb. It's just you not being familiar with their site.

You're right, I'm not familiar with their site. I've actually never heard of them before. I didn't see anywhere in the review, though, that this blind test was something they do regularly and that this was the latest installment of tests or anything to lead me to believe that there were previous blind tests (including, like most other reviewers do, comparing the current "king of the hill" 1520 to the last "king", whatever it was since it wasn't mentioned or referred to).

Now that I know of them, I'll check in more frequently. :)

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
You're right, I'm not familiar with their site. I've actually never heard of them before. I didn't see anywhere in the review, though, that this blind test was something they do regularly and that this was the latest installment of tests or anything to lead me to believe that there were previous blind tests (including, like most other reviewers do, comparing the current "king of the hill" 1520 to the last "king", whatever it was since it wasn't mentioned or referred to).

Now that I know of them, I'll check in more frequently. :)

No problem.

Here's the blind test that the 1020 was in: Lumia 1020 beats the iPhone 5s and Galaxy S4 by a mile in our blind camera comparison

As you can see Nokia took home the prize there as well. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12