Lumia 520 and 8.1 update

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Greetings,
I am planning to unlock my AT&T GoPhone in the near future and use another provider. Will I be able to update to 8.1 with an unlocked phone?
Will the 520 be able to handle 8.1?
thanks

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey Chris, I did do a search on this site and found little in the way of an answer. I may have missed the fact that all Lumias will get the update (which is great news!) Since my phone will soon be unlocked, will it be AT&T's responsibility to push the update, or Nokia's or Microsoft's, or the new provider? Or will they just point at each other and claim it's not their problem, just like what happened to me when I tried to update a Lenovo product from 8 to 8.1? Microsoft said it was Lenovo's issue, while Lenovo said to contact Microsoft!!! It has been since Oct, 2013, and I still can't get my laptop to run with the update.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
OK, so in general, whether it is SIM locked or not shouldn't affect who pushes the updates.

When you phone is SIM unlocked, it still has the ATT firmware on it, and it is ATT's responsibility to push updates.

However, if you flash it (like i did on my ATT 920 to the default French ROM) then your phone looks to whoever the ROM points to for updates. (In my case, Nokia directly.)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
does anyone know when 8.1 update coming to nokia lumia 520 as recently 2 days ago insalled black update...

the best estimate we have is this summer. (through official channels, although the Developer Preview should appear before that.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786