Who's planning on getting the Nokia Lumia 930?

engineermoore

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
No, Symbian series 60 was definitely a smartphone platform! Obviously what defines a smartphone is still up for debate but if windows phone and ios are smartphones then i would say s60 is as well

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Symbian is not a smartphone platform. It's a feature platform much like Asha. It's not a dumbphone. It's a feature phone. Means it has advanced features without going smart on you. And yes, all the N series was pretty awesome.

I don't share the same opinion. You had all multimedia features, access to 3.5G, touch screen, many kinds of built in sensors, loads of content sharing possibilities, you had an app store with the ability to install apps, even side load them, rear and front facing camera, plus and most importantly, you even had a file explorer and true multitasking! It's way more advanced than the Asha platform. Now, I'm not saying that it worked well, but the capabilities were there.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
No, Symbian series 60 was definitely a smartphone platform! Obviously what defines a smartphone is still up for debate but if windows phone and ios are smartphones then i would say s60 is as well

That said I'll just add this: IMO, if Symbian was a truly smartphone platform, Nokia would have never created MeeGo and later moved to Asha and Windows Phone. They would have build into what was the most used platform at the time, worldwide.

But do we want to go into the discussion of what defines a "smartphone"? I think we would go way off-topic and still don't reach a conclusion.
I think the best is for we all to keep our opinions as to what is and isn't a smartphone and go back to the 930 which we all agree, I think, it's a smartphone XD

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I was planning on getting the one in green but then found out that it can't use the glance feature. This is something I have gotten so accustomed to using lately I just have to have it. Will have to stick to my 1520 until something else comes along.

I'm just curious. If you have a 1520, why would you get the upcoming 930? The 1520 has a very good processor, is still relatively new and has the same imaging as the 930. In my case, I have the 520, so there are a lot of extras I would get if I did decide to get the 930. But what do you gain going from the 1520 to the 930? And in your case you get a smaller screen and much smaller battery.

SpareBot

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
You mean, should have released it for weeks allready? Yes I agree. The more time passes the less "up to date" it will be. That doesnt make the 930 any less a great and desireablr device but as long as android and iOS competition does not fall asleep customers will notice that the 930 does not offer the latest and greatest. The last thing WP8 needs is another outdated flagship for months.

I would still buy or preorder right now (even for the full 580 ?) but I am not so sure if I will accept that price tag in June/July...

savingpvtbryan

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm just curious. If you have a 1520, why would you get the upcoming 930? The 1520 has a very good processor, is still relatively new and has the same imaging as the 930. In my case, I have the 520, so there are a lot of extras I would get if I did decide to get the 930. But what do you gain going from the 1520 to the 930? And in your case you get a smaller screen and much smaller battery.

Screen size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

karmacoma

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm using L920 for year and a half. I want something bigger and stronger, that's why I want it. And since they're same phone with ICON I could use some reviews about it. Anyone?

tropolite

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently on a 1020 and enjoy using it. I was considering getting a 930 for screen size, HD, and the new hardware generally, (and even though I love the 41mpxs on the 1020 I can make do with the slimmer body and 20mpx), but then I looked at the battery life of the 930 (as the Icon and 930 are supposedly the same), and that turned me off. The 1020 has a reasonable battery life (rated at 61hrs (GsmArena)), and the Icon is around 45hrs. I wanted to give the 1520 a go, but I thought the screen size was being a bit too large. But it has had some very good reviews and as far as battery life (107hrs) it really is one to try.

The design of the 930 is very nice indeed but once it is reviewed properly and I can see the actual battery life rather than comparing it to the Icon, I will wait to decide. If the battery life isn't close to the 1020 at least, I will go 1520.

The massive delay in the Microsoft/Nokia merge I feel has really played a part in stalling a number of new phones being released sooner than later. The merger was initially thought to be around Christmas, then Jan. Now by the end of April. The news of the merger was also supposedly bringing about faster development times. Microsoft/Nokia must feel frustrated too as 2014 was gearing up to be a solid ramp in development and sales but momentum hasn't been able to snowball from Q3/Q4 2013. Once the merge can finally go ahead I sense it'll be full steam ahead. I can't wait to see what's in store (both figuratively and physically).

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm using L920 for year and a half. I want something bigger and stronger, that's why I want it. And since they're same phone with ICON I could use some reviews about it. Anyone?

The 930 is definitely NOT stronger than the L920. That I can assure you ;) And apparently it's not THAT much bigger according to Icon users. And as far as I'm concerned...it's not that much better either. Sure, better processors, full HD screen, 20mp etc etc. But the lack of a microSD card slot just limits down all those improvements a lot IMO. Also, for many people the lack of Glance is another thing to make it worse. So I don't think it's justified to spend so much for a phone when you already have a 920, specially if you will still be forced to deal with the limitations of the 920.

giant panda1

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
i hope it launches in time so that i can buy it! i hate 1520 for its screen size and was hoping for this phone to be launched! so all in all i want nokia lumia 930

SpareBot

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
They are quite big in germany and definitly credible im my opinion.

I dont think its unreasonab?e to expect an earlier launch. It would not be a first in the history of smartphone release dates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss