Will magnets harm a 1020?

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I recently got the joby gorillapod with the magnetic feet (which is totally awesome by the way). If I throw my 1020 into a bike bag with the joby gorillapod, could the magnets potentially harm the 1020? Should they be stashed separately?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Probably not. They make wireless charger with magnets and cases with magnets in the cover. Now myself, I would keep magnets away from my phones.

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Same here, would keep magnets away if possible, especially if they are strong magnets.

Agreed +1. Technically they shouldnt really harm it.. but not worth the risk.. plus the 1020 is small enough to store in a pocket, just dont store it in a pocket where youll be sweating on your bike, salty sweaty moisteur.. now that WILL damage it.

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Just for your interest: BlackBerry is using magnetic sensors in their devices since years, they are also producing holsters and pouches with built-in magnets. These magnets toggle the sensor to either wake the phone of put it to sleep. I don't know a single case where a BB suffered any damage related to those magnets, neither the device itself, nor the used memory card. Since they don't really use different components than any other manufacturer out there, I wouldn't worry about those magnets.

Keep in mind even some Windows Phone flipcases come with magnets, I just ordered a Nillkin flipshell which uses a magnet to keep the cover closed.

Yet I'd be careful with any heavy-duty magnets of course!

Usman Mubashir

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Very powerful magnets can interfere with the antennas, and since I don't know the material used in the ball bearings used in OIS, if it is ferrous then it can get magnetized and you will loose OIS. If the magnet is powerful I will keep them away from any electronic device. If they are normal, then no fear.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon