Nokia Lumia 1520 - Is it future-proof ?

ketan2604

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Is 1520 future proof ? Read somewhere that support for windows phone 8 device ends in june 2014.

I am about to buy 1520. Normally i use my phone for 3-4 years. or should i wait for next line of devices if they are around the corner?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
yes Lumia 1520 is completely future proof , Microsoft pushed support up to 36 months, announcing that updates for the Windows Phone 8 operating system would be made available through January 12, 2016.Windows Phone 8 devices will be upgradeable to the next edition of Windows Phone 8.1.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Is 1520 future proof ? Read somewhere that support for windows phone 8 device ends in june 2014.

I am about to buy 1520. Normally i use my phone for 3-4 years. or should i wait for next line of devices if they are around the corner?
I don't know where you found that June 2014 date, but it is not correct.

You PMd me about this earlier. I do promise that I will reply. It was the middle of the night when I got the PM...and sort of still is. I will have answers to all of your PMd questions later today. :)

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
as future proof as a device u can get these days. with a snapdragon 800 quadcore processor and a 2 gb ram to boot it should be easily able to run next two major updates to windows that is 8.1 and 9 maybe unless microsoft decides it will be best not to support it and force users to buy a new phone.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
as future proof as a device u can get these days. with a snapdragon 800 quadcore processor and a 2 gb ram to boot it should be easily able to run next two major updates to windows that is 8.1 and 9 maybe unless microsoft decides it will be best not to support it and force users to buy a new phone.

Microsoft does not think\work like android , they do distribute os updates if they can optimize for the hardware , if they found that device is not able to run\handle the os they might cancel the update (good eg windows phone 7 users weren't able to update to windows phone 8 due to change in core and kernel so they don't want 7.x users to be disappointed , they gave them a small update 7.8 which enables new lives tiles customization , daily Bing wallpaper) , luck here to get updates after 2 years (Lumia 920 user here ) :smile:

is Samsung galaxy s3 getting the latest kitkat update , why are they taking ages to bring the update :p

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
1520 is definitely future proof. Having a quad core processor, 2 GB RAM and other high end specs, any app, game or Windows OS would be able to run on the device. Also Windows 8.1 would run really smooth like butter on this device. I'm sure even if there are future versions of the OS, they would definitely be compatible with the Lumia 1520. I understand its investing a lot of money but I don't think you should worry much about it.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
The only thing at this point it wouldn't be future proof with is some new hardware feature that comes out, but that's a potential issue for any phone out there really. Otherwise I don't think we're going to see any huge phone hardware changes in the near future that the 1520 would be missing out on.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't help to put peoples mind at rest when you see Nokia bringing out a phone like the Icon and it doesn't/can't have glance.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't help to put peoples mind at rest when you see Nokia bringing out a phone like the Icon and it doesn't/can't have glance.
It can. It's the same exact phone as the 1520 minus the case change and screen size. Sometimes carriers however request that certain features be disabled.

The OEM's have no choice but to acquiesce or not have their device sold by that carrier.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Given that the hardware in the 1520 is the same in the 2520, I think we're okay on this front.

Yup, nearly identical other than the larger battery, larger screen, and camera module from the 720 instead of the 1520.

I own both and they are pretty decent toys to have around for work and play. :)

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
It can. It's the same exact phone as the 1520 minus the case change and screen size. Sometimes carriers however request that certain features be disabled.

The OEM's have no choice but to acquiesce or not have their device sold by that carrier.

Why do you think Verizon is doing this? Are they trying to F with Nokia? are they just retarded? Or another reason?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Why do you think Verizon is doing this? Are they trying to F with Nokia? are they just retarded? Or another reason?

I used to work for Verizon many years ago. At one point in time they were a very good company as regards many things...the last few years they've really seemed to have lost their way. It's why I'm no longer a customer. They are not the same company I worked for...

To be honest I have no idea about the logic behind this specific case...and all the folks I knew that worked there with me that I could have asked have all left...due to how far they've strayed from their original greatness as a company.

Note: For those who love Verizon still that's cool and I won't try to dissuade you here since they aren't evil...just seemingly more incompetent these days.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
To be honest, nothing is future proof especially smartphones. First off, there's the assumption that there is some future complex or demanding game or app that will deman monster specs, thing is that was the same argument put forward last year, yet nothing has materialised. Plus no dev is going to put out software that targets only a subsection of their userbase so its unlikely there will be the need for such "future proofing".

Secondly, you can bet that this time next year the specs will leap forward again with even faster CPU's and maybe more RAM, probably higher res screens and people will ask the same question and the answer will be the same and the software landscape will likely be the same again. Your best bet is to buy the best handset you can afford and enjoy it because one day it too will look "old" and outdated and it happens so fast nowadays its not worth worrying about.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I used to work for Verizon many years ago. At one point in time they were a very good company as regards many things...the last few years they've really seemed to have lost their way. It's why I'm no longer a customer. They are not the same company I worked for...

To be honest I have no idea about the logic behind this specific case...and all the folks I knew that worked there with me that I could have asked have all left...due to how far they've strayed from their original greatness as a company.

Note: For those who love Verizon still that's cool and I won't try to dissuade you here since they aren't evil...just seemingly more incompetent these days.

interesting...

It looks like they are trying to sabotage Nokia but that is just way too obvious... And I don't think Nokia would accept such behavior :p

I'm so happy I live in Europe, we get none of that bullsh*t

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, nothing is future proof especially smartphones. First off, there's the assumption that there is some future complex or demanding game or app that will deman monster specs, thing is that was the same argument put forward last year, yet nothing has materialised. Plus no dev is going to put out software that targets only a subsection of their userbase so its unlikely there will be the need for such "future proofing".

Secondly, you can bet that this time next year the specs will leap forward again with even faster CPU's and maybe more RAM, probably higher res screens and people will ask the same question and the answer will be the same and the software landscape will likely be the same again. Your best bet is to buy the best handset you can afford and enjoy it because one day it too will look "old" and outdated and it happens so fast nowadays its not worth worrying about.

With cell phones you're usually referring to 'future-proofing' as being within the normal upgrade cycle. If that's not what the earlier posters have meant, then that is my bad for interpreting it that way.

So will the phone keep up with things for 2-3 years reasonably? If so it's deemed future-proof within the industry.

You can usually assure this by getting what is currently the top-end phone...but not always. In my case with AT&T the upgrade cycle is once a year with the Next stuff...so for me 'future-proof' means a bit less than it does to some.

Also (and in the US especially) it's easier to get new phones due to subsidies and such. In other countries you usually get cheap pricing on plans if you bring your own device. In the US you actually lose money if you bring your own device since the plans have usually been the same price regardless...so basically why not get a cheap top-end phone instead of using your old one if the price is going to be the same per month?

I realize this is changing. Take the Next plan I mentioned where you don't even have to be tied into a contract for the plan, just for paying off the phone...which is an interest free payment plan essentially, but let's you keep upgrading all the time.

interesting...

It looks like they are trying to sabotage Nokia but that is just way too obvious... And I don't think Nokia would accept such behavior :p

I'm so happy I live in Europe, we get none of that bullsh*t

I hear you...in the US it seems in a lot of ways BS abounds. I'd love to visit Europe at some point...but other than a couple short trips to Canada I have been locked on the West Coast of the US my entire life...and I mean that literally...the furthest inland I've gone is one state east of me. It's not even like I'm avoiding going elsewhere. Life events just keep popping out that I have to contend with first.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
With cell phones you're usually referring to 'future-proofing' as being within the normal upgrade cycle. If that's not what the earlier posters have meant, then that is my bad for interpreting it that way.

So will the phone keep up with things for 2-3 years reasonably? If so it's deemed future-proof within the industry.

You can usually assure this by getting what is currently the top-end phone...but not always. In my case with AT&T the upgrade cycle is once a year with the Next stuff...so for me 'future-proof' means a bit less than it does to some.

Also (and in the US especially) it's easier to get new phones due to subsidies and such. In other countries you usually get cheap pricing on plans if you bring your own device. In the US you actually lose money if you bring your own device since the plans have usually been the same price regardless...so basically why not get a cheap top-end phone instead of using your old one if the price is going to be the same per month?

I realize this is changing. Take the Next plan I mentioned where you don't even have to be tied into a contract for the plan, just for paying off the phone...which is an interest free payment plan essentially, but let's you keep upgrading all the time.

I hear you...in the US it seems in a lot of ways BS abounds. I'd love to visit Europe at some point...but other than a couple short trips to Canada I have been locked on the West Coast of the US my entire life...and I mean that literally...the furthest inland I've gone is one state east of me. It's not even like I'm avoiding going elsewhere. Life events just keep popping out that I have to contend with first.

I always find it really interesting to think about the differences between our countries, like for example if I watch the news one night I know everything that has been going on in the entire country! lol also I can drive to the other end of the country within 5 hours hahhaha

It's funny how you are just as weird to us as we are to you xD
It's really difficult to comprehend how it is to grow up on another continent you know

I have been to many countries but have yet to go to America :)

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I always find it really interesting to think about the differences between our countries, like for example if I watch the news one night I know everything that has been going on in the entire country! lol also I can drive to the other end of the country within 5 hours hahhaha

It's funny how you are just as weird to us as we are to you xD
It's really difficult to comprehend how it is to grow up on another continent you know

I have been to many countries but have yet to go to America :)

Indeed. Just Washington (the state) takes about 8 hours to drive across from end to end...(from the ocean to the border with Idaho) if you're lucky and catch things just right. Otherwise it can take 10 hours or so. The whole of the US would take several days.

We're basically like tons of countries...but all behaving as one.

Personally I often wonder if we wouldn't be smarter if we didn't divide into smaller groups sometimes...but that thought is almost like blasphemy here.

Even tech things are really different here and how pricing is handled, and etc. We're a really strange country, and I can fully admit it.

If you ever did make it over this way and wanted to see some cool tech places like Nintendo, Valve, Microsoft, etc I'd be more than willing to show you around. :)

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Indeed. Just Washington (the state) takes about 8 hours to drive across from end to end...(from the ocean to the border with Idaho) if you're lucky and catch things just right. Otherwise it can take 10 hours or so. The whole of the US would take several days.

We're basically like tons of countries...but all behaving as one.

Personally I often wonder if we wouldn't be smarter if we didn't divide into smaller groups sometimes...but that thought is almost like blasphemy here.

Even tech things are really different here and how pricing is handled, and etc. We're a really strange country, and I can fully admit it.

If you ever did make it over this way and wanted to see some cool tech places like Nintendo, Valve, Microsoft, etc I'd be more than willing to show you around. :)

Not being divided like that does seem smarter but it also seems impossible for such a huge and versatile country :p

I do plan on going to the US sooner or later but first I gotta finish school lol, one of my friends is already planning to live in California and start his bodybuilding carrier :p lol we are polar opposites since I'm more techie but hes a great friend nevertheless hahah

So yeah I will notify you on my Windows Phone 10 Lumia 990 when I'm in the area and we'll see from there :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05