Hard reset. help please

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Which process is best for hard reset ? The reset option in settings or using volume keys after restarting ?
I don't think there is a difference, I used the one in the settings three times and it ended up fine so yeah just go for it :p

If it's gonna brick now it would have bricked next month too so there is no reason to wait, why exactly do you want to hard reset?

Last edited:

unnatixlr8

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Go with the hardware way (volume down+power+camera). I had a bad experience with the software method. It went straight to Cog loop. Only a button reset fixed it.

unnatixlr8

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Will hard reset delete my Lumia black ??

No, It will not delete Lumia Black or Windows Phone 8 update 3. It will only delete apps and data.

Don't worry, go with the hardware way and it will get done. Even the software method would work fine. It was my bad luck that day.
Even then, It was during Amber days, now they might just have fixed it.

Mainak47

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
U said that the hardware reset ia to hold the volume,power and camera key. But in a website it is given that only power and volume down buttons is to be hold. Which is correct ?

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Use the software reset. I've used that several times on a variety of phones without any problems. The hardware key combo exists for instances when your phone does not start up.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
U said that the hardware reset ia to hold the volume,power and camera key. But in a website it is given that only power and volume down buttons is to be hold. Which is correct ?

The first is correct. The latter is for a soft reset...basically a more thorough version of rebooting to clear some things from memory.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Go with the hardware way (volume down+power+camera). I had a bad experience with the software method. It went straight to Cog loop. Only a button reset fixed it.

"it went straight to cog loop" how do you know this? There is no way of knowing when it's bricked because it looks exactly the same as when it isn't bricked... My first time hard resetting took almost 24 hours, at first I was sure it had bricked but no it just took really really long

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
"it went straight to cog loop" how do you know this? There is no way of knowing when it's bricked because it looks exactly the same as when it isn't bricked... My first time hard resetting took almost 24 hours, at first I was sure it had bricked but no it just took really really long

...and it shouldn't take that long. That's why it's called the cog loop. A hard reset shouldn't take longer than 10-15 minutes, half hour tops.
I would also assume they knew this since it is their phone and they were actively watching it do the cog loop.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
...and it shouldn't take that long. That's why it's called the cog loop. A hard reset shouldn't take longer than 10-15 minutes, half hour tops.
I would also assume they knew this since it is their phone and they were actively watching it do the cog loop.
so you are saying that my phone was bricked but it resurrected itself? That makes no sense.... Also the other 2 times that I did a hard reset it took atleast 45 minutes

And it is not called a loop when it has an ending you know :p

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
No. In fact the only person (until now) to use the word bricked is you.

Also if you think all loops are infinite then to be honest I'm not sure what I could post that you would understand...

Edit - Actually I found a concise definition that gives the meaning in relation to computers and electronics.

a series of instructions (as for a computer) that is repeated until a terminating condition is reached

After 30ish hours awake I was having a hard time thinking of an easy way to word this...but I think the good old dictionary works well. :)

Also a truly bricked phone by definition shouldn't even power on.

Last edited:

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
No. In fact the only person (until now) to use the word bricked is you.

Also if you think all loops are infinite then to be honest I'm not sure what I could post that you would understand...

Edit - Actually I found a concise definition that gives the meaning in relation to computers and electronics.

a series of instructions (as for a computer) that is repeated until a terminating condition is reached

After 30ish hours awake I was having a hard time thinking of an easy way to word this...but I think the good old dictionary works well. :)

Also a truly bricked phone by definition shouldn't even power on.
Aargh I am defeated!
*crumbles into a pile of dust*

No seriously the only point I was trying to make is that you can't determine if your device is in an infinite loop within an hour and I'm the proof of that because mine took almost 24 hours to complete

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
No one argued that point...

I was saying it is called the cog loop because when something goes wrong there's no way to know if/when it will complete.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)